Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stroke font text creation and machining
Sprut_UK
post Dec 16 2005, 04:07 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi all, I recently created a video tutorial for our e-mail newsletter readers, and thought that some of our forum users may find it useful.

The video shows how to create and machine some 'Stroke' font or simple text. This is typically used for adding part or serial numbers to a component.

You can view the video here

You can view/download the *.pdf version here

I hope you find them useful.

Dave
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MMcCawley
post Dec 16 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 34

Dave,
Do you mind briefly explaining the difference between the windows based font and the stroked font? When I had to engrave a plaque I ended up using the windows based font because I was able to preview what the text was going to look like. Also, that video brought up another question, if you use "2D contour" to make engraved plaques, then when would you use the engrave function? By the way, nice job on the video. The video tutorials that you and Krisztian make are EXTREMELY helpful. Thanks for that extra work!

Thanks,
Matt

Edited by - MMcCawley on 17/12/2005 02:51:13

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Dec 17 2005, 09:07 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Matt,
If you look at the first part of the *.pdf tutorial above you will see the difference between Stroke and True Type fonts.
Basically, a Stroke (simple) font is a centreline font and it's main use is for adding a part or serial number to a component.
If you want something more artistic then you can use True Type fonts which generate the outline of the text so can be used for creating 'embossed' letters, ideal for house name plates or similar....

I am already planning to create a True Type font tutorial for our next newsletter (January), this will also include use of the Engraving operation. I will post it on here after release of the newsletter.

The Engrave operation differs from the 2D Contouring operation in that it always goes 'around' a shape, and it can also apply a 'side angle' to the toolpath plus you can 'Allow 3D toolpath'.

If I want to machine a 2D pocket that has tapered walls I use a 'Pocketing' operation using 'Side angle' followed by an 'Engaving' operation using the same 'Side angle'.

If I want to do 'Carve Engraving' of text using a 'D' bit cutter I would create True Type font text, and in the Engrave operation select 'Allow 3D toolpath' which allows a tapered cutter to rise on internal corners.
You can also use the Engraving operation on any open or closed 2D 'curve' geometry.

HTH.

Dave

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2019 - 07:14 PM