Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lathe Tool Libraries
Mike Henry
post May 23 2014, 02:10 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

Does Sprut (or anyone else) have SprutCAM tool libraries for some of the standard insert lathe tooling? Even a basic set would be a help in getting started.

If there's nothing available, I'll probably start making my own set. Would anybody be interested in a copy?

Mike
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
danh818
post May 23 2014, 04:33 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,448

Mike, I have a few tools setup. And will try to share them over the weekend if I get a chance. I would be interested in collaborating with you on a full library also.

QUOTE (Mike Henry @ May 22 2014, 07:10 PM) *
Does Sprut (or anyone else) have SprutCAM tool libraries for some of the standard insert lathe tooling? Even a basic set would be a help in getting started.

If there's nothing available, I'll probably start making my own set. Would anybody be interested in a copy?

Mike

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post May 23 2014, 06:24 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (danh818 @ May 23 2014, 04:33 PM) *
Mike, I have a few tools setup. And will try to share them over the weekend if I get a chance. I would be interested in collaborating with you on a full library also.

Thanks Dan (hope that's your name). I'm planning to buy the new Tormach Slant Bed lathe and will probably start with the 3/4" indexable tool holders they are selling for that. Is there any chance that you are doing the same? Tormach's tool holders apparently meet the specs for designations like these:

MVVNN 12-3C
MVJNL 12-3C
SGTHL 19-4
SGTHR 19-4
MTFNL 12-3C
MCLNL 12-4C
MTFNR 12-3C
MWLNR 12-4C
MCLNR 12-4C
MVJNR 12-3C
S12S-DCLNL-3
CER0750K16,
TBN19-5
312S-DCLNR-3
CNR0750P16
MWLNR 12-4C

and a few others.

Mike

+Quote Post
danh818
post May 26 2014, 02:08 AM
Post #4

Wow Mike that's a long list of tools you are planning on.
Unfortunately I am not running a Tormac lathe. I run a Haas SL-20. Even though tomorrow is a holiday, I'll be in the office so I will try to post my library (it's quite small). That machine runs 1" tooling, and I find that most of my work is done with a vnmg and cngp, as well as my cutoff tool. I don't have my knurl or bar puller programmed. I do those manually.

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post May 26 2014, 02:26 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (danh818 @ May 26 2014, 02:08 AM) *
Wow Mike that's a long list of tools you are planning on.
Unfortunately I am not running a Tormac lathe. I run a Haas SL-20. Even though tomorrow is a holiday, I'll be in the office so I will try to post my library (it's quite small). That machine runs 1" tooling, and I find that most of my work is done with a vnmg and cngp, as well as my cutoff tool. I don't have my knurl or bar puller programmed. I do those manually.

That's just a list of the toolholders they sell and I won't necessarily use all or even most of them. For my manual lathe I get by with just two or three turning/facing tools and several boring, internal grooving, and parting tools.

I've been playing with turning tool libraries in SprutCAM and it looks like most of those listed toolholders might be recognized by SC 8, but as usual SC 8 is doing it's best to frustrate me. Making progress, though.

Mike

+Quote Post
danh818
post May 27 2014, 03:44 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Mike Henry @ May 26 2014, 07:26 AM) *
That's just a list of the toolholders they sell and I won't necessarily use all or even most of them. For my manual lathe I get by with just two or three turning/facing tools and several boring, internal grooving, and parting tools.

I've been playing with turning tool libraries in SprutCAM and it looks like most of those listed toolholders might be recognized by SC 8, but as usual SC 8 is doing it's best to frustrate me. Making progress, though.

Mike

Mike, after looking at my lathe tool library today, I realized the it really would be of no use to you on the Tormach machine. SC8 has most of the standard insert types already built in, you will probably just have to change the tip radii and futz with the tool holder a bit in addition to selecting the correct tooltip, eg. the theoretical point at which the X and Z cutting edges of the insert converge. If you haven't experienced the metric/inch tool size bug yet, take a look on youtube for SpruCam Americas video of how to solve this. Its a silly little things that drives me a little crazy sometimes. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post May 29 2014, 09:50 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (danh818 @ May 27 2014, 03:44 AM) *
Mike, after looking at my lathe tool library today, I realized the it really would be of no use to you on the Tormach machine.

No problem. As you say, it looks like SC 8 recognizes most of those, at least in basic form.

If you haven't experienced the metric/inch tool size bug yet, take a look on youtube for SpruCam Americas video of how to solve this. Its a silly little things that drives me a little crazy sometimes. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

Is that the recent ZX lathe tutorial where Eric talks about the tool holder going all Hulk on the user? If not, can you give me a clue to the topic of the video?

Mike

+Quote Post
danh818
post May 29 2014, 11:31 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Mike Henry @ May 29 2014, 02:50 PM) *
No problem. As you say, it looks like SC 8 recognizes most of those, at least in basic form.

Is that the recent ZX lathe tutorial where Eric talks about the tool holder going all Hulk on the user? If not, can you give me a clue to the topic of the video?

Mike

Yes. That is it exactly. It can be a bit annoying, but I've learned to live with it. Congrats on the Tormach lath by the way. It looks like a very good little machine.

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post May 30 2014, 02:08 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (danh818 @ May 29 2014, 11:31 PM) *
Yes. That is it exactly. It can be a bit annoying, but I've learned to live with it. Congrats on the Tormach lath by the way. It looks like a very good little machine.

I haven't bought one yet - trying to make room for it and decide if I want to wait for the turret version.

Mike

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2019 - 03:05 PM