Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cutter Compensation
JTulley
post Nov 14 2008, 09:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,733

Hi All,

I'd like to know whether it's possible to include cutter compensation in the g-code generated by Sprutcam.

Essentially this is the problem I have. I want to make a part with a pocket to suit a bearing, and design my CAD part for nominal sizes, then run this through Sprutcam and make the part on my mill.
The pocket comes out a little too small so I need to make it larger.
At the moment I can either
1. Redesign the CAD part for a larger pocket and then run through Sprut and manufacture again.
2. Modify the tool dimension in Sprut so that the pocket is cut larger.

However if I'm making lots of these parts and the cutter wears etc it would be much easier to tweak the tool size on the mill and let the G41/G42 ( I think ) commands take care of the cutter compensation.

From the looks of the documentation Sprutcam can only apply cutter compensation for two specific machining features ( 2D and 3D curves ).

Is this correct?, and if so are there any tips on how others handle this issue.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Nov 14 2008, 06:14 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Welcome to the forum. You are correct, SprutCAM will only output cutter compensation commands for the 2D Contouring and 3D Curve milling operations.
You must ensure that the Curve(s) are set to 'Contour output' and that 'Compensation' is selected.
You will also need to select appropriate 'Compensation switch cut' Approach and Retraction moves. You should check your CNC manual for the correct method (Normal / Tangent).
Lastly, you will need to use a postprocessor which has the cutter compensation method for your CNC control enabled (G41 / G42 - RL / RR etc.).

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2018 - 08:42 PM