Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any way to fix this?
rsmachine
post Jan 8 2008, 04:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,872

I have been banging my head against the wall on a couple of things, because they're probably simple changes, but here goes:

I am using the Tormach post provided by Tormach for my machine

1. The first thing I would like to change is, making the first move just after a tool change, and the initial move of the next process using the same tool a rapid move instead of a feed move.

2. Also on the initial move after a tool change place the Spindle RPM on the same line as the initial move, and move the initial Z to the next line.

3. Im not sure why, but the latest post that Tormach puts out shuts the coolant off at the end of a tool process and turns it back on right after the next process of the same tool.

Please help,

Sean
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 8 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Sean, I don't have the postprocessor that you are using, so I can only give you some hints as to how to tackle these problems........

>making the first move just after a tool change, and the initial move of the next process using the same tool a rapid move instead of a feed move
Assuming that SprutCAM is putting a 'RAPID' command in the CLData, but the postprocessor is 'ignoring' this, you need to understand that the postprocessor will only generate an output from a register if the current register value is different to it's previous (old) value.
Assuming that your post is using INTERP_ to control the output of G0 / G1 / G2 / G3, if the value of INTERP_@ (old register value) equals zero, and the new value assigned to INTERP_ equals zero, then it will not output anything.
To overcome this I would look at adding something like INTERP_@ = MaxReal into the LoadTl program. This makes the old value different to the new value and will output G0 on the next RAPID move.

>Also on the initial move after a tool change place the Spindle RPM on the same line as the initial move, and move the initial Z to the next line
For this we need to delay the output of the first Z move after a toolchange. Again, this depends on how your post is written, but I would look to do something like this:
Create a new global variable called for example IsFirstMove
In the Partno program, initialise the IsFirstMove variable value, let's give it the value of 1 if we want the Z to appear on a separate line. You should use this IsFirstMove = 1.

Now we need to look at the ABSMOV program which outputs Goto commands. If we had something like this to output X/Y/Z movements:

X = cld[1]
Y = cld[2]
Z = cld[3]
Call OutBl
this would output an XY & Z move on every line if their values changed.
I would change it to this to do what you need:

X = cld[1]
Y = cld[2]
If IsFirstMove = 1 then begin ! if first move after toolchange
Call OutBl ! output the XY moves
IsFirstMove = 0 ! reset the variable
End
Z = cld[3]
Call OutBl

We also need to update the value of IsFirstMove after every toolchange, so I would add this to the LoadTl program:
IsFirstMove = 1

>the latest post that Tormach puts out shuts the coolant off at the end of a tool process and turns it back on right after the next process of the same tool

I'll let you work this one out....I'll give you a clue though....you can use a similar method to the previous one (CoolNt program) and you want to check if the value of the Predefined variable NextToolNum is the same as the current Tool number.

I hope this helps......let me know how you get on.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
rsmachine
post Jan 8 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #3

Thanks Dave,

I will peruse this and let you know how it turns out. BTW, a couple of days ago I spotted a post you had left on CNCzone's forum about the lathe post you are working on, FANTASTIC WORK!!! I ended up scrapping the one I was working on because yours was so much better. It actually is very close to what I need as it was written.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 9 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

I'm glad you liked the lathe post......if you do use it let me know how you get on with it as I don't currently have a machine here to test it on.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
rsmachine
post Jan 9 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #5

Dave,

I incorporated some changes to my Tormach post based on what you replied with, and it worked perfectly. The only thing left is the coolant thing which I haven't found the answer to yet, but I will.

The lathe post is almost perfect for my machine. I have 2 things left to do with it to try it out.

1. I need to fix the G92 and G96/G97 output for each tool as these are important for any lathe, otherwhise the machine will get confused with just a S output with nothing else.

and..

2. I need to incorporate the spacing fix I had asked you about in an earlier thread on this forum.

Other than that it should work quite well for my machine.

One thing you should know though, Fanuc controls use G50 instead of G92 for the Max RPM.

Thanks again,

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 9 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Hi Sean, try the attached version that I have adapted for a TRYAX lathe (Centroid control) which uses the same Fanuc language. On this one the CSS / RPM output is probably a bit more up together.
Some Fanuc controls do use G50 and some use G92 for Max rpm........the machine tool manufacturer generally defines how a particular machine works and which G-codes are used.
On some older Fanuc controls G50 is also used to set the Z zero (datum) position as well as the max rpm, so care must be taken when using a Fanuc postprocessor on any lathe, even if they have the same designation e.g. Fanuc OT, they may use different G-codes........ ohmy.gif

I used to be a CNC application/training engineer and these things have caught me and many others out in the past........

What control is it your are using on your lathe?

Dave

Forum attachments don't appear to be working.......download the file here instead.

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
rsmachine
post Jan 9 2008, 07:40 PM
Post #7

I have an EmcoTurn120P that uses the EmcotronicTM02 control. Good machine and control, but kind of finicky on the post. Plus I will have to change some of the designations for the threading output as this machine uses D numbers instead of I, P, Q, R, etc.. For example the depth of cut is written as D3=250, which would be a .025" depth of cut.

Interesting about the G92 on Fanuc's, I guess I haven't run across that yet. I will have to keep my eyes open. I actually have 15 years of experience running all kinds of lathes and machining centers. I have run 6T, OT, 10T, 11T, 15T, 18T, and 21T controls as well as a couple Mitsubishi's, and Yasnac's. I do remember on the 6T's that you use G50 for the offsets and G50 for the max RPM. Most later machines used G54, G55, etc. Interesting tidbit!

I will try this post you attached and see what it looks like.

Thanks

+Quote Post
rsmachine
post Jan 9 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #8

I just tried to download the file and the site won't let me? For some reason it says I am not logged in.

Please send it to sormson@rsmachineco.com

Thanks

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 9 2008, 11:50 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (rsmachine @ Jan 9 2008, 07:44 PM) *
I just tried to download the file and the site won't let me? For some reason it says I am not logged in.

Please send it to sormson@rsmachineco.com

Thanks

Attachments don't appear to be working on the forum, I have put a download shortcut in the previous posting instead.

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
rsmachine
post Jan 10 2008, 01:21 AM
Post #10

Got it, Thanks!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th February 2019 - 09:01 AM