Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phase / setup
Rahmtech
post Jan 4 2016, 03:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,908

Hi
I miss the ability to have multiple setups or phases within the same part/scene. Add a stage function then all 1->x stages of machining will fit into the same part. This is even more important when SprutCAM don?t support multiple sessions/windows.
/micke
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 4 2016, 06:12 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Micke, could you perhaps explain a bit more about what the stage / phases are that you mention? I have never come across these terms used in relation to CAM / CNC machining.

Thanks.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Rahmtech
post Jan 8 2016, 10:17 AM
Post #3

I don?t know if phase or setup is the correct term in english. Here?s the scenario.

You mill one side of the part and then you turn it over to do the next "phase or setup".

I would like that one SC file could contain all setups needed for one part. Some software manage several phases for one part and also allow us to use different machines in each setup. This is powerfull if you first turn the part and then put it into the milling machine. If made correct each phase use the stock from the previuos one.

I haven?t tried it out but I guess that you can use gruop and get almost the same function.
/micke

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 9 2016, 10:12 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

It has been possible to create multiple setups within SprutCAM for quite some time now. You can download an example SprutCAM 9 project that I have created for you to show a part being flipped inbetween two roughing operations, is this the sort of thing that you want to do? Yes, using Groups can be useful when doing complex parts with multiple setups.
You can only use a single machine within a SprutCAM project, this is because SprutCAM calculates the toolpaths based upon the kinematics of the selected machine.
You can export the machining result as a *.stl file from one SprutCAM project for use as the workpiece in another project.

I hope this helps?

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Rahmtech
post Jan 9 2016, 06:14 PM
Post #5

Thanks Dave
Yes and no. It is kind of what I?m looking for. I have done some tests with different Cordinate Systems before with mixed results. Depending on the number of parts to be made I often do one setup on all parts and then continue with the next setup on all parts. Sometime the second setup is milled in a fixture and the first is milled in a wise. In that case your Stop:Flip Part don?t work so good. It works as long as the number of operations is small. My suggestion is more like two programs with and automatic stock feature for Program#2, like the .stl file but without the drawback. To make it realy powerfull there must be possible to have different fixtures for each setup.

To make it easier to work with the end of each setup must have a "hard" stop. Your Stop:Flip Part is "soft" and don?t stop SC from calculate and post process operations futher down. A "hard" lets you decide which setup to post process and only calculate the operations and setups above not to waste calculation time. Then we can have as many setups as we need without any enable/disable operations trouble like it will be with your Stop:Flip Part when the number of operations increase.

Is it understandable?

/micke

+Quote Post
Rahmtech
post Jan 9 2016, 07:05 PM
Post #6

Hi Dave
Group functions is pretty much what I want. The major drawbacks so far is that I can?t have different fixtures in each group and I can?t post process one group at time with a right click but this is all minor issues. If the fixtures could be controlled on group level it would be easier. This is very close what I?m after. I haven?t used groups bere because I didn?t knofow why to use them.

I?ll try this out more and if I remember make an update on the post.

/micke
Attached File(s)
Attached File  test.stc ( 513.58K ) Number of downloads: 2

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 9 2016, 10:32 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

I'm just finishing up for the day here, but you can download a slightly modified version of my previous project that now includes a couple of Groups that have their own fixtures. As you can see with the second group I have disabled the group for postprocessing. You can see the crosses that show this. Just double left click the cross on the Group and this will enable all of the Group for postprocessing again.

I hope this helps?

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Rahmtech
post Jan 10 2016, 10:08 AM
Post #8

After some trial and error I got it to work with imported fixtures as well. Great! Yes, the enable/disable on group level is great. It solved the problem that we got in your first demo if there was many operations.

Again. Thanks Dave! Tips like this is very valuable.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Setup1.PNG ( 806.81K ) Number of downloads: 5
Attached File  Setup2.PNG ( 804.08K ) Number of downloads: 5
Attached File  Setup3.PNG ( 799.12K ) Number of downloads: 5

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2017 - 01:57 AM