> Tormach 3 phase?
Sprut_UK
post Aug 27 2016, 04:44 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi All,

Just a general question regarding the Tormach PCNC 770...........I am looking at a second hand one of these in the UK, but the seller reckons that it requires 3-phase power supply. I am a bit surprised by this because I thought (assumed) that they only required a single phase supply?
Are they 3-phase or is this an oddball machine?

Thanks.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Jan 20 2017, 12:49 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Aug 27 2016, 04:44 PM) *
Hi All, Just a general question regarding the Tormach PCNC 770...........I am looking at a second hand one of these in the UK, but the seller reckons that it requires 3-phase power supply. I am a bit surprised by this because I thought (assumed) that they only required a single phase supply? Are they 3-phase or is this an oddball machine? Thanks. Dave

No doubt you already have an answer, but so far as I know the Tormach PCNC 1100 and 770 mills and the SBL15 lathe all take in single-phase 220 VAC. The VFD that runs the spindle generates 3-phase power for the spindle motor but does that from single-phase power feed to the machine. Here in the US, 220 single-phase VAC is delivered by two hot wires that are 120 VAC each as referenced from neutral along with a 3rd ground wire (the hots are 220 referenced against each other). I believe that the UK has a single 220 VAC wire and a neutral wire along with ground.

Perhaps the 3-phase nature of the VFD output is the source of confusion.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 21 2017, 09:24 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Mike Henry @ Jan 20 2017, 12:49 AM) *
No doubt you already have an answer, but so far as I know the Tormach PCNC 1100 and 770 mills and the SBL15 lathe all take in single-phase 220 VAC. The VFD that runs the spindle generates 3-phase power for the spindle motor but does that from single-phase power feed to the machine. Here in the US, 220 single-phase VAC is delivered by two hot wires that are 120 VAC each as referenced from neutral along with a 3rd ground wire (the hots are 220 referenced against each other). I believe that the UK has a single 220 VAC wire and a neutral wire along with ground.

Perhaps the 3-phase nature of the VFD output is the source of confusion.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. It turned out that the Tormach PCNC 770 that was advertised was actually single phase. I didn't get the mill, he wanted payment before the machine could be viewed........as if that was ever going to happen!
I would still be interested in purchasing a PCNC 1100 or 770 in the UK if anyone knows of one or perhaps even a small robot biggrin.gif

Thanks again for your help Mike.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Jan 23 2017, 12:06 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Jan 21 2017, 09:24 AM) *
Hi Mike, Thanks for your reply. It turned out that the Tormach PCNC 770 that was advertised was actually single phase. I didn't get the mill, he wanted payment before the machine could be viewed........as if that was ever going to happen! I would still be interested in purchasing a PCNC 1100 or 770 in the UK if anyone knows of one or perhaps even a small robot biggrin.gif Thanks again for your help Mike. Dave

Payment before viewing certainly sounds like a bad idea. You might post a Wanted to Buy message on the Tormach section of www.CNCZone.com - folks often buy Tormachs to start a business and then move up to a VMC when the business gets successful so there is a small, but regular, number of folks looking to sell. They usually seem to go for a pretty substantial fraction of new price so watch for that. Also, in case you didn't know, the PCNC 1100 model has been sold in 3 versions - Series 1, 2, and 3. Each model increment added better features like improved VFD or stepper motors/drivers and I think that Tormach still sells upgrade kits for 1 to 2 or 2 to 3, mostly at pretty reasonable prices.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2017 - 07:01 PM