Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 4 axis machining part from round stock
johntm
post Dec 8 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,736

Dave et al,

I have a fairly simple part I'd like to mill from 2" round stock. I have had no real trouble setting up the first face of the part to rough waterline and I have the workpiece and the fixture figured out, but now I'm stuck on indexing the piece 90, 180, and 270 degrees to mill the other three faces. I'd like to mill all four faces with one tool then change tools to a finisher and do all four again.

????

Anyway, at least I got some machinable wax. I was even breaking bits in wood! laugh.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Dec 8 2008, 11:11 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

John,
You must have a machine type selected which allows 4th axis machining e.g 4-axis milling machine (A)
When you have created your machining operation, then, in the lower half of the split window, select 'Rotary axis - Axis A Position and enter the required index angle.
Simply repeat these steps for the other faces.......
You will need to use a postprocessor which is enabled for 'Multigoto' moves.....

If I have time tomorrow, I will try and add a short tutorial about this topic to my support site.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
johntm
post Dec 9 2008, 01:47 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Dec 8 2008, 05:11 PM) *
John,
You must have a machine type selected which allows 4th axis machining e.g 4-axis milling machine (A)
When you have created your machining operation, then, in the lower half of the split window, select 'Rotary axis - Axis A Position and enter the required index angle.
Simply repeat these steps for the other faces.......
You will need to use a postprocessor which is enabled for 'Multigoto' moves.....

If I have time tomorrow, I will try and add a short tutorial about this topic to my support site.

Dave
I was hoping you'd say that last part... wink.gif

I'm assuming the Tormach machine and postprocessor are all compatible with what I'm trying to do?

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Dec 9 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

OK, the new tutorial is available..........
Yes, your Tormach machine is capable of doing rotary index and rotary live axis machining. I have created a Multigoto postprocessor for Tormach......I'm not sure if they have completed testing of this yet though.

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
johntm
post Dec 10 2008, 01:44 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Dec 9 2008, 08:02 AM) *
OK, the new tutorial is available..........
Yes, your Tormach machine is capable of doing rotary index and rotary live axis machining. I have created a Multigoto postprocessor for Tormach......I'm not sure if they have completed testing of this yet though.

Thank you Dave! smile.gif

+Quote Post
markwink
post Dec 10 2008, 02:59 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,306

The current Tormach post does not support the Multigoto - 1/17/08 version from their site

- I can see the Multigoto line with the correct data (in the simulator)
- Although the g-code has no Axx data after posting.

I have a note into Tormach

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Dec 10 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

I'm not sure how long Tormach's testing of the post will take.............if you want to try it out for yourself you can download the version which I have created for them here
If you decide to try this, and you can use the standard SprutCAM postprocessors with your version of SprutCAM, it is provided without warranty on my part, please treat it very carefully if you decide to use it.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
markwink
post Dec 10 2008, 07:19 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,306

Dave,

Is the .ppl variety available?

Mark

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Dec 10 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (markwink @ Dec 10 2008, 07:19 PM) *
Dave,

Is the .ppl variety available?

Mark

Sorry, you will have to obtain this from Tormach.........

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
mayhugh1
post Dec 11 2008, 05:04 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 49

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Dec 10 2008, 10:13 PM) *
Sorry, you will have to obtain this from Tormach.........

Dave,
I've been studying the multigot mods you made in the Tormach post. I'm wondering why the variable 'changed' is incremented the way it is, i.e. 1, 2,4,8. It looks like you are trying to maintain information via its actual value to be able to tell not only that an axis value has changed but also which axes changed. Since it is a local variable it isn't visible to the other functions, and so I'm wondering if something else is missing or coming later?
Terry

--------------------
Terry

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Dec 16 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Sorry for the delay in responding but I've been on vacation for a few days.
I have included the Changed variable as this was in the example that was presented to me when the first iteration of the GMA Array was introduced.
I think that it is simply checking that any of the array values have changed, if they have then they will be output, if non have changed then it will skip the Outblock command avoiding a blank line.

I hope this helps.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
johntm
post Dec 30 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #12

Dave, thanks again for posting the video. It solved the problem.

I have gotten the part out now, but I am wondering about the local coordinate systems. It looks like if I create a coordinate set based on rotation around the x axis I can then use the 2-d drawing tools to create geometry in that plane for tooling, work zones, etc., but I'm kinda stuck there. I can't get it to reliably apply the changes I make.

Do you have time in the near future to make a video explaining the use of the user-created coordinate systems? I found the post in "Tips and Tricks" with a link to a related video, but the link is dead.

Also, is there a way to save fixtures so they can be accessed by more than one program? I have made a fixture of my 3-jaw chuck that I'd like to be able to use without cutting and pasting from the debug window.

One last question: I've created models of my toolholders, but Sprutcam doesn't really seem to make use of them. I've seen a few instances where the toolholder contacts the fixtures (and one gouge in my chuck to prove it) and the simulator doesn't report the contact error. Is it possible to make SprutCAM check for toolholder contact?

+Quote Post
pbachert
post Dec 31 2008, 04:15 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,729

QUOTE (johntm @ Dec 30 2008, 09:10 AM) *

I have gotten the part out now, but I am wondering about the local coordinate systems. It looks like if I create a coordinate set based on rotation around the x axis I can then use the 2-d drawing tools to create geometry in that plane for tooling, work zones, etc., but I'm kinda stuck there. I can't get it to reliably apply the changes I make.

Do you have time in the near future to make a video explaining the use of the user-created coordinate systems? I found the post in "Tips and Tricks" with a link to a related video, but the link is dead.

