Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Waterline roughing
jim
post Sep 21 2013, 04:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,496

[font="Arial Black"][/font]

I am doing a WL rouging opp using a 2 tip indexable tool itís a side cutter not a side and face cutter. How do I stop SC7 thinking itís a S&F cutter and plunging into the work at some points instead of just side cutting or leaving what I cannot get into conventionally.

Jim
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Sep 21 2013, 07:47 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Jim, can you attach your SprutCAM 7 project so that we can see what it is that you are doing?

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
jim
post Sep 22 2013, 10:28 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Sep 21 2013, 08:47 PM) *
Jim, can you attach your SprutCAM 7 project so that we can see what it is that you are doing?

Dave

Just keeps saying " You did not select a file to upload"

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Sep 22 2013, 12:32 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Try zipping the SprutCAM project and attach this to your posting. You can drag and drop the required file into the dialogue next to the 'Browse...' button and then select 'UPLOAD'
Attached File(s)
Attached File  22_09_2013_13_39_13.png ( 16.33K ) Number of downloads: 9

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
jim
post Sep 22 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #5

Attached File  222_cab_platform.zip ( 987.22K ) Number of downloads: 5
QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Sep 22 2013, 01:32 PM) *
Try zipping the SprutCAM project and attach this to your posting. You can drag and drop the required file into the dialogue next to the 'Browse...' button and then select 'UPLOAD'

I will have go

Be a wonder if this opens smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Sep 22 2013, 04:02 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

That opened fine.

The Waterline roughing operation is designed to use cutters that are capable of 'plunging', hence it doesn't have a 'No plunge' option.
Having said that, I have had a quick play around with your project and if you create a plunge move that SprutCAM cannot achieve, it appears that this will avoid any plunge moves, although there might be more material remaining than you were expecting.
To try this, on the first operation I selected a 'Zigzag' plunge move only of 5" length, and this appeared to prevent[attachment=246:22_09_20...17_07_04.png] any plunge moves (see attached image).

I hope this helps.

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  22_09_2013_17_07_04.png ( 31.08K ) Number of downloads: 13

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
jim
post Sep 23 2013, 09:51 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Sep 22 2013, 05:02 PM) *
That opened fine.

The Waterline roughing operation is designed to use cutters that are capable of 'plunging', hence it doesn't have a 'No plunge' option.
Having said that, I have had a quick play around with your project and if you create a plunge move that SprutCAM cannot achieve, it appears that this will avoid any plunge moves, although there might be more material remaining than you were expecting.
To try this, on the first operation I selected a 'Zigzag' plunge move only of 5" length, and this appeared to prevent[attachment=246:22_09_20...17_07_04.png] any plunge moves (see attached image).

I hope this helps.

Dave

Thnaks Dave it looks like i started in the wrong place and as usual it just got worse. Should i have used a differant strategy?

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Sep 24 2013, 05:36 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (jim @ Sep 23 2013, 10:51 AM) *
Thnaks Dave it looks like i started in the wrong place and as usual it just got worse. Should i have used a differant strategy?

It's a bit more of a challenge trying to use a side cutting only tool, so you could try breaking it down into smaller area's to avoid the plunge moves. 2D Contouring is a 'side' cutting operation, so you could try using this to machine some area's making use of the 'Roughing XY paths' option that this operation has.
There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way of doing things, as long as the end result is correct that's all that matters.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
jim
post Sep 28 2013, 12:53 PM
Post #9

The simulation now works fine when I select zigzag and I donít have the plunge problem I had Dave. For some reason though the path wants to run round the outside of the restricted zones, this is actually outside the work envelope of the machine so if I did run it would trip.

I have tired various combinations of plunge strategy length angle diameter etc but if I have anything selected but axial it heads off on a voyage of discovery round the restricted zones,

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Sep 28 2013, 01:05 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

It's very difficult to diagnose without having the project to analyse.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
jim
post Sep 29 2013, 11:54 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Sep 28 2013, 02:05 PM) *
It's very difficult to diagnose without having the project to analyse.

Dave

Did the upload in post five not work ?

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Sep 29 2013, 03:13 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Err, yes it did otherwise I would not have been able to diagnose the previous issue....

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
jim
post Sep 29 2013, 03:42 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Sep 29 2013, 04:13 PM) *
Err, yes it did otherwise I would not have been able to diagnose the previous issue....

Sorry Dave I must stop assuming people can read my mind.

Open up the project as is run the first opp and as you have seen I have the plunge problem, but all the tool paths are around the part and contained by the restricted zones.

Modify the first opp strategy as per your instructions and the cutter path now generates around the part but also heads off round the outside of the restricted zones.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Sep 29 2013, 06:19 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Deselect 'Check part', it solves it here.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
jim
post Oct 4 2013, 07:14 PM
Post #15

Dave,
Thanks a million, I changed the project and it now runs fine I will run the thing in real life in the morning. I have read the help file but can make no sense of the explanation for check part or what it means. Could you explain what it is supposed to do or not as the case may be?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2019 - 02:50 PM