Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Problem with 2D contour 3d contour, Problem with 2D contour 3d contour
Bob Gray
post May 3 2015, 11:47 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,592

I had a few of these tubes to do and figured I'd let the machine do the debur work for me. See attached files and pictures. I wanted to run a chamfer tool around the edge of the hole. But since the hole is in the side of a tube its not all on one plane. So I tried 2D contour with project tool path turned on. This caused the tool to want to start as can be seen in the "screen shot 1.jpg" in the part itself. Then if you look at the code generated as shown in "screen shot 2.jpg" as short X, Y, Z moves instead of nice simple smooth circles.

I tried 3D contour which worked, but it gave the same type of code. I checked and arcs are turned on. Is there some other setting that I'm missing?

Thanks
Attached File(s)
Attached File  screen_shot_1.jpg ( 346.74K ) Number of downloads: 13
Attached File  Screen_shot_2.jpg ( 420.87K ) Number of downloads: 12
Attached File  70.064_Rev_E01_KF25_tube.stc ( 173.42K ) Number of downloads: 1

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
danh818
post May 4 2015, 02:09 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,448

Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable than me can hop in here, but I believe the linear moves are a result of your post. I used to get the same results with thread milling. Jason at Tormach just recently adjusted my post to export helical arcs. However I run a Haas. I was told that some machine controls cannot always accommodate helical arcs so that solution may not be applicable to you.
Good luck,
Dan

+Quote Post
Bob Gray
post May 4 2015, 03:39 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,592

I to run a Haas mini mill and vf2. I fixed the post a long time ago so it would do helical moves.

But then if you look at screen shot 2. You will see that sprutcam before it does a post is generating the short x, y, z moves. When i had problems doing a helix in, sprutcam would generate the helix you could simulate the helix, but when you went to post the helix that it when you ran into the limitation of the post processor. , z

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post May 4 2015, 06:51 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Bob,

As Dan has already stated, the output of helical moves is dependant on the postprocessor being used. If it isn't set to output helical moves it will instead 'linearise' all of the moves.
However, because you are using helical moves in the first operation I assume that your postprocessor already supports this?

The first operation is outputting helical moves because it is doing a circular move with a fixed Z depth change, however, while the deburring also does a circular move, the Z depth is constantly changing which means it is not a helical move. SprutCAM will machine this as a 3D toolpath that is linearised (Goto).

The 2D Contouring operation allows you to project the current toolpath onto the part. When it is projecting the toolpath onto the part this also includes the 'approach' and 'retraction' moves.
As can be seen in your first image, the approach and retraction moves effectively 'fall off' the top of the part and are therefor being projected onto the bottom of the part.
To solve this you can alter the approach and retraction moves so that they use a radius that is smaller than the 'effective' radius (Contact point) of the tool.

I hope this helps?

Dave[attachment=380:70.064_R..._tube_dp.zip]
Attached File(s)
Attached File  70.064_Rev_E01_KF25_tube_dp.zip ( 125.55K ) Number of downloads: 4

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2019 - 06:30 PM