Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sliting Saw
pbachert
post Jun 21 2011, 08:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,729

Anyone know how to make a slitting saw cut a simple slot in sprut without using a 2d contour like Tormach shows. I can't get the saw to move to the workpiece and cut thre slot. I've changed the diameter of the tool, approach, thickness etc. still nothing. This should be a painless cut, part is 1/4" thick, .093 slot, about .45 deep.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jun 22 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (pbachert @ Jun 21 2011, 09:03 PM) *
Anyone know how to make a slitting saw cut a simple slot in sprut without using a 2d contour like Tormach shows. I can't get the saw to move to the workpiece and cut thre slot. I've changed the diameter of the tool, approach, thickness etc. still nothing. This should be a painless cut, part is 1/4" thick, .093 slot, about .45 deep.

Can you provide a SprutCAM project so that we can see what it is that you are trying to do?

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
pbachert
post Jun 22 2011, 03:40 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Jun 22 2011, 11:01 AM) *
Can you provide a SprutCAM project so that we can see what it is that you are trying to do?

Dave

Thanks for the response. Here is the project, Pete
Attached File(s)
Attached File  A_8562_M_Side.stc ( 148.17K ) Number of downloads: 69

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jun 22 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (pbachert @ Jun 22 2011, 04:40 PM) *
Thanks for the response. Here is the project, Pete

Hi Pete, ok, you will not be able to use the Waterline roughing operation to do this. This operation cannot machine area's that are 'hidden' from the diameter of the tool.
You will have to use either 2D or 3D Contouring.
I am just going out now, but if you are unsure of how to do this, let me know and I'll modify your project when I get back later.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
pbachert
post Jun 22 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Jun 22 2011, 12:15 PM) *
Hi Pete, ok, you will not be able to use the Waterline roughing operation to do this. This operation cannot machine area's that are 'hidden' from the diameter of the tool.
You will have to use either 2D or 3D Contouring.
I am just going out now, but if you are unsure of how to do this, let me know and I'll modify your project when I get back later.

Dave

Thanks Dave, that explains why the tool will not advance to the workpiece. I tried 2D contouring and it wouldn't let me select the surfaces for machining. I guess I thought that selection was more for contoured surfaces which this isn't. Also I apparently need to create 2D geometry to pick for machining. I'll play with it some more and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for the hellp, Pete

+Quote Post
pbachert
post Jun 22 2011, 07:32 PM
Post #6

Dave, I finally figured it out. Here's my final project, seems to be working. Can you have a look at it and see if it's correct? Thanks, Pete
Attached File(s)
Attached File  A_8562_M_Side.stc ( 150.03K ) Number of downloads: 78

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jun 22 2011, 08:27 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (pbachert @ Jun 22 2011, 08:32 PM) *
Dave, I finally figured it out. Here's my final project, seems to be working. Can you have a look at it and see if it's correct? Thanks, Pete

Hi Pete, yes that should work ok.
Instead of creating the 2D geometry, you could have selected one of the 'Edges' of the faces.
The only changes I would make would be, add a stock of -0,05" to allow the cutter to cut over the required edge. I would change the Approach and Retraction paths to Tangent and the Transition to 'Via safe plane'

I noted that you are running quite an old build of SprutCAM 7 and would suggest that you update this either from the Tormach site or the main Sprut Russia site.

I hope this helps.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
pbachert
post Jun 22 2011, 08:30 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Sprut_UK @ Jun 22 2011, 04:27 PM) *
Hi Pete, yes that should work ok.
Instead of creating the 2D geometry, you could have selected one of the 'Edges' of the faces.
The only changes I would make would be, add a stock of -0,05" to allow the cutter to cut over the required edge. I would change the Approach and Retraction paths to Tangent and the Transition to 'Via safe plane'

I noted that you are running quite an old build of SprutCAM 7 and would suggest that you update this either from the Tormach site or the main Sprut Russia site.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Dave, it helps a ton. I wan't to personally thank you for all the time and effort you put into this forum, you have helped me out on multiple occasions and I can't thank you enough, Pete

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2019 - 03:46 PM