Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access Violations again, How do I solve these
Bevin
post Jul 4 2009, 01:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,738

Hi,
I am still getting Access Violations and the cure of deleting the two files seems to have no effect.

I have always had these events since I acquired SC (ver 4.5 I think) although they occur less frequently now. Initially, I would have to close SC using Task Manager and then restart. But after one of the subsequent upgrades, I could restart normally.

I am now running 5.51 build 23014 , and thought all was fixed after about 30 odd hours of operation but another one has just occured. I haven't bothered deleting the two files that Dave Pearson from Sprut UK said may help because it has never worked for me. The warning message just displays, I hit return and then I normally restart, but sometimes I would continue what I was doing for a little while without any misbehaviour. I have not been able to detect a pattern of key strokes that causes an event. By the way, I am running SC on a laptop which should not make a difference but I am not sure that the SC programmers have not dabbled further into the operating system than Microsoft recommends.

The problem is just an annoyance now, but it is disappointing that it is still not cured. In the past I did send a few inquiries to SprutCAM tech support but having received no replies, I no longer bother. SC Russia continues to do its own thing expanding the capability while ignoring all but fatal bugs, problems/inconsistencies in the user interface, absence of usable documentation, and based upon my experiences and those of others, SC Russia ignores users requests for help.

Any comments anyone? .
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mayhugh1
post Jul 4 2009, 07:11 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 49

QUOTE (Bevin @ Jul 4 2009, 01:47 AM) *
Hi,
I am still getting Access Violations and the cure of deleting the two files seems to have no effect.

I have always had these events since I acquired SC (ver 4.5 I think) although they occur less frequently now. Initially, I would have to close SC using Task Manager and then restart. But after one of the subsequent upgrades, I could restart normally.

I am now running 5.51 build 23014 , and thought all was fixed after about 30 odd hours of operation but another one has just occured. I haven't bothered deleting the two files that Dave Pearson from Sprut UK said may help because it has never worked for me. The warning message just displays, I hit return and then I normally restart, but sometimes I would continue what I was doing for a little while without any misbehaviour. I have not been able to detect a pattern of key strokes that causes an event. By the way, I am running SC on a laptop which should not make a difference but I am not sure that the SC programmers have not dabbled further into the operating system than Microsoft recommends.

The problem is just an annoyance now, but it is disappointing that it is still not cured. In the past I did send a few inquiries to SprutCAM tech support but having received no replies, I no longer bother. SC Russia continues to do its own thing expanding the capability while ignoring all but fatal bugs, problems/inconsistencies in the user interface, absence of usable documentation, and based upon my experiences and those of others, SC Russia ignores users requests for help.

Any comments anyone? .

I had some similar problems a year or two ago. I was seeing access violations on one machine but not the other. In my case I think it was related to my graphics card. On the computer I was having difficulty with. I was running the internal motherboard graphics controller. In the motherboard bios I tried increasing the amount of memory dedicated to the graphics and it seemed to help but did not entirely solve the problem. So I bought a medium performance Nvidia graphics card for it and the problem completely disappeared. It's possible there were some other factors involved but I tried to control the changes to my setup as best I could while troubleshooting it. I even completely skipped an update to keep the application consistent while I was sorting it out. I now run Sprut on my shop and house computers as well as my laptop (all three have external graphics cards including the Dell laptop) and haven't seen it in a real long time. I can, though, trick XP into an access violation. When I quit Sprut it takes a few seconds for the application to completely close. If after quitting I immediately start up another application like Mach or Solidworks before Sprut has cleanly quit and the lower tray Sprut icon goes away, I can usually force an access violation. I just don't do that anymore. Sprutcam is pretty stable here maybe even more than 2007 Solidworks. - Terry

--------------------
Terry

+Quote Post
Bevin
post Jul 15 2009, 02:11 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,738

Hi Terry,
Sorry to be so slow in replying. I was waiting for an email from the Forum saying that I had a reply, silly of me. And then I became engaged with more immediate activities.

Yes, I think you may be correct in suspecting Access Violations are due to graphics processing. I am using a higher end HP laptop (nc8430) but I don't think the graphics card is up to the task. During SC tool path animation, there are a lot of artifacts left in the trail of the cutter path making it difficult to see the result until the operation has ceased and I move the image to get it redrawn. When I was evaluating other CAM packages, I had the same problem with some of them. But surprisingly, I use that marvellous product SketchUp and have never had problems displaying their animated images.

So the problem of the Access Violations could very well be graphics-engine based. I checked that I had the latest graphics update but there were none since the original release of the laptop about two years ago.... HP have moved on to current graphics cards. As the history has continually shown, any IT product becomes obsolete in about two years at the most. In fact I read an article recently in a consumer magazine that the "life" of mobile phones is less than one year and getting shorter as this market explodes with new technology.

I wonder if other SC users are still experiencing Access Violations.

Anyway thanks very much for your input Terry. See you around the other forums we share.
Bevin

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2018 - 09:18 PM