Reply to this topicStart new topic
> initialization, tool offsets
Al_
post Oct 14 2013, 11:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,548

I am new to SprutCAM.
When I start a program after turning on the machine, the first operation seems to want to put the cutter through the table.
After hitting the emergency stop button and restart the gcode, everything is fine.
I feel lucky that I have caught this while doing air cutting as I would hate to mangle a table and more.
I think that I have set up the tool tables in SprutCAM and TorMach to represent the tools correctly since after the initial "situation" is over, it all works correctly including tool changes.
Help appreciated!

Al
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Oct 15 2013, 06:07 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Al,

You say that you are new to SprutCAM, are you also new to Tormach?

I believe that there are a few Tormach users on the forum, so maybe they can give you some pointers on setting up the tool lengths etc. if that is the cause of your problem?

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
jim
post Oct 17 2013, 07:00 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,496

I am assuming you’re using Mach 3?

And the sequence go’s something like switch on > ref all > load g code > regen > g code so the tool path shows up on the screen and somewhere in among all this set tool 1 Z height?

Not had your problem before though plenty of red button moments so I would suggest you give the above sequence a try and see if it clears it.

Jim

+Quote Post
bones288
post Oct 28 2013, 04:48 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,509

Al,

Tormach and SprutCAM offsets have caused me more than one problem, gouged models, and vise jaws. smile.gif

If the display panel doesn't have the tool offset light blinking then you can't be sure that you're using the expected offsets of the current tool or the tool you've just finished with. Don't assume anything as it's probably the latter.

What I do as a firm rule, when running code for the first time EVERYTIME, is to drop my feed rate to something around 10% before I press 'cycle start'. As the tool heads to the work I continuously monitor the display to see if what the gcode is telling the mill to do (code Z = ?) and where the mill thinks the tool actually is (position Z = +/-?) to make sure the two items are in sync.

You can adjust the feed rate accordingly at this point, though I wouldn't recommend pressing 'Reset' making the feed rate 100% quite yet. Run the entire code block with extreme reservation and scrutiny through to completion at least once.

Another thing to watch is that Tormach takes all offsets in Imperial units (inches). If you enter your offsets as millimeters then you're telling your machine apples and giving it oranges. You can change this in one of the configuration tabs but I just enter it in Imperial after having converted it from Metric. If you're working exclusively in inches then disregard this.

One last thing, when using SprutCAM to adjust local CS points for your model, assuming you need more than just the Global CS point as I do, then DEFINITELY start your tool paths the first time very slowly. Creating your own CS points to attack the model from different angles can be really terrific once you figure out all of the in/outs of the process . . . but it's really easy to mess up if you accidentally leave a step out or set something wrong.

This is probably trivial info for 99% of the ppl on this forum . . . but it would have helped me tremendously when I first started running SprutCAM and Tormach.

I hope something here helps. Good luck.

-Bones

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2019 - 04:22 PM