> 4 axis machining
mayhugh1
post Oct 8 2008, 06:23 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 49

Hi,
So, can build 5.41 actually do 4 axis continuous machining at this point? That is, can it machine X, Y, Z, and A axes in coordinated continuous cutting? I've made a simple test part - a cylinder with a square groove cut around its perimeter inside a square box workpiece, and I'm trying to get Sprut to machine it with continuous X, Y, Z, and A motion. It seems that the only toolpaths I can get it to create are two simple toolpaths indexed 180 degrees apart. In fact to get the second path I have to create a second identical operation and tell sprut to set the A to the second angle. I envisioned that I would get a continuouse 'lathe looking' toolpath. I've studied the video available on Sprut's website for selecting the tool direction but I just can seem to get their results. I'm wondering if that capability is available yet in the current build? I'm using the 4 axis A machine and I've set the 4th axis to continuous and accepted the rest of the defaults. Does anyone have an actual project that I could study? - Thanks - Terry

--------------------
Terry
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Oct 14 2008, 07:26 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Terry, let me know if the one that I e-mailed you was helpful?

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
mayhugh1
post Oct 14 2008, 08:27 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Oct 14 2008, 07:26 PM) *
Hi Terry, let me know if the one that I e-mailed you was helpful?

Dave

Dave,
Thanks very much for your example. It was pretty informative. I've been studying it for most of the day but I still can't get my own simple example to work. I generated an x-axis cylindrical part with a slot cut around its perimeter and used a default box workpiece. I've tried waterline, plane, and drive (both roughing and finish) operations. With the 4 axis machines (including the Lidor machine used in your eaxmple), the only way I have been able to get the A-axis to rotate is to force it to index even though it is set to continuous. I've played with the order and priority parameters of all 4 axes but can't get the A-axis to continuously rotate during cutting. Maybe these operations aren't yet implemented in 4 axis machining? - Terry

--------------------
Terry

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Oct 14 2008, 09:35 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Terry, as far as I am aware, the live 4th axis operations that you are looking for are only enabled in the Pocketing and Engraving operations as well as the Orthogonal machining and Tool-end 5D machining operations.
These are just the first implementations and I'm sure we will see the others expanded to support 4th and 5th axis machining shortly.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
mayhugh1
post Oct 15 2008, 01:12 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Oct 14 2008, 09:35 PM) *
Terry, as far as I am aware, the live 4th axis operations that you are looking for are only enabled in the Pocketing and Engraving operations as well as the Orthogonal machining and Tool-end 5D machining operations.
These are just the first implementations and I'm sure we will see the others expanded to support 4th and 5th axis machining shortly.

Dave

Thanks,
That explains it.
Terry

--------------------
Terry

+Quote Post
Live
post Dec 9 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,767

Continuous 4 Axis toolpath (the Rotary machining operation) is available in the new SprutCAM 7 version.
It operates on 3d models and STL files and can generate toolpaths for spiral and zigzag rotary milling.

A video demonstration of the new feature is here:
http://video.filestube.com/video,16a6a21f43161aae03ea.html

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2018 - 09:17 PM