Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SprutCAM 7.1.6 and Inventor 2014
Mauricio
post May 23 2013, 04:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,382

Hello

SprutCAM 7.1.6 rev 64105 is not reading files well out of Autodesk Inventor 2014. It is giving me extra faces that do not exist in the original model.
I brought this up with Autodesk, and they were able to reproduce the issue. They are not seeing this behavior with any other CAM package.
I tried exporting as a different format with these results:
I downloaded two other CAM packages, as trial downloads, to perform a more thorough test. These packages were BobCAD and InventorCAM. Both of them were able to read the files out of Inventor 2014 without creating the extra faces

STEP: Extra Faces
SAT: Extra Faces
STL: No extra faces, but gives you a mesh, making it difficult to select individual faces for operations
IGES (Output: Solid - Surface Type: 143 bounded - Solid Face Type: Analytic): Good result
IGES (Output: Solid - Surface Type: 143 bounded - Solid Face Type: NURBS): Extra Faces
IGES (Output: Solid - Surface Type: 144 Trimmed - Solid Face Type: Analytic): Good result
IGES (Output: Solid - Surface Type: 144 Trimmed- Solid Face Type: NURBS): Extra Faces
IGES (Output: Surfaces - Surface Type: 143 bounded): Good result
IGES (Output: Surfaces - Surface Type: 144 Trimmed): Extra Faces

In my communication with Autodesk, they expressed that they had contacted SprutCAM and that they made SC aware of the situation. Autodesk informed me that SC told them they were going to address the issue in an update to the software. The update was supposed to be this latest one, but the issue remains.

The results I got from the different IGES options suggest that there's a problem with SC's reading of the NURBS entities it is reading. The good thing is that there is a workaround. The bad thing is that I will need to use a workaround when the software (SC) is supposed to read Inventor files straight, with no need to export and import them to be able to use them.

I'm hoping that SC monitors this forum and they can address this issue soon. I doubt they want their software to not be able to read files straight out of Inventor 2014.

Thanks

Mauricio
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post May 23 2013, 08:24 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Mauricio,

Have you taken this matter up with your SprutCAM reseller or contacted Sprut directly to raise the issue with them?

Who was it that informed you that it would be fixed in the latest download?
Was it supposed to be fixed in the latest version (8) or version 7 as well? I know that they still update SprutCAM 7 occasionally, but not as often as version 8, so maybe the fix hasn't yet worked it's way through their automated updating & testing system.

The problem sounds to me like there may have been a change in the Inventor surface definitions which hasn't yet made it into the Inventor Addin for SprutCAM. Have you always had this 'extra face' problem when using the Inventor addin or maybe you have updated your Inventor installation recently?

SprutCAM does not read Inventor models 'natively', Inventor has to be installed on the same PC as SprutCAM to be able to open Inventor files. SprutCAM then simply uses Inventor to export the model in the required format for SprutCAM's own consumption, and then regurgitates it directly into SprutCAM for you to start machining it.
I have at least on customer who is using the Inventor addin with SprutCAM and has been for several years now without any complaints (so far) wink.gif.

Please keep us up to date with your progress, thanks. If it can be solved before it gets to my customer that would be a bonus

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Mauricio
post May 24 2013, 03:47 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,382

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ May 23 2013, 01:24 PM) *
Hi Mauricio,

Have you taken this matter up with your SprutCAM reseller or contacted Sprut directly to raise the issue with them?

Who was it that informed you that it would be fixed in the latest download?
Was it supposed to be fixed in the latest version (8) or version 7 as well? I know that they still update SprutCAM 7 occasionally, but not as often as version 8, so maybe the fix hasn't yet worked it's way through their automated updating & testing system.

The problem sounds to me like there may have been a change in the Inventor surface definitions which hasn't yet made it into the Inventor Addin for SprutCAM. Have you always had this 'extra face' problem when using the Inventor addin or maybe you have updated your Inventor installation recently?

SprutCAM does not read Inventor models 'natively', Inventor has to be installed on the same PC as SprutCAM to be able to open Inventor files. SprutCAM then simply uses Inventor to export the model in the required format for SprutCAM's own consumption, and then regurgitates it directly into SprutCAM for you to start machining it.
I have at least on customer who is using the Inventor addin with SprutCAM and has been for several years now without any complaints (so far) wink.gif.

Please keep us up to date with your progress, thanks. If it can be solved before it gets to my customer that would be a bonus

Dave

Hi, Dave

First, yes, I have contacted Sprut directly, via their support email. I emailed them right before I posted here. They have replied, acknowledging my message, and saying that they are investigating.

Second, the person that relayed to me the information that Sprut would be updating SC7 to solve this issue, was a representative from Autodesk. I contacted them first, believing that this was a problem from their software. They tested my issue, were able to replicate it, and then they also contacted SC. I don't know if they have fixed it in 8, but I do know that, when I noticed this, I downloaded SC8 just to test, and I got the same results. I do know that they have just released a new update for SC7, but it didn't solve the issue.

Third, I didn't have this problem, from Inventor 2011 through 2013. The problem just arose with Inventor 2014.

SC7 is capable of reading inventor files, without the need to export them as anything. I understand that there is probably an underlying process of file conversion, but it happened on the background, and the process was clean. Now, when I try to do that, either through Inventor, using SC's "Add-In", or from SC, I get the extra faces. Fortunately, I was able to find export parameters for IGES format that work. This, of course, is not the ideal solution. I'd like SC to be updated so that it goes back to working transparently, as it used to.

For sure I'll let all know where this ends.

Mauricio

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post May 25 2013, 06:37 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Mauricio @ May 24 2013, 04:47 PM) *
I didn't have this problem, from Inventor 2011 through 2013. The problem just arose with Inventor 2014.

Ah ok, so it is a change within Inventor that has initiated the problem.

QUOTE (Mauricio @ May 24 2013, 04:47 PM) *
SC7 is capable of reading inventor files, without the need to export them as anything.

Please accept my apologies, I wasn't aware of this change to SprutCAM rolleyes.gif.
In the past we always had to have AutoDesk Inventor installed on the same PC to be able to open a 'native' Inventor model. This is indeed a very nice new feature as long as the Sprut software engineers can sort out the problem caused by the latest release of Inventor.
Could you possibly attach (or PM me) a native Inventor model (zipped) so that I can open it in SprutCAM to see the problem, thanks? I'll be letting my Inventor customer know of this change too, he'll be really pleased because it means he doesn't have to export in IGS format to his separate (workshop) SprutCAM seat any more............he only has one seat of Inventor smile.gif .
I wonder if they will be changing this for all of the other CAD systems too?

Thanks for the update.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2019 - 10:33 PM