Also, is there a way to save fixtures so they can be accessed by more than one program? I have made a fixture of my 3-jaw chuck that I'd like to be able to use without cutting and pasting from the debug window.

One last question: I've created models of my toolholders, but Sprutcam doesn't really seem to make use of them. I've seen a few instances where the toolholder contacts the fixtures (and one gouge in my chuck to prove it) and the simulator doesn't report the contact error. Is it possible to make SprutCAM check for toolholder contact?

I just finished programming a part with the 4'th axis and multiple user coordinate systems on the tormach miller. Here is what I did. I set the part up in Sprutcam using 4 local coordinate systems. I didn't try to use the rotary table commands as it's not in the post anyway. After I completed the program and ran the post I used notepad to open it up and edit it manually. I added my fixture offsets using G54, G55, G56, and G57 codes in the post where appropriate. I also added my rotary commands the same way, G0 A180, etc. Use the offsets screen on the Tormach to set the zero zero locations for all coordinate systems. You can toggle through and set each one. You only have to set tool heights in G54, the first one. Then establish all other sytems and Z heights. Read the book a few times on tool setting, using multiple tools, section six, and multiple work origins section 6.5. Dry run the program away from all your fixtures to make sure you have everything in the right spot, rotary commands, work origins etc. I didn't and had to tweak my program a few times to avoid crashes. Well worth the trouble as it's a good learning experience. let me know if you need help or want to see some code, I'll try and help you, Pete Bachert

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Dec 31 2008, 08:30 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (johntm @ Dec 30 2008, 12:10 PM) *

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay, but I've been struck down with a 'man cold' over Christmas. I had planned to add quite a few new video tutorials over Christmas....but having lost my voice it makes it quite difficult rolleyes.gif
I will try and get an introduction to the LCS video done soon.

Regarding your question about fixtures.....I assume you are talking about extruded 2D fixtures? If yes, then there isn't a away of saving them for use in another project. You could create yourself a 'template' project which would have the fixtures already created and then use this as a starting project......simply rename the new project to avoid overwriting the template.
If you are happy to just import the 2D Geometry and re-extrude it for the new project you can simply use the 'Export in DXF' option which is available from the SprutCAM 'File' menu.

I don't know why not, but no versions of SprutCAM have yet flagged up a toolholder collision with a Fixture.......this is something which I raised with them some time ago and I was assured it was on the list...........I'll chase them up on this one when they are back in the New Year.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
johntm
post Jan 2 2009, 02:00 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (pbachert @ Dec 31 2008, 10:15 AM) *
I just finished programming a part with the 4'th axis and multiple user coordinate systems on the tormach miller. Here is what I did. I set the part up in Sprutcam using 4 local coordinate systems. I didn't try to use the rotary table commands as it's not in the post anyway. After I completed the program and ran the post I used notepad to open it up and edit it manually. I added my fixture offsets using G54, G55, G56, and G57 codes in the post where appropriate. I also added my rotary commands the same way, G0 A180, etc. Use the offsets screen on the Tormach to set the zero zero locations for all coordinate systems. You can toggle through and set each one. You only have to set tool heights in G54, the first one. Then establish all other sytems and Z heights. Read the book a few times on tool setting, using multiple tools, section six, and multiple work origins section 6.5. Dry run the program away from all your fixtures to make sure you have everything in the right spot, rotary commands, work origins etc. I didn't and had to tweak my program a few times to avoid crashes. Well worth the trouble as it's a good learning experience. let me know if you need help or want to see some code, I'll try and help you, Pete Bachert

Thanks Pete! For this particular part, I was able to get away with using the global coord system and as you suggested, manually entering the A rotations in notepad. Since I was working from round stock, I just set the coords to the center of the cross section and x to the end. That kept the coordinates constant throughout the run.

What I am trying to understand now is the utility of the user coordinate systems, and how to impliment them with regards to 2d geometry for use as fixtures, work areas, etc. I can't seem to make them work consistently.

+Quote Post
johntm
post Jan 2 2009, 02:01 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Dec 31 2008, 02:30 PM) *
Hi John,

Sorry for the delay, but I've been struck down with a 'man cold' over Christmas. I had planned to add quite a few new video tutorials over Christmas....but having lost my voice it makes it quite difficult rolleyes.gif
I will try and get an introduction to the LCS video done soon.

Regarding your question about fixtures.....I assume you are talking about extruded 2D fixtures? If yes, then there isn't a away of saving them for use in another project. You could create yourself a 'template' project which would have the fixtures already created and then use this as a starting project......simply rename the new project to avoid overwriting the template.
If you are happy to just import the 2D Geometry and re-extrude it for the new project you can simply use the 'Export in DXF' option which is available from the SprutCAM 'File' menu.

I don't know why not, but no versions of SprutCAM have yet flagged up a toolholder collision with a Fixture.......this is something which I raised with them some time ago and I was assured it was on the list...........I'll chase them up on this one when they are back in the New Year.

Dave

Thank you, Dave. I'll be looking forward to the new videos. I must say again, the subscription fee if WELL worth the price! Hope you are feeling better soon!

John

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 4 2009, 01:29 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (johntm @ Jan 2 2009, 02:01 AM) *
Thank you, Dave. I'll be looking forward to the new videos. I must say again, the subscription fee if WELL worth the price! Hope you are feeling better soon!

John

Ok, I've created a couple of new video's which are available under the Advanced heading. One shows how to create and use coordinate systems for use with G54 - G55 work shifts on a CNC control. The other tutorial shows how to create and use 2D geometry on different planes.

I hope you find them useful.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
johntm
post Jan 4 2009, 11:50 PM
Post #18

Thanks Dave! Question answered!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2018 - 10:25 PM