anafranil online
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trying to use cutter at an angled orientation....
neeboy
post Mar 19 2015, 02:55 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,566

I've spent several days trying to figure this out, and I just cannot find the answer.

I'm trying to use a Kuka robot to machine foam blocks. I want to tip my cutting bit so it is oriented 45 degrees from vertical instead of straight-up-and-down. That would make it very easy to get at inside corners. I cannot get SprutCAM to machine straight down with the bit at an angle, it always wants to travel in a path parallel to the Z-axis of the cutting bit.

It would be nice if the coordinate system that shows up at the end of the bit could be rotated, but again, I can't find how to do that, and after several days now, I don't think it's possible (but please, please prove me wrong if that's the case!) Please see the attached image, it should be obvious what I'm trying to do.

I can't mill with the bit straight-up-and-down (or even flat-parallel with the XY plane)...this results in the spindle clamp and spindle body colliding with the material at some point before the intended cut is completely finished. I've tried playing with the relief angle of a roughing waterline, but the second I change the orientation of my bit away from perfectly vertical , even by as little as five degrees, the whole toolpath gets messed up. If there is a simple remedy I would greatly appreciate it, this is the last thing I think I need to figure out to get this whole statue-milling enterprise in gear. Thanks in advance for any help!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  SC_angled_cutter_question.png ( 277.33K ) Number of downloads: 22

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
neeboy
post Mar 19 2015, 04:21 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,566

Well...it happened AGAIN, I post here and the solution suddenly presents itself. I used a Roughing Plane operation, and selected the two faces that I wanted to stop at...and voila, it works, I get a perfectly finished "L" shape. Ahh, the silliness of it all rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Mar 28 2015, 11:06 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Maybe this video tuorial will help?: https://youtu.be/63A6JskVDlQ

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2019 - 07:12 AM