Reply to this topicStart new topic
> shifting z-axis for 2.5D geometry
mayhugh1
post Oct 11 2006, 04:57 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 49

After importing a DXF and creating the 2.5 geometry I would like to shift the z-axis so that Z=0 is at the top surface of the geometery so the G-code generated will assume that all cutting is to be in the negative z direction. How do I do this? I have tried creating a new local CS1 after creating the 2.5D geometry with the proper shift and although it sometimes appears properly in the generated toolpath, the G-code generated is always referred to the global mill coordinate system. I have also tried changing the parameters in the machining job to CS1 but that seems to reset the location of the z-axis back to where it was in the global cs in the machining model. I realize that I might be able to plan ahead and create the geometry in the right position in the first place but I'm still wrestling with the interactions of the z-level and type parameters when creating the geometry. Anyway, it doesn't seem uneasonable to want to shift the axis of the completed geometry before generating the toolpath to get the G-code referred to a convenient and/or familiar place on the mill. (Sprutcam does seem to honor the new coordinate system when generating the g-code for 3D models.)

Terry

Terry
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Oct 12 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Terry, sorry for the slow response but i have been out of the office for a few days training.
When creating a 2.5D machining strategy you apply the height / depth direct to each piece of the geometry, so it shouldn't be necessary to use a local CS for doing this.
If you try doing the SprutCAM Tutorial - 'Inches' - '2D Machining' this explains how to create a 2.5D model for machining.
Give this a go and see if this answers your questions.
If not, then please e-mail the project that you are working on and I'll take a look for you.

Dave
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2019 - 12:18 PM