2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coming soon: SprutCAM 9!
SprutCAM
post Jan 13 2014, 05:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,589

Advanced Robot module, Morph operation, Feature based drilling, High speed cutting, Interactive machine and more in new version! Check full list of new features here and stay tuned!
What's new in SprutCAM v9
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Val
post May 17 2014, 10:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,307

QUOTE (SprutCAM @ Jan 12 2014, 10:40 PM) *

Advanced Robot module, Morph operation, Feature based drilling, High speed cutting, Interactive machine and more in new version! Check full list of new features here and stay tuned!
What's new in SprutCAM v9

one thing that I have been wanting is the ability to pick start/end points for the machining operations, just like we can in 2D contour. My other main issue is we have finishing passes but we do not get a set of Feed options, roughing is usually done with a faster feed rate because well the surface finish is not important.

Many times I ended up duplicating same operation and changing feed speeds for finish pass, would be very nice to have at least feed option, spindle is not as important, can insert that manually easy but feeds at different passes just is too time consuming on some features.

Does sprutCAM 9 address any of these things? The new features are very broad and vague at the moment on the site.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post May 18 2014, 08:17 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Val,

SprutCAM already has this feature available in the Waterline roughing and Pocketing operations, see the attached image.
The options available vary according to the SprutCAM operation being used.

or, maybe you need it for a different operation?

If you are unclear on any of the new features, just post here what it is you aren't sure of and I'll see what I can find out.

Dave

Attached File(s)
Attached File  18_05_2014_21_15_21.jpg ( 92.05K ) Number of downloads: 20

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Val
post May 19 2014, 01:03 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ May 18 2014, 01:17 PM) *
Hi Val,

SprutCAM already has this feature available in the Waterline roughing and Pocketing operations, see the attached image.
The options available vary according to the SprutCAM operation being used.

or, maybe you need it for a different operation?

If you are unclear on any of the new features, just post here what it is you aren't sure of and I'll see what I can find out.

Dave

yes I saw that, but it is not available in all the machining operations you are right about that, I wish it was more of a drop down menu or something next to the tabs when you check finishing either in Z or XY path

I have never tried the area's in the "machine state" for approach reference point and return reference point, I do not know if that would be the point for the operation? either way it asks for X Y Z points, would love if there was simple graphical option to click and say start from this etc.. end here etc..

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post May 19 2014, 03:25 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

The Approach and Return positions do not dictate the start and finish points.
Here is the description taken for the SprutCAM Help files:

The Approach and return reference points define additional tool approach/return path to/from the first/last machining point. When used together with the tool change position approach reference points determine a tool path from a tool change position to the first machining point, while the return reference points determine a tool path from the last machining point to a tool change position.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Val
post May 19 2014, 05:55 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ May 19 2014, 08:25 AM) *
The Approach and Return positions do not dictate the start and finish points.
Here is the description taken for the SprutCAM Help files:

Dave

Thanks, thats what I was thinking but I went and did a quick test after I posted, which proved what you stated.

Now do you think we can ever get those features? Those are pretty important at times on the position to s tart to machine and exit. At least if we could get them on a few more machining operations that would be great

Another issue, I would love if the cylindrical mill have a definition for center cutting or not, that would possibly at least force the software to start outside or possibly ask the user for start point. Because a lot of the Rougher endmills do not cut with the center, and ironically the roughing and finishing operations do not give the user the option to pick a location to start/end at, normally this is done either outside of the work if possible or prefered to plunge in a pre drilled location.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post May 19 2014, 07:04 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

The Waterline roughing and Pocketing operations already start outside of the workpiece (where possible). You can already define the plunge position for Waterline roughing and Pocketing as a pre-drilled hole.
The Finishing operations have 'Lead in / Lead out' options that allow 'plunging' outside of the part (where possible).

This is off-topic for this thread which is really about the new version 9.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Val
post May 19 2014, 08:07 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ May 19 2014, 12:04 PM) *
The Waterline roughing and Pocketing operations already start outside of the workpiece (where possible). You can already define the plunge position for Waterline roughing and Pocketing as a pre-drilled hole.
The Finishing operations have 'Lead in / Lead out' options that allow 'plunging' outside of the part (where possible).

This is off-topic for this thread which is really about the new version 9.

Dave

fair enough, I started a separate thread in SC 7 forum, and sample part.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post May 20 2014, 04:55 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Good idea, thanks for that.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
danh818
post May 26 2014, 02:22 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,448

Any idea when SC9 will be available? I have seen a few video tutorials pop up on YouTube. I have a feeling that HSM will be greatly improved in the next version. I am very much hoping that there will be an easier way to define local CS in SC9 as I have had some discussions with Eric from SC America about this. Also the above request to adjust milling tool paths similar to the current lathe/2d contouring would be a huge benefit. And hopefully finally ridding us imperial folks of the lathe tool unit bug.

+Quote Post
Val
post May 26 2014, 04:00 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (danh818 @ May 25 2014, 07:22 PM) *
Any idea when SC9 will be available? I have seen a few video tutorials pop up on YouTube. I have a feeling that HSM will be greatly improved in the next version. I am very much hoping that there will be an easier way to define local CS in SC9 as I have had some discussions with Eric from SC America about this. Also the above request to adjust milling tool paths similar to the current lathe/2d contouring would be a huge benefit. And hopefully finally ridding us imperial folks of the lathe tool unit bug.

