Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie question about Programmed Point
mayhugh1
post Oct 4 2006, 08:25 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 49

What is the meaning of Programmed Point in the machining parameters?
Is this referring to choosing whether the programmed toolpath will be programmed for the denter of the cutter or its outer diameter? I get the same G-code regardless of its setting when programming the toolpath for a 3D model. Also it doesn't look like radius comp is available for cutting a 3D model. So does the toolpath calculator just pick up the diameter info about the tool diameter that I enter and automatically offset it before generating the G-code?

Also, what the heck is Rest machining. Is this referring to 'the rest of what stock is left after the finish machining?' Is this a universal term for CAM software?
Sorry if the questions seem dumb. I'm struggling to learn this tool. Been using a mill for more than 10 years but am just getting into CNC.

Terry
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
krisz
post Oct 4 2006, 10:56 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3

The programmed point is whether you want your center of the tool to be programmed or the end of the tool when you are using a ballnose end mill. If you take a closer look at the tool geometry it shows you the small point as you change the programmed point.
When you postprocess your program it does make a different. Make sure you pay attention to your G-code especially the "Z" values. I can send you a postprocessed program and show you the different in between the two.

The cutter compensation is not available in 3D machining because it is not used there. Cutter compensation is used for 2D contouring or pocketing operations. 3D machining is surfacing for molds and things like that nature and you dont use cutter compensation for that.

Rest machining is to remove left over material after surfacing operation. Usually when you are using a bigger diameter tool to remove material from a mold and then you have to use a smaller diameter tool to clean the corners. Imagine you have a 30" by 20" mold that has a few corners with .25" corners. You don

+Quote Post
mayhugh1
post Oct 4 2006, 05:07 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 49

Thanks. That does clear it up nicely. I see what you mean about the ball mill. What confused me was that I was looking at a cylindrical cutter and the same options were still available even though the point graphic didn't move from the end.

Maybe another?
When I import a 3D model with shading ON the model is totally black. It takes on the color of the wireframe. Is there a way of changing the system setup to a different color? In the OPTIONS page the full model color is indicated BLACK but it won't allow a change. I have been able to select the model on the graphic window and change it to something else for each session but is it possible to change the default?

Terry

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Oct 4 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hello Terry, as far as I am aware it is not possible to change the default colour of the model that is imported.
As you rightly say the shade takes on the colour of the wireframe, which you can change during a session (if required).
The only other way of changing the colour is by modifying the colours used in the design (CAD) software before export, SprutCAM will recognise and use these colours on import.

HTH.

Dave

+Quote Post
PatL
post Jan 29 2007, 04:33 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 47

I am having the same trouble with the drilling. Changing the programmed point from end to center is not changing the code. I am in "inches" mode (not mm) if that matters. I am also using version 4.0 build 1.28.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 29 2007, 09:56 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi PatL, the way that the 'Center / End' option for a drill tool has been implemented in SprutCAM is not the way that I would have done it.
When you use the 'Center' option it simply moves everything up by the calculated 'Height(H)' amount which is not really a lot of use.
It would be theoretically possible to overcome this by modifying the postprocessor to get this to work in a more logical fashion, but I tend to do the following which I think makes more sense anyway.......

When creating holes and drilling to the point of the drill:
1/ Create the Hole Machining operation and create the holes (create or pattern), leave the 'Zmax / Zmin as 'Auto'.
2/ Set the 'Bottom level' value to be the depth to the point of the drill.

When creating holes and drilling to the shoulder (diameter) of the drill:
1/ Create the Hole Machining operation and create the holes (create or pattern), leave the 'Zmax / Zmin as 'Auto'.
2/ When setting the 'Bottom level' value, enter the required depth as a calculation using the value already displayed. For example: if the thickness of material being drilled is 15mm and the Zmin dialogue displays -4.3301, simply select the check box and enter -15 together with the existing value (create a sum) and you will end up with a drilled depth to the shoulder.
This makes use of the fact that a lot of the input dialogues in SprutCAM are calculator fields and you can enter equations.....
When typing in an equation you can check the result by moving your cursor over the calculation and the tool tip text will show the result......
Here is a Quicktime movie showing this function: Calculator

HTH

Dave

+Quote Post
PatL
post Jan 30 2007, 03:39 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 47

Thanks Dave,

Your work around worked great....thanks. I wonder why the Sprutcam program is written in a relatively useless fashion.

Pat

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2019 - 02:08 PM