Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 5.39 Initial Review
MickeyD
post Jun 16 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,289

I downloaded and installed 5.39 and some of the newer posts on Friday and so far I am very impressed. I am running a Sharp SV2412 with the Fanuc 0iMateMB control (this is a pretty generic small mill with a tool changer) and had been using a highly modified Fadal post, but I have never been totally happy with the way the machine ran with it. I did some testing with several of the new Fanuc posts that were released on some old projects (please do a review of the code before you try a new one, one I found was posting a Z -100 rapid in the M30 cycle so that could give a nasty surprise at the end of a program) and the Fanuc 0MD_02.spp seems very nice. I did some tests that involved arcs, some drilling and some surfacing, and the machine sounds much smoother than before (used to get stuttering in arcs or too many digits errors on occasion) and the surface finish is very nice. The inch tool library is also behaving itself, so that is another big plus to upgrade. As far as interface changes, all of the ones that I have used so far are a major positive in streamlining the workflow process. The new setup sheet is a lot more useful, and a lot of other things just seem to work better and are more stable.

Something that would be nice to see in a future release would be a universal tool library that stored tool information in both imperial and metric units. Here in the states (Canada has a lot of the same problems) inch tooling is a lot less expensive and much easier to get than metric. It would be great if I could setup a new tool in a universal library using the inch specifications and speed/feed recommendations from the manufacturer vs. having to do a conversion and set it up twice - once in an inch library and once in a metric library. It is one of those things that is not that big of a deal, but it could help take the chance of a conversion error out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jun 16 2008, 08:02 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Although I haven't done much with it yet, have you tried using the new 'Work with Tools library' option on the 'Machines' tab?
You can also select the units that you are using on the Tools tab, and enter the required data, then select the units that the project is working in (e.g. metric) and SprutCAM will convert it for you.
For example, if I am working on a Metric project, but wish to use an imperial size tool I would do this:

On the tool tab for an operation, I would set the units to Imperial.....
Then enter the length and diameter of the tool e.g. Length 2", Diameter 0.75".....
Then set the units back to mm, and SprutCAM converts the values to metric for you i.e. Length 50.8mm, Diameter 19.05mm......

It's nice to see that we can also save the holder data too.....

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2019 - 12:14 PM