Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gouging question
bll230
post Oct 29 2016, 08:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,558

Dave, I have spent hours on this and I can't figure it out. Sprutcam policy is not to gouge the part. In pocketing out the recess up to the fillet the verify compare
shows a gouge up to .0005 all along the edge.

Why is it gouging?

Thanks

John
Attached File(s)
Attached File  HGwheel1.zip ( 112.29K ) Number of downloads: 4

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rahmtech
post Nov 1 2016, 07:48 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,908

QUOTE (bll230 @ Oct 29 2016, 10:15 PM) *
Dave, I have spent hours on this and I can't figure it out. Sprutcam policy is not to gouge the part. In pocketing out the recess up to the fillet the verify compare
shows a gouge up to .0005 all along the edge.

Why is it gouging?

Thanks

John

Hi John
I?m sure that you have a model problems. I got the same results as you so I exported the model and tried to work with it in my CAD software. Nothing worked! I then made a similair part and tried. No problem at all. Try to export the model as .stp.

/micke

+Quote Post
Rahmtech
post Nov 1 2016, 07:53 PM
Post #3

Here comes my test. If you have a drawing of the part I can help you with a working model.

/micke
Attached File(s)
Attached File  HGwheel_test.zip ( 106.4K ) Number of downloads: 1

+Quote Post
bll230
post Nov 1 2016, 08:55 PM
Post #4

I tried yours and you are right. no gouging. I did notice an unusual result when I tried using pocket with the bottom face, in that it created a pocket zone that
extended outside the part on the left side.

I save my parts as STP files to load into Sprutcam. What file type do you use?

John

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Nov 2 2016, 08:54 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi John, I agree with the analysis of the problem given by Rahmtech. SprutCAM seems to have a problem with the fillet radii contained in the model. However, there also appears to be an easy fix available for it. In your SprutCAM project under the 'Miscellaneous' section, please select 'Use fast calculation method' and recalculate the toolpath, this appears to solve it for my SprutCAM installation, does it work for yours too?

It is my understanding that when you select the 'Use fast calculation method' option; internally, SprutCAM uses a meshed version of the part model, which can sometimes correct surface errors.

An alternative (but similar) method to this would be to select all of the fillet surfaces, and in Model mode select 'Triangulate' with a tolerance of around 0.004 and also select 'Delete sources'. This will replace the problem surfaces with meshed faces instead which should now machine correctly.

In the attached modified version of your project, I have also disabled the 'Corners smoothing' option which seems to give a better result.....

Dave

Attached File(s)
Attached File  HGwheel1_dp.zip ( 99.22K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Rahmtech
post Nov 2 2016, 12:28 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (bll230 @ Nov 1 2016, 10:55 PM) *
I tried yours and you are right. no gouging. I did notice an unusual result when I tried using pocket with the bottom face, in that it created a pocket zone that

John

I normally use .stp. It seems to work best for me. I?ll try Daves way of handle it to see if it works for me.

+Quote Post
Rahmtech
post Nov 2 2016, 12:28 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (bll230 @ Nov 1 2016, 10:55 PM) *

John

I normally use .stp. It seems to work best for me. I?ll try Daves way of handle it to see if it works for me.

+Quote Post
bll230
post Nov 2 2016, 06:50 PM
Post #8

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Micke, I made a mistake, I normally use IGS. Don't know why I said STP. Brain fade.

Dave, I tried the fast calculate and it worked. Interesting that the fast calculate, which the manual says is less accurate, made the toolpath more accurate.

The oddity of this is that the error only showed up using the "pocket" job assignment. When I used the outline of the recess as the job zone the toolpath calculated correctly and then using pocket with a ball end mill
cut the fillet properly.

I did ask Jacob to send this to Russia to check for a bug.

Thanks

John

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2017 - 05:06 AM