Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to restrict waterline roughing?
neeboy
post Jan 23 2015, 02:46 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,566

How can I restrict the area that a waterline roughing operation takes place in? Please see the attached screenshot; I only want the circular area to be machined out, I have selected it (Face 2)...so why why why does it insist on machining outside that area? I'm guessing that I have to define a "job zone" but I haven't got a handle on that... (This was imported as an IGES file) Thanks for any help!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  how_to_restrict_waterline_roughing.JPG ( 181.06K ) Number of downloads: 17

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vvelikov
post Jan 23 2015, 07:57 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,583

i think you need to spend some time looking at the Sprutcam tutorials - there are plenty of them in youtube otherwise you will struggle to use the full potential of the software.
As for the job zone definition - you need to do the job zone border in 2d geometry, or you also can import some 2d geometry and use it where needed.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 24 2015, 08:31 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

What SprutCAM is doing is known as 'Rest roughing' i.e. it is machining the workpiece that remains from the previous Roughing waterline operation. As a workaround for this job you could 'try' adjusting the 'Residual thickness' value to see if this will 'restrict' some or all of the unwanted toolpaths for you.
The default in metric units is 0.01mm for this (found under Trimming), you could try using 1 or maybe even 2 mm (or more) for this.
The other way of achieving the result you require would be to create (extrude?) your own workpiece just for the area required. The Roughing waterline operation will 'only' machine a workpiece wink.gif

I concur withe the previous advice about learning more about the Job assignment features. I would add to this learning a bit more about 'Fixtures' if you aren't already using them. Fixtures are another method available within SprutCAM for restricting machining.

Just ask here if you require any more pointers.

I hope this helps?
Attached File(s)
Attached File  24_01_2015_20_37_42.jpg ( 19.15K ) Number of downloads: 18

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
neeboy
post Jan 24 2015, 09:24 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,566

Thanks for the help, guys! cool.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th February 2019 - 01:38 AM