Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Installation issues with latest release
Chris_S
post Jul 8 2013, 06:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,538

Hello,

Over the weekend I tried to update SprutCAM 8 using the latest kernel (Offline CD version) that I downloaded from the main web site. During the install I get a warning that "the file is not digitally signed by SprutCAM" and I get prompted to continue (yes/no). I choose yes and the installation appears to go normally. However, once complete the first thing I noticed is that SC doesn't start after the install (using the checkbox to start SC). Also the the shortcut in the start menu doesn't work. I am asked by Windows to find the file. I can then point to the SprutCAM 8.exe and it will load, but then I get an error that says: "SprutCAM: File \DEF2D.SET not found". I click OK then it loads the interface sometimes, other times it is running, but the screen never shows up while the application is on the task bar.

I just re-downloaded the offline CD package today and still have the same issue. even after uninstalling SC. I've updated SC 8 several times in the past and have never had this problem before.

I'm running Windows 7 x64. Any thoughts or ideas

Thanks,
Chris
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jul 8 2013, 08:13 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Chris, welcome to the SprutCAM user forum.

It is important that SprutCAM 8 is installed and run with full administrator rights. You don't mention where you obtained the installation / update CD.
I would suggest that you first run un-install before re-installing.
You can download the latest archive here: http://download.sprutcam.com/download/spru...lease_EN_RU.zip
This is not an iso image for creating an installation disk, but should simply be copied to the non-internet connected PC, unzipped and then used to update / install SprutCAM 8.
If the PC is internet connected then you can simply use the SCSetup.exe file to automatically download and install the latest revision: http://download.sprutcam.com/download/spru...n-8/SCsetup.exe.

Let me know if you solve the problem?

Kind regards

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Chris_S
post Jul 9 2013, 01:54 AM
Post #3

Thanks for the response. The link you provided is the same link where I got my download. I've done this at least a half dozen times in the past with SC 7 and SC 8 and never run into this issue before. Here is what I did (in fact I'm doing again as I type this with the ZIP I downloaded earlier today):

1. Unzip the downloaded "release_EN_RU.zip" to "c:\release_EN_RU\"
2. Run SCSetup.exe as admin (although I do have UAC disabled on my PC)
3. Accept user agreement, click though to the selection of "Release".
4. Choose Typical installation.
5. Accept default directory (C:\Program Files\Sprut Technology\SprutCAM 8)
6. Installation begins, but shortly this appears:
Attached File  Capture.JPG ( 65.21K ) Number of downloads: 8

7. Select YES and installation continues and completes.
Attached File  Capture2.JPG ( 31.12K ) Number of downloads: 4

8. Note "Start SprutCAM" is checked, I click finish and nothing happens. SC doesn't start.

9. Now I go to the start menu and try to manually start it. The shortcut it created is incorrect (the other shortcuts are fine). It's saying to run SprutCAM.exe when the file should be "SprutCAM 8.exe"
Attached File  Capture3.JPG ( 44.77K ) Number of downloads: 5

10. Windows asks me to locate the exe so I point it to "C:\Program Files\Sprut Technology\SprutCAM 8\Bin64\SprutCAM 8.exe"
11. SC starts to load then I get this:
Attached File  Capture4.JPG ( 15.87K ) Number of downloads: 5

12. I click OK then it starts. Seems usable, but I haven't done any extensive testing. However any time I open a project, start a new project, or restart SC it does this.

I searched for this file and there are copies in "C:\ProgramData\Version 8\Patterns" and "C:\Users\All Users\Version 8\Patterns". I'd copy the file to where it needs to be only I don't know where that should be.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the previous installation to go back to (I believe I downloaded that one in March). I only have the original CD I got from Tormach, and that version is from November 2012 and has known issues that make it less than usable for me.

The other issue I mentioned about not being able to see it was due to it loading on a 2nd display that should have been disabled. So please disregard that one.

Thanks and let me know if there are any log files or something I can collect that would help.

-Chris

+Quote Post
Chris_S
post Jul 9 2013, 01:57 AM
Post #4

Seems like the first screenshot won't show the full size image (cuts off halfway). So her it that one again:
Attached File  Capture.JPG ( 65.21K ) Number of downloads: 3

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jul 9 2013, 05:38 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Chris, have you run uninstall? Running uninstall should not affect your USB activation.
If the PC is internet connected, did you try running SCsetup.exe on it's own? You could use the one that is included with the archive file, simply move it to a different location (e.g. Desktop) and run it, this will allow it to download the latest revision before installing it.
SprutCAM 8 uses a new installer which automatically downloads and installs the appropriate version (32 bit / 64 bit) whereas with SprutCAM 7 it was always downloaded as a complete archive.
I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but please also try selecting the 'English - SprutCAM America' as the installer.
If you continue to experience problems I would suggest that you contact your SprutCAM reseller to see if there are any known installer issues.

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  09_07_2013_06_41_31.png ( 9.7K ) Number of downloads: 2

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Chris_S
post Jul 10 2013, 05:40 PM
Post #6

I finally got it to work again, but a normal uninstall didn't help. The regular uninstall left a lot things behind and the problems just kept reoccurring.

So I ended up having to manually delete the "C:\Program Files\Sprut Technology", "C:\ProgramData\Sprut Technology", and "C:\ProgramData\Sprut Technology JSC" folders manually. Only then did an fresh install go without a problem. This broke the USB key licensing (reverted to Express mode) so I then had to repair that bit and also had to reset some preferences.

End result is I'm back in business.

Thanks.

-Chris

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2019 - 05:37 AM