Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3D/2D contouring question
bll230
post Jul 16 2016, 10:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,558

Dave, Trying to learn about the 3D contouring, which I admit I do not understand because the manual doesn't say anything about the top and bottom offset fields,
I made this simple test piece.

I have a 2D contouring with project toolpath and a 3D contouring that I have been playing with individually by swapping their order in the list.

If you look at the verify compare it shows that the 2D contouring cuts the exact amount at the highest z level but leaves too much material as it moves to the lowest z level.

The 3D is the opposite. It cuts the proper amount at the highest z level, but then cuts too much as it moves to the lowest z level.

Nothing I have tried will make it cut the proper amount all the way around the bevel and consequently show green all the way around in the verify compare.

A quick lesson on the 3D contouring would be helpful as the online English manual gives no information specific to the 3D that is not also about the 2D.

Thanks

John
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Bevelpractice.stc ( 249.24K ) Number of downloads: 3

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Oct 3 2016, 07:20 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi John,

The problem with the 2D Contouring operation leaving too much material is not a problem with the 2D Contouring operation, it is caused by the cutter not being able to cut the shape required. Please look at the attached screengrab which shows the problem. For parts like this it is necessary to use a 3D strategy (Morph?) and a ballnose cutter.
3D Contouring (originally called 3D Curve milling) only machines a 3D curve(s), it does not machine based upon model surfaces. I rarely use 3D Contouring, but it can be useful for certain parts...............I don't have a good example to show you at the moment, sorry.

I hope this helps?

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  cutter.png ( 396.19K ) Number of downloads: 5

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
bll230
post Oct 11 2016, 07:04 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the information. The 3D contouring still puzzles me. Is there any difference between it and 2D with project toolpath turned on? Was it there at the beginning and then the project toolpath added at a later time rendering it unneeded? Does 3D have some special ability if one has a 5 axis machine? I try to learn all the nuances of the program, even if I don't need yo. My wife says I have too much free time!

Thanks John

+Quote Post
bll230
post Oct 11 2016, 07:04 PM
Post #4

Thanks for the information. The 3D contouring still puzzles me. Is there any difference between it and 2D with project toolpath turned on? Was it there at the beginning and then the project toolpath added at a later time rendering it unneeded? Does 3D have some special ability if one has a 5 axis machine? I try to learn all the nuances of the program, even if I don't need yo. My wife says I have too much free time!

Thanks John

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Oct 18 2016, 04:59 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

The 3D Contouring (3D Curve) operation has been there in every version of SprutCAM that I have used.

I don't use the 3D Contouring operation very much. 3D Contouring allows you to use 3D curves / edges whereas 2D Contouring only allows the use of 2D curves. Making a quick comparison, 2D Contouring includes 'T slot level' and 'Helical' options which aren't there in 3D Contouring.
As far as I am aware, 3D Contouring doesn't have any 5 axis capabilities.

I hope this helps?

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2017 - 05:07 AM