Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> cutting a contour
Dave M
post Sep 22 2015, 12:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,881

I am a newby here , i received my Sprutcam 9 back in 2014 but have not done much with it until now as i pull work in to power my Tormach pcnc 1100 . my question is . I am trying to cut a contour which i guess could be called 3d it amounts to a contour shaped like a smiley face i want to cut this contour down into a block 019 dia cutter so i just need to create a single tool path becasue i am looking for a .020 wide slot , but i cannot get the cutter comp to move to the inside of the contour line . i have tried moving the cutter to the inside using the offset but it only cuts on the contour line . I am using Sprutcam 9 and cad is from Rhino . Any help is appreciated i am sorry for the if this seems confusion i will post the geometry if needed . Thank you
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Sep 22 2015, 08:21 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Dave M @ Sep 22 2015, 12:37 PM) *
I am a newby here , i received my Sprutcam 9 back in 2014 but have not done much with it until now as i pull work in to power my Tormach pcnc 1100 . my question is . I am trying to cut a contour which i guess could be called 3d it amounts to a contour shaped like a smiley face i want to cut this contour down into a block 019 dia cutter so i just need to create a single tool path becasue i am looking for a .020 wide slot , but i cannot get the cutter comp to move to the inside of the contour line . i have tried moving the cutter to the inside using the offset but it only cuts on the contour line . I am using Sprutcam 9 and cad is from Rhino . Any help is appreciated i am sorry for the if this seems confusion i will post the geometry if needed . Thank you

In cases like this it can be useful to upload your STC file.

Mike

+Quote Post
Dave M
post Sep 23 2015, 12:27 AM
Post #3

Thank you Mike ,

I will take your advise here is the file if you notice the center of the cutter is on the line rather than being on the inside of the line .

Attached File  syzma_head_final.stc ( 148.09K ) Number of downloads: 4

Attached File(s)
Attached File  syzma_head_final.stc ( 148.09K ) Number of downloads: 2

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Sep 23 2015, 08:16 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Dave, welcome to the SprutCAM user forum.

When you select a curve like this, you must tell SprutCAM whether you want the centre of the tool to follow the curve, or, do you want it to be 'offset' from the curve.
In your project you have not told SprutCAM to offset the toolpath. I have created a short video (attached) to show you how to select the 'Offset' path. You can then tell SprutCAM which side of the curve that the tool must be offset (left / right) by clicking the arrow at the beginning of the curve.

I hope this helps?

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  2015_09_23_09_04_48.zip ( 341.87K ) Number of downloads: 6

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Dave M
post Sep 23 2015, 02:48 PM
Post #5

Thank you Dave !! I tried this and all it seems to do is to offset it to the back of the line , it seems the cutter is still cutting over the line . is this a simulation setting perhaps or more than likely i am missing something ? Thank you again for your help

+Quote Post
Dave M
post Sep 23 2015, 02:53 PM
Post #6

I want to make sure i am not confusing things here , basically i will be cutting a single tool path along the radius line , the width will come with the dia of the cutter , in this case i am using a .019 dia ball endmill to give me a .020 wide cut with a radius at the bottom so the only offset i need to worry about is that so the outside of the cutter does not cut to the outside if the radius line at the top of the radius , i have the parameter set for the tip of the cutter but the outside dia is what is causing me an issue . I hope this helps again i am sure i am missing something .

Dave

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Sep 23 2015, 05:03 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Dave, Some mixed metaphors here I think. For me 'cutter comp' usually refers to cutter offset (e.g. G41 / G42), but I assume now that you are expecting SprutCAM to compensate for the end shape of the tool around your curve?
If this is correct then SprutCAM does not support this for 'curve' objects. Compensation for the tool end shape is done automatically by most of the SprutCAM surfacing operations.
A far better way of doing this is to create it as a surface model instead of as simply a curve. In Rhino I would use 'Extrude surface' to do this.
Please see the attached (metric units) project I created to show a couple of ways of doing this using a surface model.
The 2D Contouring method is available to anyone who is using a milling version of SprutCAM. The 5D Contouring method is available in all 5D milling levels of SprutCAM (5X Mill - Robot - Master - Pro).

I hope this helps?

