> SC7 Rotary machining (finishing) operation
mayhugh1
post Aug 23 2010, 07:50 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 49

Attached File  radial_step_problem.zip ( 366.46K ) Number of downloads: 11
Is the Rotary machining (finishing) operation working in the current latest public release - V1 build 37828)- of SC7? When I try to set up a 4th axis rotary operation to machine using multiple radial passes the resulting toolpath is a single pass against the part and the additional passes show up axially instead of radially. I also usually get wild uncontrollable z values set into the multigoto statement of the approaches. When the operation is simulated with a trivial single layer toolpath SC7 closes up automatically. All surfaces are sewn and the global coordinate system is oriented properly. Here is a simple test project showing the radial/axial step problem. Terry

--------------------
Terry
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mayhugh1
post Aug 25 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

QUOTE (mayhugh1 @ Aug 23 2010, 07:50 AM) *
Attached File  radial_step_problem.zip ( 366.46K ) Number of downloads: 11
Is the Rotary machining (finishing) operation working in the current latest public release - V1 build 37828)- of SC7? When I try to set up a 4th axis rotary operation to machine using multiple radial passes the resulting toolpath is a single pass against the part and the additional passes show up axially instead of radially. I also usually get wild uncontrollable z values set into the multigoto statement of the approaches. When the operation is simulated with a trivial single layer toolpath SC7 closes up automatically. All surfaces are sewn and the global coordinate system is oriented properly. Here is a simple test project showing the radial/axial step problem. Terry

Has anyone else had a probem with defining multiple layers with this operation? I've submitted a bug report to Sprutcam, but I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong. I think I've traced the wild multigoto z value to the fact that this value isn't getting properly converted in a project that was converted from metric units to imperial. - Terry

--------------------
Terry

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Sep 1 2010, 08:37 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (mayhugh1 @ Aug 26 2010, 12:52 AM) *
Has anyone else had a probem with defining multiple layers with this operation? I've submitted a bug report to Sprutcam, but I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong. I think I've traced the wild multigoto z value to the fact that this value isn't getting properly converted in a project that was converted from metric units to imperial. - Terry

Terry, I've been on vacation and haven't been on here for a while.
Hopefully you have had a reply from Sprut Russia.
I haven't used the Rotary machining operation very much, but the one thing that I do know is that it is important that the faces used must have their normals pointing in the correct direction.
To reverse the surface normal you should select the faces in Model mode and on the right mouse click menu select 'Inverse'.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
mayhugh1
post Sep 2 2010, 06:00 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Dave,
I got a response from Russia but I couldn't tell if they were just acknowledging receipt of my issue or if they agreed that there is indeed an issue with the software.
I'm pretty sure I have the correct side of the faces selected, but I tried inversing them anyway and got a nonsense toolpath that crashed the application when simulated. This operation in SC7 is very simular to the old 5 axis tool end operation in SC2007 that I used for machining cams and it works fine. I think it just got broken in SC7. - Terry

--------------------
Terry

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Sep 2 2010, 08:11 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Hi Terry, I'm not sure if you are reffering to the 'Tool-end 5D' operation in SC2007, but this is still available in SC7.........it has been renamed '5D Contouring'.
I do have a customer who has used the Rotary machining operation to good effect, but he wasn't using the 'Radial layers' option, maybe this function is a little flaky..........
I am hoping to get across to see the software engineers later this year, I will add this to my list of questions to ask them wink.gif

If I was machining the part in your project, I would probably use the Roughing waterline operation to machine down to complete one flat face, and then use the 'Multiply toolpath by axis' option to repeat this around the A axis (60 degrees x 6 repeats).

I hope this helps.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
mayhugh1
post Sep 2 2010, 09:30 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Dave,
Thanks for the reply. The project I was doing when I ran into the problem was a fairly complex camshaft. As I was trying to simplify them model in order better understand the operation and to look for a work-around I ended up concluding that any model would cause the operation to fail. So, I just created the simple hex project to show the main problem. I agree with you though that there are more straight-forward ways to machine the example.
Yes, the tool-end 5D operastion is the SC2007 operation that I had been using. It seems to have morphed into the two 5D contouring and rotary machining operations in SC7. The rotary operation, though, is the only one of the two that I could use to machine a camshaft using a continuous 4 axis setup though. Everything that Ive tried using this op seems to work except for the roughing layers. A work around I just thought of might be to set up a new operation for each layer so lomg as the "leave stock" function works. - Terry

--------------------
Terry

+Quote Post
djb
post Nov 24 2010, 12:51 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Terry,

Have you gotten this to work on a more recent version of sprutcam? I see 1.1 is now available. I plan to have my first go at 4th axis work soon and was planning on using the same opperation.

Dave, hope you are doing well!

David

--------------------

+Quote Post
mayhugh1
post Nov 29 2010, 07:22 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (djb @ Nov 24 2010, 12:51 AM) *
Terry,

Have you gotten this to work on a more recent version of sprutcam? I see 1.1 is now available. I plan to have my first go at 4th axis work soon and was planning on using the same opperation.

David

Yes,
It's fixed in 1.1. I made two cams with it. - Terry

--------------------
Terry

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Nov 30 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (djb @ Nov 24 2010, 12:51 AM) *

David

Hi David, sorry, I missed your original post. Yes I am doing well thank you. I am just preparing for a trip to see the software engineers at Sprut in the middle of December.
I'm hoping to have a look at what's to come, and will be doing some more video's after my return........

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2019 - 04:14 AM