Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V10 first impressions
Rahmtech
post Dec 17 2015, 04:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,908

This is my first impressions of SprutCAM 10. Many thing looks the same, it is familiar and easy to get started. The new Face Milling cycle is a big advantage! Realy good with soft corners and constant radial engagement. It will reduce wear on cutter.

The hole software feels faster. When translating models it goes fast, my impression is much faster then v9. Good work!

The new geometry updater is alone worth updating for. It reduces time and trouble. Great!

One thing the have impressed me with SprutCAM is that the toolpathes are solid. I never have problem with crashes. If rhe right tool is selected then it just works.

The things I would like to see change in SprutCAM is following.
A new updated tool database. The tool database don?t need to be super advanced. The main drawback in SprutCAM tooldatabase is that feed/speed isn?t stored together with tool. See picture (tool.png) for a very simple solution. Each tool must "own" it?s on data in a very simple way. Before SprutCAM I used EdgeCAM and OneCNC. EdgeCAM has a advanced tooldatabase where you define inserts, material, tool body etc and links it all together. The thought is good but even if you have same inserts in several tools you don?t end up with same feed/speed. Feed/speed depend on more thing then an insert. If you ask me EdgeCAM solution failed a bit by being to complicated. Don?t make it to complicated. In OneCNC you set a base material and then all other materials was a % factor of the base material. That was crap to work with but it was simple. A solution and this is more versatile then first suggestion is pic tool2.png and techonlogy.png. Press a button and open a technology window for that tool (not insert). This is simple and fast. There must always be a Feed/Speed dialog at main toolwindow for thoose who don?t like/use technology, maybee a mix of them. In general it is better to have feed/speed at toollevel then a more complex solution and setting feed/speed at insert level.

Maching material on partlevel. Easy way to apply stock material. If steel is the select stock material then match feed/speed for each tool. Let the user specify a standard material.

Multiple windows / instances at same time.

The tools should be defined according to ISO 13399. Read more about ISO 13399 here. https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-gb/know...es/default.aspx

Adapter/holder and material should be placed outside each toollibrary. If you have three machines you probably have about the same holders in them. Make a separate section for milling holders where you create them and them link a holder to each tool. The tool or toollibrary should not hold holder or material information. If you have to create the same holder more then once something is wrong. Holder and material are not machine specefic data.

The tool handling is SprutCAM mayor drawback. In every other way I think it is a good software with great functions.
This is my thoughts and ideas. Feel free to comment.
/micke
Attached File(s)
Attached File  tool.png ( 248.08K ) Number of downloads: 6
Attached File  tool2.png ( 237.76K ) Number of downloads: 8
Attached File  technolgy.png ( 30.76K ) Number of downloads: 7
Attached File  holder.png ( 129.16K ) Number of downloads: 5

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2019 - 09:22 AM