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Radius.stc ( 257.14K ) Number of downloads: 2

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Dave M
post Sep 23 2015, 08:08 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Sep 23 2015, 01:03 PM) *
Dave, Some mixed metaphors here I think. For me 'cutter comp' usually refers to cutter offset (e.g. G41 / G42), but I assume now that you are expecting SprutCAM to compensate for the end shape of the tool around your curve?
If this is correct then SprutCAM does not support this for 'curve' objects. Compensation for the tool end shape is done automatically by most of the SprutCAM surfacing operations.
A far better way of doing this is to create it as a surface model instead of as simply a curve. In Rhino I would use 'Extrude surface' to do this.
Please see the attached (metric units) project I created to show a couple of ways of doing this using a surface model.
The 2D Contouring method is available to anyone who is using a milling version of SprutCAM. The 5D Contouring method is available in all 5D milling levels of SprutCAM (5X Mill - Robot - Master - Pro).

I hope this helps?

Dave

I will give that a try . Thank you for your help

+Quote Post
Dave M
post Oct 12 2015, 01:45 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Sep 23 2015, 01:03 PM) *

I hope this helps?

Dave

Hi Mike ,

Enclosed is the file for the contour i am trying to cut , i have tried numerous times to get the .019 dia ball end mill to cut this taking .002 cuts to the bottom . I am taking small cuts to save my endmill but i must be able to cut to the inside of the contour . any help would be great .
Attached File(s)
Attached File  arc.stc ( 392.77K ) Number of downloads: 3

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Oct 12 2015, 07:04 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Hi Dave,

I'll leave Mike to answer your question, but it would help if you could give some further information about what it is that you are trying to machine? Do the edges of the radiused slot go straight up (vertical), or, are they extruded out horizontally?
In other words, is the depth that you are trying to cut the full depth from the top of the part, or, is it just the depth of the radial slot itself?

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Dave M
post Oct 12 2015, 11:33 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Oct 12 2015, 03:04 AM) *
Hi Dave,

I'll leave Mike to answer your question, but it would help if you could give some further information about what it is that you are trying to machine? Do the edges of the radiused slot go straight up (vertical), or, are they extruded out horizontally?
In other words, is the depth that you are trying to cut the full depth from the top of the part, or, is it just the depth of the radial slot itself?

Dave

I am sorry , basically i need to cut the radius full depth from the top flat plane , i need sharp edges no roll over on the top or the sides , the sides will be full depth unlike what the is shown in the file there should be no rollover on the sides . I have tried several tool paths and i am obviously doing something wrong . the cutter i am planning to use is .019 dia ball end mill which will give me the width i require so basically i just need the tool path to follow the curve in the x axis down to the depth of the slot . I am new to Sprutcam , i have had some experience with Mastercam but not enough to say i am even a novice so i am trying to learn Sprutcam because this si what came with my Tormach machine , i think it is a powerful software but i am just new to the program so whatever help i can get on it would be great .

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Oct 12 2015, 02:21 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Dave M @ Oct 12 2015, 12:33 PM) *
I am sorry , basically i need to cut the radius full depth from the top flat plane , i need sharp edges no roll over on the top or the sides , the sides will be full depth unlike what the is shown in the file there should be no rollover on the sides . I have tried several tool paths and i am obviously doing something wrong . the cutter i am planning to use is .019 dia ball end mill which will give me the width i require so basically i just need the tool path to follow the curve in the x axis down to the depth of the slot . I am new to Sprutcam , i have had some experience with Mastercam but not enough to say i am even a novice so i am trying to learn Sprutcam because this si what came with my Tormach machine , i think it is a powerful software but i am just new to the program so whatever help i can get on it would be great .

No problem, just needed to know exactly what you require so that any replies you get are relevent.
I have done a quick example (attached) of how I would approach it. It is similar to my previous example project that I created for you, did you see it?
Using the 5D Contouring operation on its own would have meant some heavy initial cuts, so I have added an initial 2D Contouring operation to rough this initial plunge area.
I have 'Parametised' the length of the 2D geometry curve used by the 2D Contouring operation to allow easier fine-tuning of this roughing by watching the simulation result and adjusting the length and depth of machining accordingly. This is not really necessary, I have done it to show this (sometimes) useful feature.

The surface used in your provided project appears to be slightly distorted (see attached screenshot) so I have redrawn this for the modified project. The original is still there for comparison or if it is actually correct so that you can reselect it.

I hope this helps?

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  ARC_dp.zip ( 231.15K ) Number of downloads: 9
Attached File  2015_10_12_15_19_12.png ( 84.98K ) Number of downloads: 14

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2019 - 01:17 PM