Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SprutCAM 2007?
Mike Henry
post Feb 24 2007, 03:17 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

Is there any word on when SprutCAM 2007 might be released?

Will it offer any new or improved features for milling or is it going to be "just" add capability for lathe work?

Mike
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Booth
post Mar 30 2007, 12:02 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 35

Well, in a couple of days' time there will only be three quarters of 2007 still left!

I understand there might be a little difficulty giving an actual date for the launch of SprutCAM 2007, but is there any chance of a little update on news etc. about the progress? Do they want any current users to 'Beta' it? I'd be interested in that.

I will laugh if SolidWorks launches their 2008 update before SprutCAM launches their 2007 - and that is beginning to look like a possibility.

Chris Booth

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Mar 30 2007, 04:19 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Chris/Mike,

Well it started off life as SprutCAM 2006........
I have been beta testing it for some time now. While most of the changes are to do with the turning operations, there are also a few changes related to milling too.
One of the best changes is a brand new simulator......the mesh model workpiece is no more!

I don't want to go and let any rabbits out of the hat that I shouldn't (although they are so old they've bred like you know what!), so I'm not going to give anything away for the moment. I will check with the software guys to see if they are looking for any end user beta testers.

As for when it'll be released.......you might as well ask me "How long is a piece of string?"

Chris, how's life in sunny Spain? Sorry I haven't been in touch lately but things have been somewhat hectic......
Are you still needing some training on that machine of yours?

Dave

+Quote Post
Chris Booth
post Mar 30 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #4

I must say I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

I don't know why, but I think it will be released quite soon (this may end up being a post to look back on and laugh at).

Life in sunny Spain is fine as usual - and its the America's Cup here in Valencia for the next few months which will definitely be interesting for the locals.

I still haven't found an alternative training source for the Microkinetics CNC Express Mill, and I

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Mar 31 2007, 02:16 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Thanks Dave - I've been checking here and the SC web site several times a week hoping for news as I hope get back to the CNC mill soon and will be delving back into SprutCAM a little more often. I hope that Chris's premonition is fairly accurate.

Mike

+Quote Post
Chris Booth
post Apr 13 2007, 02:07 PM
Post #6

The guys at http://www.sprut.ca/ seem to be letting people try out a pre-release version. They say "SprutCAM 2007 demo is here.
Please follow this link to download the demo version of SprutCAM 2007. Install the demo and then fill out the form and press send to receive the activation code via e-mail."

For people anywhere in Europe and genuinely interested I'm pretty sure that my reseller in the U.K. can also offer a time-limited but fully functional demo. Their website is at http://www.sprut.co.uk/ and they're contactable by e-mail at enquiries@sprut.co.uk

Of course 'pre-release' isn't the final version, but if there are any 'lurkers' on the forum who need a good CAM program and need to evaluate if SprutCAM 2007 will do everything they need, then this could be the way forward, since by the time a trial period times out (30 days) they'll have evaluated it and the final version will be a month closer to release!

I'm guessing here, but if someone trialled the pre-release and said they'd buy it but it had to be the definitive 'SprutCAM 2007', the reseller would probably extend the pre-release trial until the official launch.

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Apr 14 2007, 02:38 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Thanks Chris - will SC2007 and SC 4 co-exist without messing up the driver for a USB dongle or causing other problems?

Mike

+Quote Post
Chris Booth
post Apr 14 2007, 02:04 PM
Post #8

Yes Mike, they will co-exist without messing up the driver for a USB dongle. A copy working with an activation code doesn't need to seek permission to work from a dongle - the activation code sets off an internal 30 day countdown in the software from activation to expiry (at least that's my understanding, but I'm no computer expert). I have SprutCAM 4.30 with a USB dongle and SprutCAM 2007 with an activation code and I haven't had any problems so far. Both copies are in the "Sprut Technology" folder, but from there on they're split between a "SprutCAM 40" folder and a "SprutCAM 2007" folder.

I export models from SolidWorks to SprutCAM and they now automatically launch SprutCAM 2007 rather than SprutCAM 4.30. That's not a problem, but it could be if I came across a bug in SprutCAM 2007 and wanted to do the work in SprutCAM 4.30 - but that hasn't happened so far.

