anafranil online
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rest Milling for Pocket Opp tips and a few other ?
djb
post Sep 18 2008, 01:04 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

Im doing a project with very small end mills and creating an emblem. It will require end mills of 1/16 to do the mass of the material removal in pockets around the letters and then I need to use an engraver with a few thousands tip to do the remainder of the material removal. Im using curves to define the pockets/raised areas.

It seems as though creating a new opperation doesnt appear to take into account the previos machining opp so trys to machine the entire thing again. Its probably settings Im not aware of. The newest build doesnt appear to have a pocket opp in the rest milling tab. Any tips on how to make this work would be greatly appreciated.

Also, there appears to be a bug(at least for me) when trying to enter material in the workpiece definition. if I try to add .2 inch to the material around the part, the program hangs. When defining a work piece from scratch, I cant simply enter numbers, as they dissapear or change to fractions. Also, in the parameters tab, my numbers are turning to fractioins and I would perfer decimal. I looked for a setting but missed seeing it. Is this settable somewhere?

David

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Sep 18 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

SprutCAM 2007 (V5) automatically passes on the machining result as a workpiece for the subsequent operation(s). So, if you have one roughing operation which follows another, the second operation should only machine what remains from the previous operation.
From this point of view, rest milling is automatic. If a subsequent operation is not designed to machine the workpiece, then the machining result has no effect on the toolpath calculation.
This does allow 2D & 3D pocketing operations to be combined.
You can use the 'Check workpiece' option in the finish operations to use rest milling if required...........

I have checked the 0.2 stock problem and have found the same issue as you. If you deselect the 'Same stock' option, then it works ok. Have you already reported this error to your dealer or Sprut directly?

I haven't had a chance to check out the fractions thing, as I normally work in metric. I don't know of any method for switching off the fractions input / display.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
djb
post Sep 20 2008, 01:12 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Sep 18 2008, 04:47 PM) *
SprutCAM 2007 (V5) automatically passes on the machining result as a workpiece for the subsequent operation(s). So, if you have one roughing operation which follows another, the second operation should only machine what remains from the previous operation.
From this point of view, rest milling is automatic. If a subsequent operation is not designed to machine the workpiece, then the machining result has no effect on the toolpath calculation.
This does allow 2D & 3D pocketing operations to be combined.
You can use the 'Check workpiece' option in the finish operations to use rest milling if required...........

I have checked the 0.2 stock problem and have found the same issue as you. If you deselect the 'Same stock' option, then it works ok. Have you already reported this error to your dealer or Sprut directly?

I haven't had a chance to check out the fractions thing, as I normally work in metric. I don't know of any method for switching off the fractions input / display.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I dug a bit deeper based on your reply and it appears that the default setting under Auxillury > Workpiece was Worlpiece of previous opperation instead of Rest material from previous opperation. Once switching to Rest material..., it worked beautifully!

I have not reported it, should I send the bug report to Yuri via Email?

Thanks again!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2019 - 01:00 PM