Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Multiply group - making multilple parts
Deep
post Jan 24 2013, 12:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,194

This has been a question for a long time and my current project has pushed to ask for help.

I'm making a small part with 11 operations. I then use "Transformation - Multiply scheme - Two dimensional array" in order to make multiple parts.

If I want to change the number of parts I'm making I have to go to each operation into the Transformation tab and change the number of rows and columns needed. So that means opening 11 windows to update quantities (which for me is an opportunity to make a mistake 11 times as opposed to once).

So my question: is there a way to update all operation transformation rows and columns all at once in a global manner? I didn't have much luck with the SC7 help files but I did run across the "Multiply group" function that sounds like what I need. However, I can not find it let alone how to implement it.

As my parts are getting more complicated with lots of operations this is getting to be an issue.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 24 2013, 06:52 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

If you are using the Multiply group function you don't need to use 'Multiply scheme' which is available separately for each operation.
Create your multiply group feature, then add each operation to this to program the first part only, now edit the Multiply group itself to generate the repeated operations.
You can use the 'By blocks' or 'By operation' to control how the machining is done on each part: each part is finished before the next one is started, or, each operation machines all parts before the next one is started...........this actually controls the toolchanges.

I hop this helps.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Deep
post Jan 28 2013, 01:53 AM
Post #3

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

I have not had any luck figuring out the "Multiply Group" function and assume it is something simple I'm missing.

I'm attaching two files where I modeled a simple hex nut with two operations.

nut 4 pecies.stc: I made four nuts by the transformation option. (This is how I have made all my repetitive parts so far)

Multiply Group test nut.stc I placed the operations into a "Multiply Group" folder and can't figure out how to get it to work....

Thanks, Mark...

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Multiply_Group_test_nut.stc ( 438.15K ) Number of downloads: 7
Attached File  nut_4_pecies.stc ( 541.69K ) Number of downloads: 5

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 28 2013, 08:07 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Your project is correct. Please click on the 'Multiply group' operation and you can see the resulting cutterpaths (see attachment).
Because the multiplications are actually taken care of by the postprocessor, the simulator within SprutCAM cannot simulate the multiplied operations, in other words, it will only simulate the 'original' operation(s) and the postprocessor will produce the multiplied parts.

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  28_01_2013_08_03_39.png ( 29.69K ) Number of downloads: 21

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Deep
post Jan 28 2013, 10:29 PM
Post #5

HOW COOL!!

Thanks so much Dave

I know everyone on this forum really appreciates your expertise and willingness to help us out with this challenging software.
Thanks again...

ps it took a while to find the "multiply group" button hidden in the "Rest Machining" tab. There is no mention of it in either the online manual or embedded help. Frustrating to know its there but can't find it.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 28 2013, 11:00 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

It's my pleasure.
I really like the 'Multiply group' function, for an ex production machinist such as me, to find such a powerful tool for repeating machining operations with easy reordering of toolchanges is a very powerful tool.........alas, I think that it is probably a bit of a 'thorn in the side' for the software engineers and they might like to get it out of the way so that they can add other 'better things in' instead.........who knows?
The 'Transformation' method of repeating operations is still very good, but it's kind of 'cluncky' when compared to the 'Multiply group' function, but it's probably also better maintained than it's predecessor.

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Deep
post Oct 15 2013, 09:12 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Jan 28 2013, 03:00 PM) *
It's my pleasure.
I really like the 'Multiply group' function, for an ex production machinist such as me, to find such a powerful tool for repeating machining operations with easy reordering of toolchanges is a very powerful tool.........alas, I think that it is probably a bit of a 'thorn in the side' for the software engineers and they might like to get it out of the way so that they can add other 'better things in' instead.........who knows?
The 'Transformation' method of repeating operations is still very good, but it's kind of 'cluncky' when compared to the 'Multiply group' function, but it's probably also better maintained than it's predecessor.

Hi Dave,

I was wondering if the "multiply group" function is different in SprutCam 8?

I had two things I didn't like about it in 7, first is that the whole operation was not displayed in the machining simulation (just the static tool paths) and when moving between parts the spindle comes to a stop and starts up again (annoying when doing a bunch of operations close together where it takes longer for the spindle to stop and come back up to speed that it takes for the actual op, for example spot drilling).

I'm considering upgrading to 8 and looking for the tipping point.

Thanks, Mark...

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Oct 16 2013, 08:52 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Hi Mark,

I haven't used Multiply group in SC8 recently so I do not know if it's functionality has changed from SC7.........but I doubt that it will have changed much - if at all. They recommend using the 'Transformation' method instead.

If you haven't already tried it, you can obtain a free trial of the SprutCAM 8 software from your SprutCAM reseller so that you can test it to see if the upgrade is suitable. This will not affect your existing SprutCAM 7 installation.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2019 - 10:39 PM