Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Processor for a MiniTech MinMill/3
SprutCAM forum > SprutCAM Forum > SprutCAM Postprocessors
ktory
I have just finished my atttempt at CAD, and want to try it out on my equally new mill (MiniMill/3 - see http://www.minitech.com/hardware/mills/min...ll_03_index.htm )

I have no idea what post-processor to use (or what exactly a post-processor does). Anybody using one of these?
Sprut_UK
I am not using one, but it looks like an interesting bit of kit. There wasn't much info about the control used on that website, but it did something about 'Industrial standard G & M codes'. If nobody comes back with a suitable postprocessor I would start by trying the Fanuc0M.spp, let me know if you need any changes and I should be able to do them for you.

A postprocessor is the part of the software that writes the actual G-code for a specific CNC control. It reads the CLData that is generated by the toolpaths in SprutCAM, and then 'postprocesses' this into a format that the CNC control understands.
A lot of CNC controls use a fairly standard G-code format (e.g. Fanuc - HAAS), but there are some that require a totally different format (Heidenhain - Anilam etc.)

You can run the postprocessor generator (File - Postprocessors generator) to see how it all works. If you have some basic programming knowledge (VB - C etc.) then you will probably be able to work out what is going on. There is a postprocessor tuorial in the later builds of SprutCAM (build 1.14+) which you may find interesting.

HTH

Dave
ktory
The MiniMill/3 uses Mach2 from http://www.artofcnc.ca/index.html if that helps.
Sprut_UK
Have you tried any machining yet on your MiniMill? Which postprocessor are you trying/using?
It would be interesting to see a picture of a part that you have cut smile.gif
ktory
Right now I have an $11,000 paper weight. None of the post processors work for even a simple test program.

I am going to contact MiniTech again, but they were not much use last time.
Sprut_UK
Sorry to hear that you are having some problems still. I have had a quick look at some info about the Mach2 control, and I think that a postprocessor that I have for the Hurco control would be a good one to try.
I have put it on my server here so that you can download it and give it a try.
Please note that there may be some codes used by this post that the Mach2 might not like, so be careful when trying it.
Let me know how it goes, and also let me know if there are any changes needed.

Dave
ktory
I cannot compile the file - I have contacted Sprut support, but have not heard back yet. I think my version of the compiler is out of date. I will let you know how it worked out once I am able to compile.

I appreciate your efforts on my behalf.
Sprut_UK
It's not a problem. I have sent you an e-mail about updating your current version, this should hopefully solve your problems.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.