Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Measuring to the center of a hole
C*H*U*D
post Mar 5 2013, 05:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,296

Hey Everyone,

I was trying to make some changes to a fixture I had, and ran into a problem with measuring to the center of a hole. I made this fixture about a year ago, and made a change to one of the parts...the center hole was enlarged, but other than that they are identical. I imported the new part, rotated it and set the top zero. It now sits at my XY zero in the top left corner. I was going to move it to the position on the right, but I don't know how to measure to the center hole so that I know exactly how far to move the new part. I can only measure to a curve or curved face on the center hole which does not give me the exact center. As usual, I know I'm missing something simple but can't figure it out. Any ideas?

--------------------
No idea what I'm doing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Mar 6 2013, 08:35 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Well, the obvious answer is probably not the one that you are looking for.......relocate it in your CAD system wink.gif

Having said that, it is also quite easy to do in SprutCAM too using the 'Geometry measuring' tool.
As you are no doubt already aware, it is easy in SprutCAM to get some basic geometrical information about a specific face by simply double left clicking it..........but this doesn't include all of the available information.
What you can do is to select the 'Geometry measuring' option, then click on a cylindrical face that is part of the centre that you are hoping to measure, and on the screen SprutCAM will display the same information that you would normally get just by double clicking it, but it should also include information about the X/Y/Z centre of the face.
The three values are shown in that order (X, Y, Z).

Please see the attached image.

Another quick and easy method for finding the centre of a cylindrical face is to select at least one of the 'cylinder' faces, click 'Create coordinate system' then click coordinate system properties and this will display the X/Y/Z position if this hole......see other attached image.

I hope this helps?

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  06_03_2013_08_12_14.png ( 62.26K ) Number of downloads: 21
Attached File  06_03_2013_08_32_43.png ( 60.85K ) Number of downloads: 24

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
C*H*U*D
post Mar 7 2013, 04:30 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,296

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Mar 6 2013, 01:35 AM) *
Well, the obvious answer is probably not the one that you are looking for.......relocate it in your CAD system wink.gif

I actually had thought of that, but figured this is something I should know in case relocating in the future is not an option.

What you can do is to select the 'Geometry measuring' option, then click on a cylindrical face that is part of the centre that you are hoping to measure, and on the screen SprutCAM will display the same information that you would normally get just by double clicking it, but it should also include information about the X/Y/Z centre of the face.
The three values are shown in that order (X, Y, Z).

This I have tried and why I decided to post this question. You will get different X/Y/Z results depending on where you click. If you move your mouse around the face or even edge and click, you will get different X/Y/Z values.

Another quick and easy method for finding the centre of a cylindrical face is to select at least one of the 'cylinder' faces, click 'Create coordinate system' then click coordinate system properties and this will display the X/Y/Z position if this hole......

This does work, but when I click "Create Coordinate System" it moves my original CS. I can't undo it, so I display the properties and write them down. Then I reload the project (without saving it first) to get back to where I was, and then move the new part into position...works great, but I would think there would be a more simple way.

None the less, your advice worked...Thanks Dave!!

Juan

--------------------
No idea what I'm doing

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Mar 7 2013, 07:54 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Juan,

Well, it does sound like your SprutCAM system is completely misbehaving.
With regard to the ever changing coordinates, can you please look at the attached image and let me know which of these sets of values that you are referring too as always changing: 1 or 2?
Do you get the same problem whether you are using imperial or metric units? Are you perhaps measuring an ellipse? Do you get the problem with every model?

I have never before heard of a coordinate system getting 'replaced' by a new coordinate system. As you can see in the other attached image, when I create a new coordinate system (Local CS1), the original is still there (Global CS). In fact the 'Global CS' coordinate system can never be replaced, although it is possible to rename it. All other user coordinate systems can be manually deleted which is what I usually do when I have finished with a CS that was created for measuring.

I would suggest that you talk to your SprutCAM supplier and get them to check these issues with the Sprut software engineers.

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  07_03_2013_07_42_52.png ( 30.09K ) Number of downloads: 13
Attached File  07_03_2013_07_48_36.png ( 46.05K ) Number of downloads: 14

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2019 - 03:02 AM