anafranil online
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Issues with Milling an Exact Width Circular Slot, I am looking for program help on a certain machine feature
CASEM0
post Apr 9 2015, 01:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,782

Good Morning All,

I am having an issue milling a 0.0625" round slot with a 0.0625" EM; for some reason SprutCAM is performing an operation of peck-milling, when I would really like it to do a round path and step down.

In the machine operation tree, I am having issues with Finishing Waterlnie (Operation 4 from the top, above TL, BL, BR, TR). Just as a note, I have tried every machining method and none of them seem to work for me! The only one I got to pseudo work was finishing waterline.

I must be missing a crucial step because I have gotten it to work on a smaller part before.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I cant upload the file for some reason? Who can I contact about it not allowing me to upload my sprutcam file?

Edit 2: Still cant upload the program, but I uploaded a screencapture.

Edit 3: I am providiing a Dropbox link since I can't upload through the forum.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2hg4okito57455/19mm%20-%20Mold%20Top.rar?dl=0
Attached File(s)
Attached File  close_up.jpg ( 98.89K ) Number of downloads: 6

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Apr 9 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi CASEM0, welcome to the SprutCAM user forum.

Your problem is a common one. The temptation with using a 3D CAM system is to try and use 3D machining for everything, but this does sometimes have it's limitations.
The Waterline finish operation will always check the cutter against the model itself, and because the tool is the same size as the slot, it is gouge checking the toolpath on the inner and outer edge of the tool when it is machining the slot. It will also want to try and finish machine the inner and outer faces of the slots.
You can see this if you reduce the cutter size within that operation (Finishing waterline) to (for example) 0.062", you will see that it will now calculate the toolpath.

If it was me doing this, I would choose 2D Contouring every time for this type of machining. I have added this to your project as an example.
This method has the added benefit that you could also helically machine the slots if you prefer to do it this way.
Please check this operation carefully if you decide to use it.

The forum has a 2mb attachment limit, so this is probably why you cannot upload it.
I have made the modified project available for you to download here: http://www.download.sprut.co.uk/Forum_Imag...ld%20Top_dp.zip

I hope this helps.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
CASEM0
post Apr 9 2015, 08:49 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,782

I think I may have figured it out while I was awaiting my savior!

I went into the Roughing Waterline options and changed the 'Deviation' of the cut from 0.00075 to 0.000001, and that worked! Intuitively, I feel like increasing the deviation to a larger number (0.001) would solve this, allowing the tool to machine with a tolerance, but it was the opposite.

I will take a look at your program and try and learn a thing or two from you!

Thanks for the response!

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Apr 11 2015, 06:01 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Thanks for the update. Well spotted, I don't use imperial units myself so I hadn't even considered those values; in metric they are generally larger numbers (e.g. 0.01) than with imperial units.

If you check out the SprutCAM Help files under the Tolerance section, you will see a good description of the 'Deviation' function.
Using a smaller deviation makes the cutterpath calculation more accurate which means the tool can now fit between the two vertical faces without touching both at the same time.

I would still suggest using the 2D Contouring operation, unless of course you do want an extra 'spring cut' at each Z level which is what the Finish waterline will do.
Myself, I would usually consider using the Finish waterline operation for slot machining only if the diameter of the cutter being used was smaller than the width of the slot.

As an aside, it is also possible to do a 'spring cut' when using 2D Contouring by setting the 'Finish level - Cleanup stock' to zero. I discovered this little nugget a short while ago when programming a customers part...... cool.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  2015_04_11_18_51_03.png ( 22.76K ) Number of downloads: 6

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2019 - 05:33 AM