Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sprutcam Lathe Help Needed
mecheng10
post Jun 23 2012, 08:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,418

I have been trying to create a tool path for a lathe part for a couple of weeks now and no matter what approach I take, I cannot get Sprutcam to generate a tool path that doesn’t remove excess material from the convex curved section. Based on the part and tool geometry used, I cannot think of any valid reason why it would be impossible for the software to generate a path that would very precisely follow the, yet per the simulation it removes far too much material (up to .012” gouge). I have confirmed that the tool path does indeed take away too much material by actually running the generated tool path and measuring the resulting part. Are there some settings incorrect in my file that could be causing this?

Attached File  Sprutcam_Screen_Shot.JPG ( 144.41K ) Number of downloads: 10

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mecheng10
post Jun 24 2012, 01:06 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,418

Attached is a zipped version of the .stc file I am having trouble with. I suspect some type of resolution or accuracy setting may be the cause, but I can't find one to change that appears to have any effect.

Attached File  Follower.zip ( 71.48K ) Number of downloads: 1

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Follower.zip ( 71.48K ) Number of downloads: 2

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jun 24 2012, 06:50 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Welcome to the SprutCAM forum.

I think that this is a toolpath display problem.
In 'Model' mode, select the part model then select 'Properties' and on the Visual tab move the slider across to 'High'. This displays the model as accurately as possible.

In 'Simulation' mode make sure that the Geometry model is visible and not the Part model, then slow down the simulation and single step the tool through the area in question, and the tool follows the Part model and not the displayed toolpath.
If you look at the CLData in the left hand area of the screen you can see that the displayed toolpath for that area is actually a single arc.

I only usually run SprutCAM in Metric mode so this might be an imperial units issue. I would suggest that you contact your SprutCAM reseller and ask them to get it checked out.

Have you machined the part yet?

Dave

Attached File(s)
Attached File  24_06_2012_19_38_26.png ( 43.28K ) Number of downloads: 7
Attached File  24_06_2012_19_42_23.png ( 66.98K ) Number of downloads: 6

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Jun 24 2012, 10:01 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Jun 24 2012, 06:50 PM) *
Welcome to the SprutCAM forum.

I think that this is a toolpath display problem.
In 'Model' mode, select the part model then select 'Properties' and on the Visual tab move the slider across to 'High'. This displays the model as accurately as possible.

In 'Simulation' mode make sure that the Geometry model is visible and not the Part model, then slow down the simulation and single step the tool through the area in question, and the tool follows the Part model and not the displayed toolpath.
If you look at the CLData in the left hand area of the screen you can see that the displayed toolpath for that area is actually a single arc.

I only usually run SprutCAM in Metric mode so this might be an imperial units issue. I would suggest that you contact your SprutCAM reseller and ask them to get it checked out.

Have you machined the part yet?

Dave

I saw this message in a different forum and played with it a bit, though I don't know much about lathes in SprutCAM. I noticed that the insert in his parameters was specified as triangular but displayed as 80? rhombic or something similar. I re-selected triangular for the insert in the Tool setup screen and the simulation came out much better.

Attached File  Follower_mph.zip ( 81.1K ) Number of downloads: 2

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jun 28 2012, 09:20 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Change the 'Miscellaneous' - 'Tolerance' to 0.001 instead of 0.005.

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  28_06_2012_10_23_29.png ( 21.19K ) Number of downloads: 9

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2019 - 06:41 PM