> Universal cutter compensation
bones288
post Aug 26 2014, 02:10 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,509

Hello Dave,

Is there some way for me to enter a tool wear cutter compensation value so that all tool paths that use, say, tool#2 will be modified without having to change EVERY tool path that uses tool #2?

Even if I change the .xml tool file with the new value (say 1/8" - 0.002") all of the tool paths I've previously created will remain as 1/8". I'd really rather not have to go back in and modify all 47 paths separately.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bones
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Aug 26 2014, 07:17 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

The only way that I know of is to set the 'Compensation type' to 'Control' within a SprutCAM operation. This would then require that the tool size (diameter / radius) would need to be entered into the CNC controls own tool library.
This would need to be enabled for each SprutCAM operation that uses this same tool for finish cuts.
You would need to be careful that the selected cutter size is able to machine all features whilst using CRC (Cutter Radius Compensation) because SprutCAM will not be able to check for any cutter interference, this will be left to the CNC control instead.
For example, if you have 2mm internal radius and you are using a 10mm diameter cutter, SprutCAM will automatically correct for this and will machine what it can using that size cutter, however, if this is left to the CNC control to deal with, it will most probably create a CRC / interference alarm message.

I trust this makes sense?

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
bones288
post Aug 26 2014, 07:01 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,509

Dave,

I may have come across something else that seems to work though is still untested on the machine as of right now:

1) Edit library tool #2 .xml file for new tool diameter (say 1/8" - 0.002")
2) Open tool program
3) Go to Operations window (mode window?) and select first operation using 1/8" bit (tool #2)
4) Right click on the operation and select 'Tools kit' pull out menu option
5) Select 1/8" bit (tool #2)
6) Do that for each tool path using tool #2
7) Re-run the program and post process

You'll find that each operation that was changed this way will have the new width for tool#2. If you miss changing one it will hold onto the old value of width, so it's easy to tell if it's been skipped.

The above sequence sounds like a big pain but there is only one data entry and a series of easy right-click/left-click after that. You don't have to go into the Parameters of each tool path and start mucking around. The more data entry/mucking around you do the more likely it is to miss something or enter something wrong.

The sequence above took me under 3 minutes to change ~25 tool paths and recompile the results. So it's really easy.

I've finally got my parts (the same ones you've been helping me with this entire time) into the single digits accuracy range (approx a tenth of a millimeter). Which, on the Tormach, I think is pretty good. But my parts are small and I want to dial things in just a little further. So this week I'm dedicated to exploring tool wear compensation.

Let me know if you see something wrong with my solution and thanks again.

-Bones

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2019 - 02:47 PM