Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sprutcam to Tormach tutorial?
johntm
post Nov 25 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,736

Is there any tutorials out there from taking the finished project from SprutCAM to the Tormach?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Nov 25 2008, 08:19 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (johntm @ Nov 25 2008, 06:34 PM) *
Is there any tutorials out there from taking the finished project from SprutCAM to the Tormach?

I don't have a Tormach machine, so I cannot give you any help.......but I'm sure that some of the other SprutCAM / Tormach users on here will be able to give you some pointers......

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
johntm
post Nov 26 2008, 02:48 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Nov 25 2008, 02:19 PM) *
I don't have a Tormach machine, so I cannot give you any help.......but I'm sure that some of the other SprutCAM / Tormach users on here will be able to give you some pointers......

Dave

I'm trying it the hard way - Pray for my end mills!

One question that I haven't figured out yet deals with the actual tools. If I set the tool lengths in SprutCAM, do I need to use the library tools in Mach3? Frankly, I'm not even sure I'm asking the right question here. But your tutorials have been a huge help. The subscription is WELL worth the price.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Nov 26 2008, 07:11 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

That's all part of the fun smile.gif
Thanks for the vote of confidence with the tutorials, I'm glad that you are finding them useful.

With regard to your tool lengths question, SprutCAM does not (generally) pass any information about the tool lengths in the resulting G-code. The tool(s) will need to be measured on the machine itself, and each will have it's own length (offset) which will be stored in a tool library.

The Tool Length value in SprutCAM is used mainly for graphics purposes, but you can also define a toolholder which will allow you to check whether the holder will collide with the part / fixture. In this case, you can keep adjusting the tool length in SprutCAM until the collision is avoided, then you would use the length value as the minimum tool length of the actual tool on the machine.........I can feel another video tutorial coming on...... biggrin.gif

I've added two new tutorials which you might find useful.........

This post has been edited by Sprut_UK: Nov 26 2008, 02:59 PM

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
johntm
post Nov 26 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Nov 26 2008, 01:11 AM) *
I've added two new tutorials which you might find useful.........

WOW! Thanks! You've answered both of my pressing questions (so far) in one Toolholder video!

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Nov 26 2008, 08:12 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (johntm @ Nov 25 2008, 06:34 PM) *

There are several of us here that have Tormach mills. How are you getting the finished part design into SprutCAM?

Once I have the machining operations finished in SC2007 I use the Mach3 postprocessor to create a G-code file, which I then transfer over to the Tormach Mach3 PC with a thumb drive. Does that help at all?

Mike

+Quote Post
johntm
post Nov 26 2008, 11:30 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Mike Henry @ Nov 26 2008, 02:12 PM) *
There are several of us here that have Tormach mills. How are you getting the finished part design into SprutCAM?

Once I have the machining operations finished in SC2007 I use the Mach3 postprocessor to create a G-code file, which I then transfer over to the Tormach Mach3 PC with a thumb drive. Does that help at all?

Mike
I've got Sprut and Mach3 on the same machine, so that eliminates the flash drive step, but that's about it. I was more wondering what that comes from SprutCAM that the Mach3 system uses like tool size, length, and what I need to do about offsets on both systems.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
R.DesJardin
post Nov 27 2008, 03:43 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,735

QUOTE (johntm @ Nov 26 2008, 03:30 PM) *
I've got Sprut and Mach3 on the same machine, so that eliminates the flash drive step, but that's about it. I was more wondering what that comes from SprutCAM that the Mach3 system uses like tool size, length, and what I need to do about offsets on both systems.

Thanks!

I too am having issues with the SprutCam tutorials not having the right info also. I looked at the above link for tutorials from Sprut_UK but didn't find any 3D turorials, none for the new version. I am using Solidworks and downloading directly to Sprut via the link in Solidworks. I have some real simple pars to make as well as some more complex that or on my to do list. Just need a kick start from some where, Also what about a hard copy instruction manual?
Thanks,
Rory D.

+Quote Post
johntm
post Nov 27 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (R.DesJardin @ Nov 27 2008, 09:43 AM) *
I too am having issues with the SprutCam tutorials not having the right info also. I looked at the above link for tutorials from Sprut_UK but didn't find any 3D turorials, none for the new version. I am using Solidworks and downloading directly to Sprut via the link in Solidworks. I have some real simple pars to make as well as some more complex that or on my to do list. Just need a kick start from some where, Also what about a hard copy instruction manual?
Thanks,
Rory D.

Go here:

http://www.download.sprut.co.uk/Support/index.php?

sign up and pay for support. Even if you just spend $10 for a month of access, it's well worth it. Dave is adding videos constantly and even does some to answer specific questions asked here.

I signed up for a year so I can get the new videos for a long time. I'll probably renew after that first year also because the support is well worth having.

You can download the manual here: http://www.tormach.com/Product_CAM_SprutCAM.html

It is kinda hard to read, but it works well for you once you understand the basics. Sign up at the Sprutcam forum above, pay for access, and watch ALL the videos. It is time and money well spent.

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Nov 28 2008, 08:40 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Go here:

http://www.download.sprut.co.uk/Support/index.php?

sign up and pay for support. Even if you just spend $10 for a month of access, it's well worth it. Dave is adding videos constantly and even does some to answer specific questions asked here.

I'll second that - the tutorials are a great way to understand some of the basics and even better for the addvanced techniques and numerous small tips I've picked up.

Mike

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2018 - 10:50 PM