Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Using a slitting saw, How to SC a slitting saw operation
Bevin
post Feb 10 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,738

I have just purchased SprutCAM 5.47 after trialling it for a month and viewing the excellent tutorial videos from Dave of Sprut UK. So I am a beginner with a few weeks of hands-on learning, and I'm having a problem.

I wish to use a splitting saw to put a slot in one side of a collar. The saw is 60mm diameter, 3mm wide. I examined the slitting saw operation in Project 49.1 from ...\Examples\4D Milling and can see a vertical surface or profile outside of the workpiece and also a single line inside the bore. I guess at least one of them is needed for a slitting saw operation, and I have been given to ideas to achieve the results.

1. In 2D Geometry, create a straight vertical face 3mm high to be machined using '2D Contouring' operation as if the saw were an end mill of 3mm length.
2. In 2D Geometry, create a straight line located just inside the bore of the collar and coplanar with the side surface of the slot. The straight line would be the profile for the "end mill" to machine using 2D Contouring operation.

I tried to create the vertical surface but the rectangle I drew using a local CS, and which I Chained, was not seen as a surface when I tried to Job Assignment it for a 2D Contouring operation. Perhaps I have to draw just one line and extrude it 3mm high to form a surface. Can SC 2D Geomtery do this?

I also tried to '2D Contouring' the straigt line but the line was not seen as a contour for the Job Assignment.

In both attempts I remembered to return to Global Mill CS while in Machining.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Bevin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Live
post Feb 10 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,767

Hello Bevin,

I think, you have not to do any additional drafting in the 2d Geometry.

You can add vertical faces as well as model edges to the job assignment of the 2d contouring operation.
By default there are no edges in the geometry model. To create them go to the 3D Model tab than make the Part folder in the Full Model tree active and press the Sew button. The Sew dialog should appear. It tries to stitch the part faces together and create edges and vertices. The resulting entities should appear in the graphic view. Press OK to create them.

Than check the Edges button on the Filter toolbar to make them avialable for selection. Now if you move the mouse over an edge it should higlight. You can select edge chains with the mouse holding the "Ctrl" button on the keyboard and add them as a job assignment of the milling and turning operations.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Feb 11 2009, 07:46 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Bevin @ Feb 10 2009, 11:00 AM) *
I have just purchased SprutCAM 5.47 after trialling it for a month and viewing the excellent tutorial videos from Dave of Sprut UK. So I am a beginner with a few weeks of hands-on learning, and I'm having a problem.

I wish to use a splitting saw to put a slot in one side of a collar. The saw is 60mm diameter, 3mm wide. I examined the slitting saw operation in Project 49.1 from ...\Examples\4D Milling and can see a vertical surface or profile outside of the workpiece and also a single line inside the bore. I guess at least one of them is needed for a slitting saw operation, and I have been given to ideas to achieve the results.

1. In 2D Geometry, create a straight vertical face 3mm high to be machined using '2D Contouring' operation as if the saw were an end mill of 3mm length.
2. In 2D Geometry, create a straight line located just inside the bore of the collar and coplanar with the side surface of the slot. The straight line would be the profile for the "end mill" to machine using 2D Contouring operation.

I tried to create the vertical surface but the rectangle I drew using a local CS, and which I Chained, was not seen as a surface when I tried to Job Assignment it for a 2D Contouring operation. Perhaps I have to draw just one line and extrude it 3mm high to form a surface. Can SC 2D Geomtery do this?

I also tried to '2D Contouring' the straigt line but the line was not seen as a contour for the Job Assignment.

In both attempts I remembered to return to Global Mill CS while in Machining.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Bevin

Hi Bevin,

SprutCAM does not create surface / solid geometry when using the 2D geometry tools, it only creates curves (lines / arcs).
You can select a vertical face or a 2D curve as the Job assignment, but don't forget to select which side the tool will be offset...............with 2D Contouring the tool can travel along the centreline or to the left or right of the curve / face. I would also suggets that you deselect the 'Compensation' option too.
You must also define the Top and Bottom levels in the Parameters tab for the operation.

If you get the latest build of SprutCAM you will be able to open the example project which I sent to you previously.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Bevin
post Feb 12 2009, 07:23 AM
Post #4

Hi Live,
Yes you are correct, I don't have to draw anything in 2D, just Sew and select the edge, and then fiddle with the Curve Properties, and Parameters to get the tool path the way I want it. The suer interface is not very intuitive for me at present, but now I have finished the project and learning all the time.
By the way, where is the Filters toolbar you mentioned when selecting the desired edge?

Thanks Live.

Hi Dave,
I was reluctant to download the latest verion of SC because I have yet to confirm that I can update my Tormach version because it has some minor mods from the off-the-shelf version (such as having only the Tormach postprocessor). Also I was concerned about loading another version of SC while trying to retain my existing preferences etc.
I had to uninstall the SC trial version before I installed the Tormach "version", but I found that Windows uninstall left a number of important artifacts that had to be removed by an SC Technology utility. You probably are aware of this, or perhaps it may be applicable only to the Tormach "version". Anyway, a lot of messing about just to open the file, when you ahd already given me pointers to what I should do.

I also received assistance from SC RU and found that the key is the Sew function. Very important feature yet the word SEW does not appear in the User Manual. Clicking on the Help in the Sew Faces window takes you to the Intersect information!!! I suppose reading that section thoroughly would allow you to deduce the probable function of Sew but I find the time it takes to study the manual usually gains you little applicable knowledge.

But I have the slitting saw working just fine now, and probably the hours spent experimenting has made it more likely I will remember how to do it in the future.

Thanks to both of you for your assistance, and speedy response.
Bevin

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Feb 12 2009, 08:48 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Bevin,

I'm glad you got there in the end. I always advise my customers to try and solve a problem themselves first before contacting me, that way, if they solve the problem they WILL remember how to solve it next time it happens.

As you have found you can use the 'Sew' option, you could also have used the 'Intersect' and 'Project' function too, these all create lots of curves which aren't always neccessary that's why for your job I prefer to create one curve directly from the 3D model using the 2D geometry tools which can then be offset to allow the tool to cut inside of the actual edge.

Currently, all versions of SprutCAM use the same install file (apart from the demo version) and the functionality of the installation is governed by the current softlock / hardlock activation.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Live
post Feb 12 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,767

QUOTE (Bevin @ Feb 12 2009, 10:23 AM) *
By the way, where is the Filters toolbar you mentioned when selecting the desired edge?

Hello Bevin,
The Filters toolbar controls what primitives can be picked from the screen. It is usually placed at the top of the window. All the buttons of the toolbar are marked with a funnel overlay icon.

+Quote Post
Bevin
post Feb 15 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #7

Aaahhh, you mean that big strip with 7 buttons, the one listed in View--Toolbars---Filters and which I ticked on day one, and which has been at the top of my screen ever since.... that one? OK I have it now.

It reminds me of a cartoon drawing of a cockpit with the captain pointing to the instrument panel overhead and saying "Hey, I haven't seen those before!!"

Thanks Live,

QUOTE (Live @ Feb 13 2009, 06:34 AM) *
Hello Bevin,
The Filters toolbar controls what primitives can be picked from the screen. It is usually placed at the top of the window. All the buttons of the toolbar are marked with a funnel overlay icon.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2018 - 09:18 PM