anafranil online
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Export simulation result for subsequent machining?
Mike Henry
post Nov 2 2012, 11:54 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

Is there a way to save the result of a simulation from one project and importing it into another for additional machining?

I have a part that needs to be machined on both sides but I'd like to do the first side on a batch of several parts and do the otherside as a second batch. I see that the simulation results can be saved as an STL file, but with that format the model features that have not been machined yet are lost during the import. That makes it difficult to use the model features in the job assignments for the operations on the second batch.

Mike
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Nov 3 2012, 08:45 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Mike, once you have simulated a SprutCAM project you can export the 'Simulation result'. You can adjust the 'quality' of the exported stl model in Simulation mode by altering the slider for 'Tool/Model tolerance' (see attached image: Tolerance.png).

You can also export the original 'Model' as an stl file. To do this, in Model mode select the complete model and right click on it, then select 'Save as...' (see attached image: save.png). You can also alter the tolerance of this model by altering the 'Tolerance digits' value found under 'System setup' - 'measurement units', see attached image: digits.png.

I hope this helps.

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  save.png ( 44.21K ) Number of downloads: 5
Attached File  Tolerance.png ( 39.64K ) Number of downloads: 5
Attached File  digits.png ( 17K ) Number of downloads: 4

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Nov 11 2012, 06:28 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Thanks Dave. In order to accomplish what I'd like to do, it appears that I'd need to somehow import the STL model and superimpose the exported simulation of machining one end of the part over the model to create the "stock" to be removed. If that is correct, it is not clear to me how that can be done - can you offer any suggestions?

Does SC 8 offer any enhancements that would help with this sort of thing? I've ordered the upgrade and it should be here next week.

Mike

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Nov 3 2012, 08:45 AM) *
Hi Mike, once you have simulated a SprutCAM project you can export the 'Simulation result'. You can adjust the 'quality' of the exported stl model in Simulation mode by altering the slider for 'Tool/Model tolerance' (see attached image: Tolerance.png).

You can also export the original 'Model' as an stl file. To do this, in Model mode select the complete model and right click on it, then select 'Save as...' (see attached image: save.png). You can also alter the tolerance of this model by altering the 'Tolerance digits' value found under 'System setup' - 'measurement units', see attached image: digits.png.

I hope this helps.

Dave

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Nov 12 2012, 07:42 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Mike, in 'Model' mode, select the 'Workpiece' folder, then click 'Import' and select the required *.stl model. The initial X/Y/Z datum for this will be the same as that used in the previous SprutCAM project that the *.stl model was exported from.

The only change to the Workpiece functionality in SC8 is that you can now add stock to a model to effectively create a 'casting' model.
You can see some info on the new features in SC8 here: http://www.sprut.ru/files/SprutCAM8/Whats_...SprutCAM_8.html

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Nov 18 2012, 12:12 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Nov 12 2012, 07:42 AM) *
Hi Mike, in 'Model' mode, select the 'Workpiece' folder, then click 'Import' and select the required *.stl model. The initial X/Y/Z datum for this will be the same as that used in the previous SprutCAM project that the *.stl model was exported from.

The only change to the Workpiece functionality in SC8 is that you can now add stock to a model to effectively create a 'casting' model.
You can see some info on the new features in SC8 here: http://www.sprut.ru/files/SprutCAM8/Whats_...SprutCAM_8.html

Dave

Thanks Dave - it sounds like that would work without too much trouble. SC8 arrived yesterday and I hope to give it a spin tomorrow.

Mike

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2019 - 12:31 AM