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Apr 14 2007, 07:07 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Thanks Chris. I d/l'd the demo last night but haven't had time to install it or play with it yet.

Will posts for SC4 work with it OK?

I'm using a Tormach mill and Mach2 in case that matters.

Mike

+Quote Post
Chris Booth
post Apr 15 2007, 12:54 AM
Post #10

So far I've only copied and pasted one post from the "Postprocessors" folder in "SprutCAM 40" to the "Postprocessors" folder in "SprutCAM 2007", for a 3-axis milling machine (although its actually a ShopBot CNC 'router') but it seems to be writing code in exactly the same way as it did from SprutCAM 4.30

And I've only post-processed one small project so far (5 operations) so it's a bit early to give the idea that I'm very confident everything will work as before!

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Apr 15 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

OK - sounds like it would be a good idea to cut some air before getting a cutter too close to the mill vise.

Is there anything new in the user interface or available cutter types in SC 2007?

Mike

+Quote Post
Chris Booth
post Apr 15 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #12

Hi Mike,

obviously there's loads of new stuff relating to the new lathe capabilities - but I won't even play with that for some time ( I haven't got a lathe - but I suspect it will serve also for a 4th axis added to the ShopBot).

I haven't seen any new tool types for milling - I don't think there are any.

There are some pretty big changes to the machining window. Whereas previously you had to explicity ask for SprutCAM to calculate the next operation based on the rest material from previous operations (if you wanted to), now the standard procedure is that the next operation will be based on the rest material (I think!)

This has a slight downside if you e.g. change the order of a couple of operations - obviously it has to re-calculate all operations below the highest one changed.

But the upside far outweighs this: first of all its logical, it more accurately reflects the machining process, and second, there is direct access to displaying in the machining viewport what they call the "machining result" (for any operation). That means you can either just show the final model in the machining viewport (as before), or follow the process of material removal operation by operation from the workpiece to the completed job. And switch between what's shown as you like. It's like being able to move the results of what's shown in the simulation viewport (after any operation, not just the last) into the machining viewport.

But the biggest single improvement I've been impressed by so far is the simulation quality. It can be very detailed. People with plenty of RAM will love it, but people with less may have to lower the level of display they ask it to prepare or it might become a problem.
I've got 1Gb of RAM and want to leave the settings as they were upon installing it, and I'm thinking of getting a 2nd Gb just to stop the simulation possibly becoming a slight bottleneck.

I often use ball-end cutters, and e.g. roughing of 3D surfaces with small ball-end cutters. Even though the model surfaces may be quite simple with few relatively few faces, a detailed e.g. roughing waterline with a ball-end will give a post-roughing result with thousands of faces to calculate and display - and frankly it does it very well, but I can see it could be a bottleneck.

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Apr 16 2007, 12:53 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Thanks Chris - that sounds like some nice improvements. I've downloaded the demo, but won't be able to try it out for a week due to work load and a short vacation. No sense in wasting a week of the demo.

Mike

+Quote Post
sanjeev
post Apr 16 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 79

Hi,
Will the last released version of sprutcam be upgraded to sprutcam2007? Or is a new license purchse required?....can we get an add on for the turning module?

I have just purchased a license of sprutcam a month back and would like get my hands on the latest stuff. We are really having fun with sprutcam.
Cheers
Sanjeev

Sanjeev Kumar S.R
Managing Director
Camtech CNC Pvt Ltd

+Quote Post
Chris Booth
post Apr 16 2007, 06:37 PM
Post #15

Hi Sanjeev,

I think the answers to those questions will depend entirely on the conditions of purchase of your license. I'd start by checking any paperwork relating to the purchase and consult with the people you got it from.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Apr 17 2007, 06:13 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Sanjeev, Chris is right, you should contact your SprutCAM reseller and they will be able to inform you of the upgrade procedure.

For those that are already running the pre-release version, there are a couple of issues with this version that I know of.....

1: Flatland finish only works sporadicly when using a cylindrical mill. Workaround: use a torus mill with a corner radius greater than 1mm. This is already fixed for the production version.

2: Some of the default values in the milling tool library are 'inverted'. This is under investigation and will be sorted for the first release.

Dave

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2019 - 09:12 PM