Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sprutcam 2007 and Solidworks ?
djb
post Jun 1 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

Does Sprutcam 2007 give you the ability to import with a newer version of Solidworks using the pluggin available in Sprut? I believe the current version is limited to Solidworks 2005.

David

David
http://www.gtmbuild.com
http://www.norcal-cobras.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Booth
post Jun 1 2007, 05:13 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 35

I've just been to the SolidWorks website and done a search for 'SprutCAM' there.

The first result on the list is about how SprutCAM works with SolidWorks 2006.

The second result is about how SprutCAM is a 'SolidWorks Solution Partner'. It wouldn't be much of a solution if updating SolidWorks meant you had to buy a new CAM software!

I use Solidworks 2004 at present and was a little worried by your post. It would be nice if someone could confirm SprutCAM works with solidWorks up to and including 2007 (and ideally if it will work with the soon-to-be-launched SolidWorks 2008).

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jun 1 2007, 08:02 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

I don't know, but I know a man who should......so I've e-mailed him to see what he has to say on the subject.
I'll be sticking with Kompas-3D V8 Plus instead of SolidWorks.....but the addon for this wont work until V9 is released next month.....

I know that they don't always keep bang up to date......the new Rhino V4 models will not import in SprutCAM......I've asked him about this too.
For those of you using Rhino V4, just us SaveAs and select Rhino 3 as the file type as a workaround.

Dave

+Quote Post
rsmachine
post Oct 31 2007, 12:34 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,872

I have Solidworks 2007 and SprutCAM 2007 and they work together just fine.

Sean

+Quote Post
renlearn
post Nov 5 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,058

I use SW2007 and recently downloaded SC2007. Now, when I export part file from SW2007 into SC2007 or SC4.0, the part in SC2007 or SC4.0 shows only curves (not surfaces). I made sure that all the options (curves, surfaces, etc.) are selected while importing the part. Same thing happens if I try to import .igs files into SC. Without solid geometry, I am unable to use SC. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help in advance.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Nov 5 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Does it work if you do an IGS export from SolidWorks and you then open this in SC2007 / V4?

Beer makes you feel how you ought to feel without beer.

+Quote Post
renlearn
post Nov 5 2007, 04:36 PM
Post #7

Hi Sprut_UK,

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes. I did .igs export from SW2007 and then tried to import the part/model in SC. I can open my old SC4.0 files (.stc) files without problem. I have difficulty importing the new parts in SC.

+Quote Post
rsmachine
post Nov 6 2007, 01:17 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,872

Have you tried installing the Solidworks add-in in SprutCAM? By doing this adds a SprutCAM drop-down at the top in Solidworks. Then all you do is click on the drop-down and click on SprutCAM and SprutCAM automatically opens with the model.

Sean

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Nov 6 2007, 07:48 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Sorry, I didn't read your original post correctly.....[ohmy.gif)]
Have you tried importing the tutorial model which is supplied with SprutCAM 2007 (perfume box.igs), does it import ok?
in SC 2007 there are a variety of different visual settings on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen, I dont think that the installation defaults are very good.........please check these.
Although it shouldn't affect visibility, make sure that all of the buttons are pressed on the 'Filters' toolbar.....

Dave

+Quote Post
renlearn
post Nov 6 2007, 04:14 PM
Post #10

Yes. I have installed add-in for SW. It worked fine when I had only SC4. Now, I have both SC4 and SC2007, the add-in always export files to SC4.0, even though I have removed add-in for SC4.0 and added it for SC2007.

As far as .igs files are concerned, I have been able to import tutorial (.igs) files without problems. When I save SW files in .igs format, I am unable to import surfaces. How does the curve tolerance affect importing the model?

I can open old .stc files in SC2007 that I created in SC4 fine. However, the machining result visibility does not coincide with the work piece or the part (the orientation is different than the work piece or part).

Thank you all for your feedback.

+Quote Post
renlearn
post Nov 6 2007, 05:27 PM
Post #11

Since I need SC working for a project, I uninstalled SC4 and SC2007 completely and reinstalled only SC2007 thinking that it may solve the problem. It did not. FYI

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Nov 6 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

I should have asked before......what build of SC 2007 are you running?
I don't think that the Curves approximation tolerance' will affect surface / solids on import, it only affects curves which need converting at import time.

If you e-mail a problem *.IGS model to me I will try it here and see if I get the same result.
Unfortunately, I do not have SW so I cannot do any direct testing.....I do have a few customers using SW with SC 4 & 2007 with no reported problems.

What *.IGS export options (if any) do you have in SW?

Dave

+Quote Post
renlearn
post Nov 6 2007, 06:51 PM
Post #13

I found the problem. I imported the .igs model back in SolidWorks. Instead of solid, it came in as a wireframe model and contained only curves.

For some reason (I don't know how), I must have selected wireframe export option in SW. It affected direct SC as well as .igs exports I was trying. I should have thought of this before. My mistake.

Thanks to all of you. Thanks Dave.

+Quote Post
Maurice Proulx
post Nov 7 2007, 03:49 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Converted Post)
Yes. I have installed add-in for SW. It worked fine when I had only SC4. Now, I have both SC4 and SC2007, the add-in always export files to SC4.0, even though I have removed add-in for SC4.0 and added it for SC2007.

I renlearn

I had exactly the same problem: the only solution I found is deleting completely SC4. It is now opening in SC7. BTW you could try changing the name of the folder of SC4 instead of deleting it. I thought of this solution only after deleting SC$.

Maurice Pr.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2019 - 05:52 PM