> "Save Geometry as Form Tool" issue
bones288
post Feb 11 2013, 04:55 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,509

Hello Dave,

I hope your weekend went well. Mine was some what disappointing.
I'm working on prototyping my first parts to prove out the concept for a patent I've submitted (attachment is the official receipt I received as of today).

There are 8 parts that need machining and I decided to learn SprutCAM (models created in Inventor) on the hardest parts first.
Now that I've learned the program enough to get by I find that the trial is only 2 weeks long. sad.gif

In the one day I had left I was able to put together the toolpaths for the 2nd hardest part. A terrific learning curve, in my opinion.
But now I have no more time and no parts to see if there's interest. If there is (and I think there will be) then the simplified prototype, being made now, would need to be recreated into a commercial production model and there would be many more 'lines' created each one needing different machining.

I can't take a chance on a $3500 package, I would need Expert at the very least, until I know if these are going to work and ppl are interested.
Is there anyway to get 2 more weeks out of the trial sw? I'd still need to learn the post-processor part of things which I only just began yesterday.

If this is too much then I completely understand.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bones288
post Feb 11 2013, 06:13 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Feb 9 2013, 11:25 PM) *
I am now wondering whether you have used the excluded angle of the part rather than the included angle. If this is the case then your part might be a 60 degrees in which case the tool should be set to the same value. This can be quickly ascertained when you send your project.

Dave

My appologies. . .I see that I forgot to attach the prj of your request.
Let me know if it acts the same way for you as I can't run the tool paths now that my trial has ended. (I think this was the final prj file for that item.)

Thanks again for all of you help! I really do appreciate it.

(Resent as .zip)

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Feb 11 2013, 08:00 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Thank you for your project. With regard to the tool it is correctly set in this project.........although it does appear to be a different project to the one shown in your original post about the problem (see attached screengrab).

I don't know what the default trial period is now. It used to be 1 month, but I know that this did change to 2 weeks.............I am unaware of any changes to this.
If you contact your local SprutCAM reseller they should be able to extend your trial period for you. If you have any difficulties with this, send me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  11_02_2013_07_55_26.png ( 34.27K ) Number of downloads: 4

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
bones288
post Feb 12 2013, 08:11 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Dave,

I may have just had a revelation and need your opinion on something.

Can the rs_top.stc file that I sent you earlier be completed with the Machinist package?
From what just dawned on me 2.5D - 4th axis indexed milling is all that is truly required to make my proto parts? And I wouldn't require true 3d milling for that (at this time, anyway).

Is that a correct statement?

Thanks,
Brad

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Feb 12 2013, 08:45 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Brad,

The Roughing is going to be the main difference. The Machinist version does not include the Waterline or Plane roughing operations.............you will need to use 'Pocketing' or '2.5D pocketing' instead.
The Machinist version includes indexed rotary axis machining so I think that the machining might take a bit longer to prepare using the Machinist version, but it would be possible.
The main difference between the 3X or Expert versions and the Machinist version is that the Machinist version cannot calculate any cutter paths directly from the imported 3D models faces (surfaces).

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
bones288
post Feb 12 2013, 06:47 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Dave,

Correct me if I'm wrong, using the Machinist version of the sw I would have to recreate each model using the 2D Geometries vs. simply importing the existing models from elsewhere?

(Losing the two roughing operations, for prototyping purposes, would be okay as cutting time and efficiency are optional at this point. )

Thanks,
Brad K

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Feb 12 2013, 08:48 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Well it would be better to start a new thread for each topic, it makes it easier for other users to navigate the information.

You can still import a 3D (surface / solid) model, but you can only use the wireframe 'edges' of the imported model in the Machinist version. For the (2D) Pocketing operation you have to select the 2D curves / edges and define them as a 'Boss' or a 'Pocket' and set the top and bottom levels (Z).
In the Machinist version you cannot just import a surface / solid model and start machining it.

HTH

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
bones288
post Feb 13 2013, 09:54 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Dave,

Can the machinist version do threading and hole tapping? (I'm assuming so.)
The machinist trial version from Novedge doesn't appear to be working for me at all (no boot) so I can't inspect the individual milling features.
I'd like to be sure that I can tap the holes I drill with this version.

Thanks,
Brad K

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Feb 13 2013, 10:00 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Hi Brad,

Yes you can do thread milling and tapping with the Machinist version.

I'm not sure what SprutCAM activation method Novedge use for their customers, so you'll need to contact them direct for support with that.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2019 - 05:05 AM