Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CONVERTING AUTOCAD IGES TO SPRUTCAM
SprutCAM forum > SprutCAM Forum > SprutCAM 7
Jayyy

[size="4"][/size]s

Hi, i am a new user in this sprutcam program, i am currently using Autocad Mechanical 2010 version. and i manage to export my drawing into iges, but here come the issue when im trying to open my file from sprutcam the design that i did from autocad doesnt match the design that i have from sprutcam. example i draw a simple 3d solid box with some holes on it and i convert it into iges then, opening it into a sprutcam what i can see is a hollow drawing and not a solid and somethimes one or 3 faces of the solid object is not shown on sprutcam. mellow.gif

Sprut_UK
Hi Jayyy welcome to the forum.

I would suggest that you take a look at the iges export settings in Autocad and see if these can be tweaked to suit SprutCAM. There are many flavours of iges as the standard is not actually a standard at all.
Page IV-13 of the current user manual gives some pointers on the IGS requirements for SprutCAM.

Regards

Dave
Jayyy
QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Jan 17 2012, 05:14 PM) *
Hi Jayyy welcome to the forum.

I would suggest that you take a look at the iges export settings in Autocad and see if these can be tweaked to suit SprutCAM. There are many flavours of iges as the standard is not actually a standard at all.
Page IV-13 of the current user manual gives some pointers on the IGS requirements for SprutCAM.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave

Exporting IGES files direct from Autodesk Mechanical to Sprutcam just doesn’t work in practical terms. Each and every Mechanical export IGES file we’ve exported needs different and conflicting IGES export settings from our work these last few weeks.
The solution that works for us on all our various drawings to date is to (1) generate the drawing in Autodesk Mechanical, software which we are familiar with (2) Export the drawing in STEP format (3) Open this file in Autodesk Inventor (3) Export using the direct Sprutcam standard plug-in in the Inventor software.
Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jay
Sprut_UK
So, what you are saying then is that Autodesk Inventor will also not open the IGS files from Autodesk mechanical, is that correct?

Dave
Jayyy
Click to view attachment
QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Feb 16 2012, 09:03 AM) *
So, what you are saying then is that Autodesk Inventor will also not open the IGS files from Autodesk mechanical, is that correct?

Dave

blink.gif No, but we did attempt this before, using our same four simple test pieces.

We generated and saved an IGES file from 'Mechanical' then opened it in 'Inventor'. This exhibited the same problems as when we opened an IGES file in Sprutcam straight out of 'Mechanical' - bits missing, spurious elements added etc. We eventually got an acceptable result on two of the four test pieces by opening IGES in Sprutcam straight out of 'Mechanical', but we spent far too much time exploring the IGES export options from 'Mechanical' for this way to be viable.

To clarify our first post, we have found the following procedure to work painlessly on all four of our simple test pieces is (1) Prepare a drawing in 'Mechanical' , saved as STEP (2) Open this STEP file in 'Inventor" (3) Export the STEP file by using the Sprutcam add-in within 'Inventor', which opens into Sprutcam directly.

Just doesn't seem right somehow to have to use another (expensive) software item to "wash" our drawing files. Or maybe we're just pressing the wrong buttons ? Please find attached the following - one of our test pieces in DWG format (a simple, small Christmas tree), a PDF of the DWG file screenshot for ease of reference, and another PDF of the incorrect result when viewed in Sprutcam. Can you try your hand at getting a good Sprutcam view of this test piece ? rolleyes.gif

Rgds,

Jay
Sprut_UK
QUOTE (Jayyy @ Feb 20 2012, 12:49 PM) *
blink.gif No, but we did attempt this before, using our same four simple test pieces.

We generated and saved an IGES file from 'Mechanical' then opened it in 'Inventor'. This exhibited the same problems as when we opened an IGES file in Sprutcam straight out of 'Mechanical' - bits missing, spurious elements added etc. We eventually got an acceptable result on two of the four test pieces by opening IGES in Sprutcam straight out of 'Mechanical', but we spent far too much time exploring the IGES export options from 'Mechanical' for this way to be viable.

So, as I suspected, the IGS files from Mechanical are the problem here, it's nothing to do with the way that SprutCAM is interpreting them.
The Inventor addin for SprutCAM simply converts the selected Part model into IGS format before exporting it to SprutCAM.
SprutCAM 7 does not natively import STEP files.
I am reliably informed that there are plans for creating a new Addin for SprutCAM to be able to import STEP files, but, because this will be on a licensed basis which also means that the addon will not be free. I must admit that I am cautious about this option as I have found the STEP format to be quite poorly implemented by some CAD vendors, and IGS tends to be far more flexible and reliable.

I don't have any Autodesk products here so couldn't natively open your supplied dwg file. I did open it using KOMPAS-3D and exported as an IGS file from there (attached).

Dave

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.