Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Making a helical groove with 5D contouring
Dan Bogen
post May 29 2018, 09:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,666

I am running SprutCAM 11, but I don't know whether the problem I am having is specific to this version. I am trying to make a helical groove in a cylinder using 5D contouring on a 4-axis machine. If I use a helical curve to drive the 5D contouring (using 5D Curve), then the tool vector wraps around helix, so the tool is cutting from the outside of the cylinder, inward, at the beginning the the helix; and by the time I get to the end of the helix, the tool is cutting from the inside, outward. If I use the surface of the groove to drive the 5D contouring (using Drive Faces), something similar happens; and it appears (maybe ?) that the surface normal is rotating along the groove. I can't quite figure out whether the "front" of the surface actually flips at some point.

I don't know whether there is something wrong with my model file, or whether I don't have SprutCAM set up correctly. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks, Dan
Attached File(s)
Attached File  helical_groove.stc ( 654.68K ) Number of downloads: 1

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dan Bogen
post May 31 2018, 12:26 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,666

I'm happy to report some progress. Instead of importing the geometry as a STP file, I imported the Alibre part file using the Alibre add-in. With this geometry the 5D Contouring with the groove selected as Drive Faces worked correctly.
BTW, it wasn't simply Alibre exporting STP incorrectly. I also had tried generating the geometry using MOI, importing either the native MOI file (3DM) or STP. Here I had the same problems that I had with the Alibre STP file.
Hope this helps someone.

Dan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th August 2018 - 09:09 PM