Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Openning files exported by Rhino3D
magnum
post Apr 16 2010, 04:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,144

I have files I am exporting as .3dm,.stp,3ds, .lwo and several other formats from Rhino3D V4.0. When I try and import the file into SprutCAM it actually opens up Rhino3D instead of importing the file. Not sure exporting a .3ds file from Rhino would cause SprutCam 7 to try and open Rhino3D.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Apr 16 2010, 05:41 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (magnum @ Apr 16 2010, 05:46 AM) *
I have files I am exporting as .3dm,.stp,3ds, .lwo and several other formats from Rhino3D V4.0. When I try and import the file into SprutCAM it actually opens up Rhino3D instead of importing the file. Not sure exporting a .3ds file from Rhino would cause SprutCam 7 to try and open Rhino3D.

SprutCAM cannot import stp or 3ds files etc., it can however open native Rhino files (*.3dm). If you have the Rhino addin enabled and you select to open an stl file (for example), what should happen is SprutCAM should quietly run Rhino to open the file and basically convert it into a file format that SprutCAM can use, and then load this into SprutCAM.
From what you are saying it would appear that this is not happening correctly and instead of Rhino opening quietly (in the background) it is opening Rhino completely.
Do you have the Rhino addin fully installed and enabled in SprutCAM?
Does the SprutCAM shortcut work correctly from within Rhino?
If you select 'Import' in SprutCAM and select a native Rhino3D file, does this open ok?

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Live
post Apr 16 2010, 05:46 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,767

Hello Magnum,
SpruCAM can read the Rhino 3dm files directly.
So if it doesn't, this is a bug.
You can try this.
Go to the SprutCAM->Main menu->Tools->Addin Manager.
Find the RhinoCeros Addin and disable it, than press ok.
After disabling the RhinoCeros addin try to import any 3dm file.
It should be loaded directly without launching the Rhino 3d.

+Quote Post
magnum
post Apr 16 2010, 06:22 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Live @ Apr 16 2010, 12:46 AM) *
Hello Magnum,
SpruCAM can read the Rhino 3dm files directly.
So if it doesn't, this is a bug.
You can try this.
Go to the SprutCAM->Main menu->Tools->Addin Manager.
Find the RhinoCeros Addin and disable it, than press ok.
After disabling the RhinoCeros addin try to import any 3dm file.
It should be loaded directly without launching the Rhino 3d.

That seemed to fix it.

+Quote Post
magnum
post Apr 16 2010, 06:28 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Apr 16 2010, 12:41 AM) *
SprutCAM cannot import stp or 3ds files etc., it can however open native Rhino files (*.3dm). If you have the Rhino addin enabled and you select to open an stl file (for example), what should happen is SprutCAM should quietly run Rhino to open the file and basically convert it into a file format that SprutCAM can use, and then load this into SprutCAM.
From what you are saying it would appear that this is not happening correctly and instead of Rhino opening quietly (in the background) it is opening Rhino completely.
If you select 'Import' in SprutCAM and select a native Rhino3D file, does this open ok?

Dave

No come to think of it, I am on a demo of SprutCAM and until last week was on a demo of Rhino. I have since purchased Rhino and reinstalled it, so no SprutCAM plugin. I am still on the demo version of SprutCAM until I order my CNC in the next week or so from Tormach.

+Quote Post
magnum
post Apr 16 2010, 06:50 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Apr 16 2010, 12:41 AM) *

Dave

Ok I uninstalled and reinstalled SprutCAM and reactivated the Toolbar from Rhino. So now I have the SprutCAM toolbar in Rhino...

However. Once it spawns SC, it gives me a error that it can copy the file to a .bak. Will not open in SC and then I can not save he original Rhino file again, only can do save as.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2019 - 09:22 AM