anafranil online
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can one rotate a part manually in the middle of a job?, Need advice on how to rotate a part in the middle of a job
Torin Walker
post May 16 2012, 02:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,241

Can anyone suggest a better way to do this?

I am simulating the machining of an organically shaped mould cavity, then exporting the machining into a new project as the workpiece. From there, I apply the original contours (in this case, an embossed logo), rotate by 30 degrees, and mill the logo. The problem is that importing this organic shape takes an extraordinarily long time to process and ultimately results in an out-of-memory condition. The logo is situated at 30 degrees to the normal (i.e. The logo is up on the curved part of the wall of this concave cavity.)

What I really want to do is machine the concave cavity, then rotate the result of this 1st operation by 30 degrees, then mill the logo mill in a 2nd operation. If the aforementioned method didn't take up so much memory, it would have worked out perfectly.

Has anyone rotated a part in the middle of an operation?

If not, is it possible to define a *MANUAL* 4th axis?

Torin...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post May 17 2012, 09:08 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Create a new Local CS (LCS) that is rotated around the required axis. Make sure that you set the 'Workpiece CS' and 'Local CS' for the rotated operation to use the newly created rotated coordinate system (Local CS1?).
Don't forget to disable the operations which aren't being used.

I hope this helps.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Torin Walker
post May 18 2012, 03:15 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ May 17 2012, 05:08 PM) *
Create a new Local CS (LCS) that is rotated around the required axis. Make sure that you set the 'Workpiece CS' and 'Local CS' for the rotated operation to use the newly created rotated coordinate system (Local CS1?).
Don't forget to disable the operations which aren't being used.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Thank you, Dave. I think I see how this will work. I'll try it out and post my results.

Torin...

+Quote Post
Torin Walker
post May 29 2012, 05:40 PM
Post #4

It worked like a charm. I rotated the model (had to do all three: workpiece, workpiece CS, and Local CS), but the operation took hold and milled at the angle.

I am curious about the results in the simulator though - On the rotated passes, the simulator of course colored in the pass using a pink color that indicates clearly the work done, but the triangles representing the resultant work were extremely messed up - like rocky terrain, but worse because it didn't appear to have much in common with the cutter work itself. The cutter was going in long straight parallel passes (waterline), but the edges when zoomed in close showed distraught, rough, almost random edges. On a macro scale, it appears the simulator did indeed mill away the residual material from the previous passes, but at a micro level, the surface didn't make sense with what the simulator (cutter) just did.

I have run simulations in the past where some weird artifact crops up - a small abutment of material is left against a wall - which I can normally make go away by "RUN"ning the calculations and simulations again, but if I run the postprocessor right afterward, those artifacts turn up in the machined workpiece.

I'm afraid this rocky, uneven result of the re-oriented machining passes will actually transfer to the machined piece.

I did read somewhere however that simulations only support 3D milling, and not yet for 5D machinework. Is it possible the rocky artifacts I'm seeing are the result of this not-yet-completed simulation functionality?

Torin...

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post May 29 2012, 07:59 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

It's very difficult to fault find issues like this without seeing a project. Having said that, the first thing that I would suggest is to try changing the 'Simulation method' to 'Voxel 5D' and see if this helps?
Voxel 3D is the preferred method for simulating standard 3D parts, but when rotating parts etc. it's best to use the Voxel 5D.

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  29_05_2012_21_03_17.png ( 11.93K ) Number of downloads: 7

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Torin Walker
post Jun 1 2012, 12:18 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ May 29 2012, 03:59 PM) *
It's very difficult to fault find issues like this without seeing a project. Having said that, the first thing that I would suggest is to try changing the 'Simulation method' to 'Voxel 5D' and see if this helps?
Voxel 3D is the preferred method for simulating standard 3D parts, but when rotating parts etc. it's best to use the Voxel 5D.

Dave

Dave, I was in Voxel 5D mode. I will post some pictures in a minute, but right now I have a more pressing issue. The Tool Change Position, and Approach / Returns are showing lines that would (if I can them) would crash my tool into the tabletop and no matter what numbers I throw in there, I can't seem to get SprutCAM to set the Approach/Return paths correctly.

I've posted my question as a separate posting. I appreciate your knowledge and effort to help us all here on the forum, Dave. If you would, could you take a look? It's a new post entitled "Wonky Approach/Return paths - bug? or keyboard-chair-interface problem?"

Torin...

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jun 1 2012, 08:14 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Do you have the 'Simulation method' in 'Setup' set to 'Voxel 5D' too?
Attached File(s)
Attached File  01_06_2012_09_17_22.png ( 18.81K ) Number of downloads: 5

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2019 - 12:51 PM