Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie questions
Jim P.
post Nov 7 2007, 04:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,092

Hello,
I am new to CNC machining, but not new to CAD and solid modelling. I am using SprutCAM 2007 and AutoDesk Inventor 10 and have encountered some problems:

1. What format is best to export IGES files in? My choices include '143-Bounded', '144 Trimmed' and within those I have choices for 'solids', 'surfaces', 'wireframe', as well as 'NURBS' and 'Analytic'. In some cases I get missing faces when importing the model to SprutCAM.

2. I cannot directly click on faces to choose them when in the machining tab. I choose the faces in the model importing tab, manually write down the face numbers, then switch to the machining tab and select them from the list of faces. Why can't I choose the faces directly - is it to do with the IGES format in #1 above?

3. SprutCAM claims to support Inventor native format files, but when I try to import them, nothing comes in.

If anyone can offer some pointers, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks
Jim
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Nov 7 2007, 05:22 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Jim, and welcome to the forum.
There is an addin in SprutCAM 2007 for Inventor...it might be worth trying that if you have them both installed on the same PC.
In SprutCAM select 'Tools - Addin manager'. I don't have Inventor so cannot vouch for it's functionality.......let me know how you get on with it.

The Help files in SprutCAM have more information on the required *.IGS format. Do a search on 'Import' and you'll soon find it.
I have used Analytic in previous versions of Inventor with some success.......

You must have the 'Geometrical model visibility' option turned on to be able to select faces etc. You will find the toolbar for this at the bottom of the main SprutCAM window.

Dave

Beer makes you feel how you ought to feel without beer.

+Quote Post
Jim P.
post Nov 7 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,092

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the speedy reply - the Geometrical model visibility button was what I missed.

I installed the Inventor add in shortly after installing SprutCAM. SprutCAM acknowledges the Inventor file extension but doesn't import anything when I choose a native Inventor part file. The import screen appears but no faces or surfaces etc are analysed and brought in. Once the OK button becomes active, clicking on it results in the main window displaying only the origin, and the part section in the active file list remains empty on both the model import screen and the machining operation screen.

I have watched demos of SprutCAM importing Alibre files directly and it appeared to work at lot more smoothly than my experiences with Inventor. Have others experienced trouble with Inventor?

I have read through the help files on IGES importation in the SprutCAM help several times in the past, but Inventors export choices are as I outlined in my first post, and there isn't the level of detail or control that the help file mentions. I had hoped it wouldn't be necessary for me to delve into an IGES file technical reference, but will do so if I continue to experience difficulty.

Jim

+Quote Post
markwink
post Feb 15 2008, 12:36 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,306

Jim,

I cannot get the Inventor Plugin to work either.

Although I import the iges as a Solid/Analytic/bounded.

I'am able to highlight the face and hit the "add" button to select the faces.

... a little late for a post, This is my third day with the program, and a few days away from getting it all figured out.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Feb 15 2008, 07:39 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Markwink / Jim,

There are two SprutCAM Addins relating to Inventor.
One should allow you to open native Inventor files from within SprutCAM, the other should create an option (shortcut?) within Inventor to allow you to open SprutCAM with the current Inventor project loaded.
Have you tried both of the Addins?

I don't have Inventor, so I cannot test these Addins. If you can let me know if either of them work and I will let the software engineers know.
As far as I am aware, all that the addins actually do is automate the export of *.IGS files from Inventor for import into SprutCAM.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
markwink
post Feb 15 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #6

Dave,

Yes, I have tried both.

They give every indication of working (the precent goes up in the bottom right corner).

The machine appears to try, although nothing appears in the window.

Thanks,
Mark

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Feb 16 2008, 10:02 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Hi Mark, Ok thanks. I will e-mail the software engineers and ask them what the status of the Inventor Addins are. I'll post up when I get a reply.
Just to clarify, are you currently able to export an *.IGS from Inventor and bring this into SprutCAM 2007?

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
markwink
post Feb 16 2008, 02:33 PM
Post #8

Dave,

Yes, that is my work around for now (convert to iges and import).

I was under the impression that the Inventor Add-in created a link (association) with the source ipt,iam files to help track part changes. Is this true.

Are there newer tutorials for 2007 the current ones reference Ver 4 and don't match the new interface.

I'm coming from a 2.5d with dxf import, I'm able create code with the sample files (although probably not as efficiently as I could)

Thanks
Mark

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Feb 16 2008, 04:59 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

The Addins should update the geometry in SprutCAM.
If you are running SprutCAM, and you make a change to the part in Inventor, if you use the SprutCAM link (shortcut?) from Inventor, it should update the part in the current SprutCAM project, you then just need to re-run the toolpaths based on the new part.

The tutorials for version 2007 are a bit lacking a the moment. I'm hoping that we will get some more soon.

If you've got any questions, put them up on the forum.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Feb 18 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Ok I have heard from the software engineers, they are investigating the Inventor Addin problem. I'll post up when I hear more.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
markwink
post Feb 18 2008, 02:55 PM
Post #11

Thanks for the help Dave

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2019 - 04:51 PM