I asked on FB of all places, and they were saying they were hoping by end of this week, I guess it got delayed but thats expected in software world heh, but good news is that if there are no other delays it will be very soon!

+Quote Post
Val
post May 26 2014, 04:05 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

I want to know something about SC8 and SC9

I never got to asking about SC8 post processor change from SC7, (as I had made my mind back when SC8 came out to skip SC8)
(if the SC8 post processor not appropriate question to be asked I can start a thread in SC8 forum)

Is this a dealer thing? because the USA dealer is mostly dealing with there own machine that they sell, I do not see any details at the USA site store about post processors. As far as rest of us who use other machines, how are the post files handled? will the user get the option to mess around with the post like in SC7? is there a cost to get a post for a machine? how many posts are included in SC8

next up, how does all of this change in SC9? will SC9 carry over SC8 post processor structure?

+Quote Post
danh818
post May 26 2014, 04:59 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Val @ May 25 2014, 09:05 PM) *

I never got to asking about SC8 post processor change from SC7, (as I had made my mind back when SC8 came out to skip SC8)
(if the SC8 post processor not appropriate question to be asked I can start a thread in SC8 forum)

Is this a dealer thing? because the USA dealer is mostly dealing with there own machine that they sell, I do not see any details at the USA site store about post processors. As far as rest of us who use other machines, how are the post files handled? will the user get the option to mess around with the post like in SC7? is there a cost to get a post for a machine? how many posts are included in SC8

next up, how does all of this change in SC9? will SC9 carry over SC8 post processor structure?

I originally started with SC7 when we had a Tormach mill. We then upgraded to SC8. And after a few months we brought in a Haas lathe. We had to purchase the extra post processors. We could have built our own, but that is A LOT of work. We then sold our Tormach mill and brought in a Haas mill. Eric from SC America has been a great asset, helping to tweak the posts we use, and even contacting Germany and Russia to help resolve some issues.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post May 28 2014, 01:03 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Val @ May 26 2014, 05:05 AM) *

SprutCAM 8 uses postprocessors with a *.sppx extension which cannot be used in previous versions of SprutCAM. This is because there is functionality in SprutCAM 8 which doesn't exist in earlier versions. SprutCAM 8 can use postprocessors from previous versions of SprutCAM (*.spp & *.inp).

SprutCAM dealers can choose to supply their own postprocessors with their own SprutCAM installations. Each dealer can decide whether they charge for supplying postprocessors. Postprocessors can be 'locked', these versions have an extension of *.stfc.
In the UK we do not currently charge our customers for supplying existing postprocessors, but we do apply a charge for anything other than minor postprocessor modifications.

To my knowledge, there are no major changes with postprocessoring between SprutCAM 8 and SprutCAM 9.

I hope this helps?

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Val
post May 28 2014, 07:54 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ May 28 2014, 06:03 AM) *
SprutCAM 8 uses postprocessors with a *.sppx extension which cannot be used in previous versions of SprutCAM. This is because there is functionality in SprutCAM 8 which doesn't exist in earlier versions. SprutCAM 8 can use postprocessors from previous versions of SprutCAM (*.spp & *.inp).

SprutCAM dealers can choose to supply their own postprocessors with their own SprutCAM installations. Each dealer can decide whether they charge for supplying postprocessors. Postprocessors can be 'locked', these versions have an extension of *.stfc.
In the UK we do not currently charge our customers for supplying existing postprocessors, but we do apply a charge for anything other than minor postprocessor modifications.

To my knowledge, there are no major changes with postprocessoring between SprutCAM 8 and SprutCAM 9.

I hope this helps?

Dave

Great! thank you.

So to clarify my SC7 post will most likely work in SC8? or will it need to be tweaked by my dealer for new features of SC8/9 ?

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post May 28 2014, 09:14 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Whilst I cannot give any guarantees, in my experience with SprutCAM version changes, the older style postprocessors have always been supported.
The only slight caveat to this is when using a version 7 postprocessor in SprutCAM version 8 or 9, you will need to check the output of the drilling cycles. If they work ok, then that's good, however, if the output is wrong, you will need to set the 'CYCLE (for old postprocessors)' option that is found in System setup (see attached image).

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  28_05_2014_22_15_54.jpg ( 103.46K ) Number of downloads: 13

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
danh818
post Jun 4 2014, 01:06 AM
Post #17

Anyone having luck downloading the SC 9 demo? I have been able to get the web downloader, but when I run it the modules do not download.

**edit** found the culprit. The Verizon myfi that we run the office internet off of will not connect to the Russian server. I was able to use the backup AT&T DSL and it is downloading now, albeit verrrry slowly. I will have to try and punch a hole in the Verizon device for the future.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jun 4 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Thanks for the update. All is working well here. It'll be interesting to hear how others are getting on with the download and install of V9?

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Jun 4 2014, 07:53 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Jun 4 2014, 04:37 PM) *
Thanks for the update. All is working well here. It'll be interesting to hear how others are getting on with the download and install of V9? Dave

Can V9 and V8 be installed on the same PC and be functional so long as only one version is running at a time?

Mike

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jun 4 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

V9 has an updated licencing system that I am still getting used to, but as far as I am aware it shouldn't be a problem.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th February 2019 - 01:03 AM