Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DXF Import and Editing
rtp_burnsville
post Jan 23 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,734

Hi,

I am a new SprutCam user and have a couple questions on DXF import.

1) When importing a DXF file are the drawing layers ignored or am I missing some option that needs to be turned on? Typically I draw DXF files with a layer defined for each operation. When I 3D import into Sprut all of the drawing features appear on one predefined layer so one has to re-select and re-sort everything into groups or operations. Needless to say this is a major pain.

2) Once a file is imported are you able to edit using the 2D features of Sprut? My drawing appears in the 3D screen but when I select the 2D mode it's like the file disappears. Is the 2D mode only for creating new drawings and not editing previous drawings? Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Robert
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 24 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

1) DXF's are imported on a single layer (folder). Without having seen one of your DXF files I cannot imagine why you would need to separate features.......can't you just select the features required for each individual operation?

2) It is not possible to import DXF files into the 2D Geometry section of SprutCAM, you can only create 2D geometry. You can create 2D geometry based on imported 2D / 3D geometry (use 3D model snap) which you can then copy and paste (3D Model mode) into an existing model folder. This can be useful for repairing / modifying existing imported dxf files etc.
If you cannot see the imported dxf geometry when you switch to 2D geometry mode, make sure that you have the 'Geometry model visibility' option selected.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
rtp_burnsville
post Jan 26 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,734

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response...

I like to draw using layers in the DXF file as it allows for easy design verification. When I draw, each layer becomes it's own machine operation. I started doing this when I was using SheetCam and it worked out nicely and the drawing became organized to allow changes without any extra effort. SheetCam defines an operation via layers in the DXF file. Yes, I can select feature in SprutCam but it's repeating effort which was already complete in the drawing file.

Thanks for the info on the 2D editor.... I sort of figured that it was not really developed to modify the original import but rather as a way to design within the CAM package.

Robert Parent

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2018 - 10:26 PM