Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pocket Problem, Problem pocketing with different height walls
C*H*U*D
post Jan 17 2013, 01:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,296

Hello,

Luckily I haven't been having too many problems lately, but this one has me stumped. I am trying to machine the pocket on the outside of this ring, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The walls of the pocket are of different height, and this seems to be throwing me. The endmill will be a 1/16", so I'd rather not use two different profile operations. This would mean it would profile the complete depth of one side and then the other which I am afraid would break the endmill. The 6 holes are already in the part and they are being used to hold the part down with M3 screws. Waterline does not work since Sprut wants to machine those holes when using the 1/16" endmill. Any ideas on how this would be done?

--------------------
No idea what I'm doing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 17 2013, 02:48 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

You haven't said what size (width) the slot is? Is it the same size as the tool?
I'm not sure why you are saying that you cannot use waterline finishing to do this? If you have selected the slot (pocket) for machining then it should only machine this and ignore everything else.
If you can provide the project it makes things a lot easier to diagnose.

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
C*H*U*D
post Jan 17 2013, 03:10 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Jan 17 2013, 07:48 AM) *
You haven't said what size (width) the slot is? Is it the same size as the tool?
I'm not sure why you are saying that you cannot use waterline finishing to do this? If you have selected the slot (pocket) for machining then it should only machine this and ignore everything else.
If you can provide the project it makes things a lot easier to diagnose.

Sorry about that..The slot is .100" wide. The stock is .250" thick and just over 4" square. I wasn't aware that you could select just the pocket, and then run waterline. I was trying to hit waterline, thinking it would just take material away left from the previous operation. I machine everything else away first with a .500" endmill using waterline, and then clean the inside profile with a .250" endmill. Since I wasn't running a hole drill operation, Sprut was trying to machine the 6 holes as well...I can't do that though since there are bolts holding the material down.

I'll try waterline again with just the pocket being selected and see how that works. I'm at work right now, and don't have access to the project file, but if I can't figure it out, I will upload the project tonight.

As always, thanks for your help and quick reply!

Juan

--------------------
No idea what I'm doing

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 17 2013, 04:40 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Hi Juan,

Ok. You can try adding the two vertical wall faces of the cavity into the 'Job assignment' for the Waterline finish operation which should work, or, alternatively you could try adding the bottom face(s) of the slot as a 'Pocket' (Job assignment).

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
C*H*U*D
post Jan 18 2013, 12:08 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Jan 17 2013, 09:40 AM) *
Hi Juan,

Ok. You can try adding the two vertical wall faces of the cavity into the 'Job assignment' for the Waterline finish operation which should work

This works perfectly! I wasn't aware that Waterline worked this way. Thanks Dave!!

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Jan 17 2013, 09:40 AM) *
or, alternatively you could try adding the bottom face(s) of the slot as a 'Pocket' (Job assignment).

Dave

Just for the sake of experimentation, I tried this too and it does not work. I tried just adding it to the job assignment and also adding it as a pocket and no go. How does Sprut handle a pocket with an island, since this is basically what this is.

--------------------
No idea what I'm doing

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 18 2013, 06:13 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Great, I'm pleased that this has worked. The 'Job assignment' options are a very useful part of the SprutCAM operations, it's well worth spending some time experimenting with the available options to see what they can do.
The 'Pocket' option in Job assignment can sometimes make the selection of vertical pocket walls for machining very easy, but it does depend on the nature of the part as to whether it will work. It might not have worked because the outer walls are at different heights, but that is a guess.
You can machine any combination(s) of geometry. By default the 3D machining op's will machine the whole of the part and by using the Job assignment options you are able to select specific faces / area's of the part for machining.
You can select as many faces / Pockets / zones as you like for a job assignment.
If you intend using a job assignment to restrict the machining in a Waterline roughing operation, it's best to use a 'Job zone' rather than simply selecting faces, this is because a job zone curve behaves as a restriction zone for the machining.............Waterline roughing wants to machine the workpiece so selecting faces of the Part doesn't restrict this behaviour.

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2019 - 01:35 AM