Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> problem milling a slot/ramp
bll230
post Nov 14 2013, 05:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,558

I need help. I am trying to mill the 4 slot/ramps. I never thought this would be complicated. Nothing I try works, can Mr. SprutUK take a look at it.

Thanks

John

Attached File(s)
Attached File  raptorgearfixtureplate.stc ( 725.99K ) Number of downloads: 10

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
danh818
post Nov 14 2013, 08:26 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,448

Hey John,
I'm no expert, but I have a couple ideas about your project.
I think that 3d contouring or plane would work well. My guess as to why you are having such difficulty though, is because of the way you have setup your local cs1. It looks a thought your local cs is set to g54, I think that is causing you some or all of the headache. Try setting the local cs to g55 or simply define the workpiece setup as being rotated 180 degrees and translated to the appropriate height, eg. + or - .375 and stay with g54, but as the global cs, not local. I would also use hole machining with hole pocketing as the strategy for the four notches that meet up to the ramp/slot. And don't forget spiral approach on your waterlines, I use that all the time with great results rather than just plunging.
Good Luck,
Dan

QUOTE (bll230 @ Nov 14 2013, 09:17 AM) *
I need help. I am trying to mill the 4 slot/ramps. I never thought this would be complicated. Nothing I try works, can Mr. SprutUK take a look at it.

Thanks

John

+Quote Post
danh818
post Nov 15 2013, 02:11 AM
Post #3

I had some time at the end of the day today to play with your file John. Hopefully this is close to what you were working towards. It's by no means 'ready to run'. You will have to change tools, speeds and feeds, etc.
Good Luck,
Dan

Attached File(s)
Attached File  raptorgearfixtureplatedan.zip ( 796.13K ) Number of downloads: 1

+Quote Post
bll230
post Nov 15 2013, 02:59 AM
Post #4

Dan, thanks of your help.

After a few more hours I ended up with a finishing waterline for the flat parts and then another finishing waterline for the ramps, very similar to what you did. Works, but there has to be way for a continuous cut up the ramp.

I really want to understand your use of the G55, but I cannot see how you are telling Sprutcam to use the G55, since the local cs is turned off in every operation. Where are you telling it to use the local CS after the part flip?

Thanks

John

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Nov 15 2013, 07:06 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (bll230 @ Nov 14 2013, 05:17 PM) *

Thanks

John

Hi John,

I would use 2D Contouring. I note that the slot is 0.13" wide and your cutter is 0.125" so I have added stock of 0.0025" to run the cutter through the centre of the slot(s). If you want to cut it to 0.13" wide you will need to machine both sides of each slot without any stock.

I hope this helps?

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  raptorgearfixtureplate.zip ( 196.5K ) Number of downloads: 9

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
bll230
post Nov 15 2013, 02:18 PM
Post #6

Thank you both. Dave, you are amazing, I had tried 2D contouring, but I did not check the "project on axis" so all it did was turn my ramp into a slot. I have used the project on axis, but always to follow a curve I created above my part, like for engraving. I didn't think about using it for a part feature. I also would not have realized that you have to put the top and bottom level above the part. Brilliant.

Dan, I did not know you could choose individual faces for waterline and other operations. I finally figured out how you flipped the part, very ingenious, but I like having zero at the same place after the flip, which does require the additional CS.

Probably 6-8 hours spent on this one operation, which Dave did in 2 minutes. Always getting better!

John

+Quote Post
bll230
post Nov 15 2013, 05:33 PM
Post #7

Dave, I also finally figured out Drive, which is what I originally thought would be the one to use, since it contours in a radial direct (if you set it up properly!)

Thanks again

John

+Quote Post
danh818
post Nov 16 2013, 12:01 AM
Post #8

John, when you say "project on axis", are you referring to 'tool axis orientation' or perhaps 'toolpath projection'? Just wondering because I am not familiar with project on axis.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Nov 16 2013, 06:06 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (bll230 @ Nov 15 2013, 05:33 PM) *
Dave, I also finally figured out Drive, which is what I originally thought would be the one to use, since it contours in a radial direct (if you set it up properly!)

Thanks again

John

Hi John,

Yes 'Finishing drive' will also do it, although it will only cut at full depth.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th February 2019 - 09:02 AM