Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> round array not working
bll230
post Jun 29 2016, 08:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,558

Has anyone tried to use the round array choice in hole machining? I cannot get mine to work. All it does is mill the same hole in the same place the number of times I put in the count box.

Out of curiosity I tried the other choices, the two dimensional worked, but the axis symmetry and the point symmetry did not work either.

I was able to use the "pattern" option in the job assignment to get the radial copying, but the round array should work.

Note, the picture I just put in to show the screen, I did have a non zero step angle in. I tried many different step angles.

Thanks

John
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Capture.PNG ( 48.33K ) Number of downloads: 8

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bll230
post Jun 30 2016, 01:33 AM
Post #2

My wife figured it out. (she is computer engineer, but she doesn't know Sprutcam)

The X and Y are relative coordinates, relative to the first hole, NOT absolute coordinates.

There is no indication in the graphic or anywhere in the Sprutcam manual that the coordinate values are not absolute.

It is a great program, but the RussEnglish manual translation can be hard to deal with at times.

John

+Quote Post
bll230
post Jul 7 2016, 04:50 PM
Post #3

Update-

When I finally got around to making my part the g-code had no output for my hole pocketing. I changed the hole pocketing code type from canned to long hand and got the g-code, but the round array was putting my holes in the wrong place. I then changed the X and Y back to absolute coordinates and it worked.

After some thinking this makes sense. If the hole pocketing is done with a subroutine call the subroutine doesn't know what the absolute coordinates of the calling program are, so it references the hole location. If the code is generated for the hole pocketing then Sprutcam knows where the absolute coordinates are so it references off the part's origin.

Dave, why does the canned cycle not work with the Tormach? I did have extcycle set, since I figured I had the latest Tormach postprocessor.

Thanks

John

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jul 8 2016, 07:34 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Dave, why does the canned cycle not work with the Tormach? I did have extcycle set, since I figured I had the latest Tormach postprocessor.

I'm not sure if the PCNC postprocessor that is included with the standard SprutCAM 10 installation is the latest one? I have checked this and there is no routine included within the EXTCYCLE section for 'W5DHolePocketing(491)'. This could simply mean that nobody has added the feature to the postprocessor, or, that the PCNC does not have a G-code cycle for circular hole pocketing in which case the 'Long Hand' option would have to be used instead.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2019 - 08:46 PM