Reply to this topicStart new topic
> corner rounding end mills
gabe
post Jan 26 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,302

Hi All:

I tried to post this topic last night, but apparently it didn't work. I hope I am not posting twice, if so sorry in advance.

I am a Tormach PCNC 1100 recent owner, and I use Sprutcam 2007. We use the machine for prototyping and what we call short runs (500 parts or less). We machine Aluminum, Copper, and Delrin.

we have a new prototype that has a lot of rounded corners. So I bought a set of carbide corner rounding end mills, 1/2", 3/8", 1/4", 3/16", 1/8", 3/32 and 1/16.

When I went to Sprtucam to define the tools, I found no corner rounding end mills. I thought maybe I coulde download a more complete tool library than the sandvik that is included with Sprutcam, but couldn't find anything. since we don't have that many of these tools, I wouldn't mind creating them and adding them to a custom library, but I don't see how to create the tool radius in sprutcam.

How can I create these tols in sprutcam? or is it possible at all?
Attached File(s)
Attached File  corner_rounding_end_mill.gif ( 4.17K ) Number of downloads: 8

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 26 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Gabe, unfortunately the attachments feature on the forum isn't working correctly at the moment. Probably best to load any images onto a server and create a link to it for now.

The type of tool I think that you are referring to is the 'Mill with negative radius'. This type of tool is available in the 2D Contouring - 3D Contouring and 2.5D Chamfering operations.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Jan 27 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Jan 26 2008, 07:49 PM) *
Hi Gabe, unfortunately the attachments feature on the forum isn't working correctly at the moment. Probably best to load any images onto a server and create a link to it for now.

The type of tool I think that you are referring to is the 'Mill with negative radius'. This type of tool is available in the 2D Contouring - 3D Contouring and 2.5D Chamfering operations.

Dave

Dave,

For the benefit of lurkers, I think that the typ of cutter Gabe refers to is shown here:

http://www.stanford.edu/group/prl/document...es/image002.jpg

second from the left and labeled as 1/4 rounding.

It's very good to see that Sprut added this type of cutter - is that new with SC2007?

Do you know if they have any plans to add dovetail or keyway cutters?

Mike

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 29 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Hi Mike, sorry I missed your reply.........

>It's very good to see that Sprut added this type of cutter - is that new with SC2007?
I'm pretty sure that they were available in V4 too.

>Do you know if they have any plans to add dovetail or keyway cutters?
From a simulation point of view the dovetail and keyway cutter are already supported:

This is achieved by using a combination of Tool and Tool holder. It does not have any effect on the cutter path calculation.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Jan 29 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Jan 29 2008, 10:23 AM) *
>Do you know if they have any plans to add dovetail or keyway cutters?
From a simulation point of view the dovetail and keyway cutter are already supported:

This is achieved by using a combination of Tool and Tool holder. It does not have any effect on the cutter path calculation.

Dave

I tried playing with angles on the engraving bit a little but it wouldn't take anything over 90. I guess that simulation (with toolholder modeled as cutter) is better than nothing but true representations of these cutter would be nice to have. I'll email the suggestion to Yuri.

Mike

+Quote Post
Guest_Joe Mac_*
post Mar 4 2009, 09:35 PM
Post #6

Guests

Hello all, this is my first post. We just started using SprutCAM with our Tormach so I'm pretty new at this. I just discovered the Negative Radius Mill thanks to this forum. But I can't figure out how to do a Job Assignment for it. I tried looking through the Help but no luck. I see 3 options, Add Cover, Add hole, and Add... Each of them requires me to select curves, but my model doesn't appear to have any curves. I made a simple block in Solid Edge with a top edge radius. I exported to SprutCAM like I normally do, I can add other processes, but not this one. How do I get this to work??? Not sure why this process needs curves and all the others I used accept faces. I would think that I would be able to just select the radius like the other jobs, but no luck.

Thanks

Joe McDaniel

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Jan 26 2008, 12:49 PM) *

Dave

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Mar 5 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Joe Mac @ Mar 4 2009, 09:35 PM) *
Hello all, this is my first post. We just started using SprutCAM with our Tormach so I'm pretty new at this. I just discovered the Negative Radius Mill thanks to this forum. But I can't figure out how to do a Job Assignment for it. I tried looking through the Help but no luck. I see 3 options, Add Cover, Add hole, and Add... Each of them requires me to select curves, but my model doesn't appear to have any curves. I made a simple block in Solid Edge with a top edge radius. I exported to SprutCAM like I normally do, I can add other processes, but not this one. How do I get this to work??? Not sure why this process needs curves and all the others I used accept faces. I would think that I would be able to just select the radius like the other jobs, but no luck.

Thanks

Joe McDaniel

Hi Joe,

The Mill with negative radius does not work for any of the surface machining strategies, only for 2D Contouring - 3D Curve milling and 2.5D Chamfering. It is only really there to facilitate simulation.
For the 2.5D Chamfering operation you need to construct a 2.5D model from extruded curves and then select your tool type as Mill with negative radius. On the Strategy tab you must set the chamfer and tool deepening to the same size as the cutting radius (Rc) of the tool.
If you don't have any curves with your solid / surface model then you can use the 'Project' or 'Intersect' or 'Sew' function to create them from the model.
Here is an example I have just created to show you: (note the white curve at the top edge)

I hope this helps.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2019 - 03:26 AM