IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Inch to cm conversion issue
Guest_dneisler_*
post Mar 2 2006, 05:55 PM
Post #1

Guests

I am using 1.24, and when I bring in the IGS file from alibre it wants to convert inches to cm. I have alibre in inches, and as best I know SC is in inches as well. Why is it wanting to convert these on every file I have?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Mar 2 2006, 06:17 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Not sure, I'll take a look.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Mar 2 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Everything seems ok here.
Please check in Alibre.....Tools - Options - File types, and make sure that 'Represent model in' is set to Inches.

Please check in SprutCAM....Options - Edit - Measurement units, Units (System) is set to Imperial AND 'Default parameters' is using imperial.xml.

If any of these are different then set them as above.

Let me know how you get on.

Dave

+Quote Post
Guest_dneisler_*
post Mar 5 2006, 02:29 AM
Post #4

Guests

Both are set perfect. Krisz is looking into as well. I can save as IGS then open direct in SC and it works fine. Not a big deal.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Mar 5 2006, 06:49 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Ok, I'm sure Krisz will get it sorted. Can you post up here when you find the cause as others may be suffering with the same problem, thanks.

Dave

+Quote Post
krisz
post Mar 5 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Well it does looks like this bug is still around. When you import a model from Alibre for some reason SprutCAM changes your measurement units back to millimeters, even if you had it set to inches before.
I will contact Sprut and let them know about this problem. It could be annoying but i dont think it is something that would prevent you from work with the software.

Krisztian Toth
Tokay Tech Inc.
http://www.cnc-programming.com
http://www.sprut.ca

+Quote Post
MMcCawley
post Mar 28 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 34

I run into the same problem when inporting Solidworks files using the "one click" icon inside of Solidworks. When SprutCAM opens it promps me and asks if I want to scale the part. I always selected No and go into the options and change the units from MM to inches. I think the SprutCAM engineers are secretly trying to convert the US users from English to SI units. ;-)

+Quote Post
djb
post Aug 4 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

New guy here... I'll be using Solidworks as my design software. Before I write the check for the sprutcam software, can someone confirm there's a workaround for mm - inches issue mentioned here? Most of my parts will be in inches and want to make sure I can stay that way start to finish.

Thanks!

David

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Aug 5 2006, 04:19 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Hi David, welcome to the forum. I think that there was an issue with units in build 1.24 of SC when using some of the addins that link SprutCAM to CAD.
I haven't had any reports of any problems of this kind with build 1.25, in fact the link with SolidWorks seems to work very well.

If you have any questions please feel free to post them up.

Dave

+Quote Post
djb
post Aug 7 2006, 04:14 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Excellent... thanks!

+Quote Post
68Rustang
post Feb 6 2007, 09:30 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 113

I am using Alibre Design Expert v9.1 SP1 and SprutCAM v1.25 for Alibre Design and am having the same issue. AD is set to represent the model in "inches." SprutCAM is set for "Imperial Units" as default. Whenever I use the "Add ins -> SprutCAM" it asks me if I want to scale from mm to inches. What am I doing wrong?

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Feb 6 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

There has always been some issues with Alibre exporting to SprutCAM. I don't have the ability to link my purchased version of Alibre with SprutCAM, it only seems to work if you buy the Alibre Expert version.....kind of strange.
On the few occasions that I use Alibre now I always export as IGS and open this directly from SprutCAM. There appears to be an issue with Alibre creating metric IGS models using Centimeter units so that they have to be scaled when opened in SprutCAM.
TBH I gave up on trying to get this issue resolved with Alibre a long time ago, but I think one or two other Alibre users on this forum are trying to get some clarification as to why they are having these continuing problems...........perhaps if enough of you shout loud enough then Alibre might get their act together.....

Dave

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Feb 7 2007, 04:31 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I've been in contact with Alibre regarding other errors when using the add-in to pass an Alibre part directly to SprutCAM but I didn't mention the metric-Imperial issue as the other problems were more important to me. I'll open a new incident report with them tonight to add another request that it be resolved.

Mike

+Quote Post
68Rustang
post Feb 9 2007, 02:37 AM
Post #14

I will talk to them about it as well.

+Quote Post
68Rustang
post Feb 10 2007, 03:54 PM
Post #15

Response from Alibre:

QUOTE (Converted Post)
The reason that this happens is that the native format for IGS files is CM. No matter what you set your units to in Alibre, this file type will still convert them to CM. When you bring the model into SprutCAM, this scale option allows you to convert the model for the default unit in SprutCAM. Set your default units in sprutcam to "inches". When you load the model into Sprutcam from the Alibre Add-On, click Yes on the scale option. This will import your model with the correct units.

Then my question is if IGS is going to export in CM no matter what, why does AD even give us the option of representing IGS files in inches?

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Feb 10 2007, 06:48 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Converted Post)
Then my question is if IGS is going to export in CM no matter what, why does AD even give us the option of representing IGS files in inches?

Good question - did you follow up with Alibre on that?

They still haven't gotten back to me on the incident report filed on the same issue a few days ago. I'm not too concerned though as a simple mouse click to OK the units conversion in SprutCAM is not a very big deal.

Mike

+Quote Post
68Rustang
post Feb 11 2007, 07:34 AM
Post #17

Yes I did ask them and will let you know if I get a response.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2019 - 12:04 PM